Talk

Advanced search

How to stop Male cat fighting female cat?

(6 Posts)
canyouseethesea Sun 17-May-20 09:07:36

Posting here for traffic.

We have new neighbours, they are lovely, have a 6 year old female cat.

We have a 3 year old neutered male cat.

It's so embarrassing he won't even let the cat come out of her house before attacking her and I've never seen him like this before. He isn't like it with our other neighbours female cat.

What can I do? He's really getting on my nerves, I feel so bad for their cat and I feel like I'm forever apologising to them. They are so nice about it but it's happening every single day.

When they moved in they noticed we had a spaniel and she asked if he was okay with cats, my spaniel is the soppiest dog and is actually scared of cats apart from our one.

Please help cat lovers! He's our first cat and I've never experienced this before.

OP’s posts: |
Patchworksack Sun 17-May-20 09:16:11

He probably thinks of the new neighbour's garden as his territory, whereas the other neighbour has an adjoining territory belonging to their cat (was that female there before him?) so from his point of view the new cat is an invader. You could try some calming measures for him (Calmex etc) but that drive to protect his patch is quite strong even in a neutered male. So to prevent the fights you may need to either fence your property to keep him in your garden or arrange some sort of timeshare so both cats can use the neighbour's garden at different times. I'd probably also buy the neighbour a super-soaker and give them your permission to fend him off, before you start being presented with the vet bill.

heartsonacake Sun 17-May-20 09:19:44

You need to cat proof your garden.

canyouseethesea Sun 17-May-20 09:27:13

@Patchworksack I gave them permission to spray him with water if he is being a nuisance. The house/garden was empty for 8 months whilst the previous owners son renovated it so I think my cat has just taken their garden as his own.

canyouseethesea Sun 17-May-20 09:28:04

@heartsonacake I don't know how, the whole neighbourhood have low (3ft) fences and he climbs higher than that anyway, he's always on the roof of our garage.

Annabk Sun 17-May-20 09:30:34

You need to prevent him accessing their garden with something like this protectapet.com/cat-fence/ Getting pelted with water is going to raise his stress levels and you could end up with other behavioural issues.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »