Talk

Advanced search

What time of day do you hope your neighbours will be quiet?

(5 Posts)
Bercows Sun 17-May-20 18:02:00

If you have school age dc and they have school age dc? Adjoining walls and noise travels it seems. We are trying to be quieter now that we realise how much noise does travel.

Up to and sometimes beyond midnight they are banging doors, stomping up and down the stairs, and generally banging about.

They are fairly new neighbours and having known the previous neighbour I know they have really thick carpets so it's lovely and cushioned underfoot. There was never any banging before or doors banging, any noise from the stairs.

There's not much noise during the day but by 9pm they all seem to come alive. Dd is getting distressed at not being able to sleep.

The dc there are 5-18 and mine are 5-13. Although there's a toddler and woman who stay sometimes too. It's much noisier then with screaming from the toddler. It's not too often they are there though and I'd never complain about a little one being upset in the night. Thankfully the dc aren't there all the time and it's bliss when they aren't but the banging is driving us mad.

AIBU expecting neighbours to be quieter in the evening after 9pm when there's children? Or have I just been lucky before not to experience noise from an adjoining house?

OP’s posts: |
Bercows Sun 17-May-20 18:04:13

*quieter that should say. I don't expect no noise at all.

OP’s posts: |
TazSyd Sun 17-May-20 18:05:30

I think the council noise guidelines say to be quiet between 11pm and 7am. So expecting silence from 9pm onwards would be deemed unreasonable.

Floatyboat Sun 17-May-20 18:20:43

I never hear our neighbours when inside. But we live a detached house so not sure if that's the same.

Littlebluebird123 Sun 17-May-20 18:31:47

I could have written this!
But council deems 11pm -7am quiet times. It is frustrating but not a lot you can do. If it is after 11pm you could ask them to be more mindful.
My neighbours have been apologetic - before lockdown - but it's loud 2/3 times a week. I genuinely don't think they realise how loud they are. And that we can hear the entire argument/conversation when they're upstairs!
Not a lot you can do. The joys of living in a terrace. :/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »