Talk

Advanced search

To wonder how the hell I’m still pregnant?

(108 Posts)
sinustrain Mon 18-May-20 14:33:21

Last time I saw DP was on March 19th, so earliest I could be is 10W4D.

On 22nd of March I began to spot, and then the next day had absolutely horrendous horrendous cramps and heavy clotty bleeding that left me being sick and bed bound. Then it continued like a normal period until March 31st. Except it clearly wasn’t a normal period and I assumed it must have been a MC. Don’t give it much thought once it ends.

Then on April 27th my period comes as normal. Usual flow, lasts 6 days. I assume everything is back to normal post ‘miscarriage’.

Except for the past week I’ve been feeling incredibly odd. Mid-back pain, indigestion even though I’ve not been eating much, dizziness when standing up. Yesterday I took a spare P test I had lying around just to pass some time, not expecting it to be positive at all. Except it was.

I’m absolutely stunned. How has baby survived both bouts of bleeding, the first of which was way heavier than a normal bleed? I’ve managed to get an appointment for Wednesday but I just can’t comprehend it. Has this happened to anybody else?

OP’s posts: |
sinustrain Mon 18-May-20 15:08:21

@JinglingHellsBells certainly wasn’t planned or on the agenda but now I definitely want this one to pull through. I’m just very much in shock

anothernamechangeagain Mon 18-May-20 15:08:39

You must be around 14 weeks ....

Needingsupportplease Mon 18-May-20 15:08:59

You need to ring the gp or epu so you can be sent to the correct place for a scan. You could of lost the baby though and could have something stuck, or your hcg is just been very slow to decrease which is why you have a positive test or baby could be there and ok. Hope you get the result you want x

RyanBergarasTeeth Mon 18-May-20 15:09:11

Pregnancy can survive heavy bleeding for all sorts of reasons. It could have been a multiple pregnancy and only one mc. Or i dont want to scare you but it could have been a mc and your left with retained products. You need to be seen at an epu for a scan and bloods to see whats happening.

dottiedodah Mon 18-May-20 15:09:12

I agree with PP ,could it be a twin pregnancy that went wrong do you think? Maybe an idea to see your GP for a once over maybe ?

newtb Mon 18-May-20 15:09:19

There's always the possibility that you had fraternal twins and lost one.

anothernamechangeagain Mon 18-May-20 15:09:19

If you haven't seen your partner since March then you must have conceived in the cycle from your period in February

TheLashKingOfScotland Mon 18-May-20 15:10:03

This happened to my DM and my DSIS. In fact, my DM's periods continued for most of her pregnancy.

QuestionMarkNow Mon 18-May-20 15:10:13

I would contact your MW @sinustrain.
The tests says its positive. You are still feeling weird symptoms. I think you need to be checked over.

Rezie Mon 18-May-20 15:10:59

After my miscarriage I had to go to the lab every week until the test wasn't positive anymore. I think I had to go in 3 times and the actual miscarriage was weeks earlier before I actually did a test. So could be that the test is still positive after mc or could be that the bleeding was not a mc but something else.

Thingsthatgo Mon 18-May-20 15:11:48

just so you know, there’s a possibility that you aren’t pregnant anymore, but that your body thinks that you are and is still producing pregnancy hormones because the miscarriage was incomplete. It happened to me a couple of times.
I very much hope that you get the result that you want.

TheMShip Mon 18-May-20 15:14:23

@sinustrain Feeling "off", "not yourself", "odd", the bleeds, plus the pain under your ribs, I think you need to get checked out at your EPAU. You have some of the symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy. I speak from experience - I had this and it ruptured, required emergency surgery and an awful lot of blood transfusions. If it's caught before that it's much less serious. Please go.

antipodalpizza Mon 18-May-20 15:14:29

I'd go and see the EPU. If you get shoulder pain then phone the NHS (or whatever your local health care is) for advice.

sinustrain Mon 18-May-20 15:16:18

@anothernamechangeagain

That’s true. My app predicts that following the Feb period I ovulated March 8th. And unprotected sex occurred March 10th. I was technically on the pill but hadn’t been on it a long time and was silly and missed pills unintentionally on a few occasions. I’d always take them once I remembered that I’d missed but it’d always be sporadic.

Hippofrog Mon 18-May-20 15:16:37

I know someone who had very similar, she lost a twin early on.

Bananacloud Mon 18-May-20 15:19:14

Why o why have you not contacted your EPAU???

WreckTangle95 Mon 18-May-20 15:19:56

Hope you are OK OP! That must be a huge shock for you 💐

Evasmummy2019 Mon 18-May-20 15:22:12

I had a absolutely awful bleed at 10 weeks. Was scanned and sent home to prepare for the worst. My daughter is now 5m old Could you get to an epu ASAP to scan for babe? I hope everything is OK xxx

MarshmallowsOnToast Mon 18-May-20 15:24:12

Phone the pregnancy unit today, ideally now!

There's no point wondering. You need to get a definitive answer.

Good luck OP

Changingbackinamo Mon 18-May-20 15:27:48

I'm wondering whether it was a twin pregnancy too.

Is there any way whatsoever that you can present at the EPU today? I would be worried about waiting any longer incase it was ectopic.

You must be so confused, I really feel for you. I hope you get the result you want OP.

Newmama29 Mon 18-May-20 15:29:06

I think you need to contact your EPU ASAP. You could have an ectopic pregnancy, mines also started this way - bleeding, cramping as if I had a period. I still had all pregnancy symptoms as I was still pregnant it just wasn’t in the right place. With the pain at your ribs etc I would be concerned with this. This could be life threatening if not diagnosed & dealt with quickly. Do you live alone? I would strongly advise to speak to EPU sooner rather than later as you could rupture & pass out before you even get the chance to phone an ambulance.

I’m sorry if this seems scary & it may well not be the case but I think you need to be safe rather than sorry.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Mon 18-May-20 15:31:03

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Yes, some pregnancies do have bleeding throughout - a friend of mine wasn't convinced her DC4 was going to make it as she kept having bleeds up until about 20 weeks, but he's now a healthy 18yo!

Also the possibility that it could have been a twin pregnancy and you lost one - but this is not a given.

I hope you manage to get a scan done though, just to check there's nothing underlying the bleeding that needs to be looked at.

justanotherneighinparadise Mon 18-May-20 15:31:50

I agree with a PP about their being a chance of tissue remaining which is still emitting HCG. Was it a strong positive? Any chance of taking a Clearblue conception indicator to see if your HCG is nice and high?

Caterina99 Mon 18-May-20 15:32:20

I really really hope it all works for you OP!

But yes - seek medical attention - I had an ectopic pregnancy that was caught early and I had to go for weekly blood tests to make sure my hcg fully fell to zero. It took about 2 months

SeaToSki Mon 18-May-20 15:32:42

I was thinking ectopic too, please talk to a a doctor OP

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in