Advanced search

Should I go to A&E?

(31 Posts)
Mnthrowaway20202 Sat 16-May-20 21:40:08

Sorry, I know you’re all sick of these threads but posting for quick replies.

Burnt my arm whilst removing something from my oven. The burn is about 3cm and part of the burned skin has turned white - not waxy, moist or blistered though. Have ran cool water over it for about 30 minutes and applied burn gel.

I’m concerned about the white skin. Would you just treat at home? I’m hesitant to go to A&E because it’s minor, the burn is small and I don’t want to waste staff’s time.

OP’s posts: |
AnyOldPrion Sat 16-May-20 21:46:27

From the NHS website:

“You should go to a hospital A&E department for:

all chemical and electrical burns
large or deep burns – any burn bigger than the injured person's hand
burns that cause white or charred skin – any size
burns on the face, hands, arms, feet, legs or genitals that cause blisters”

Superrabbit Sat 16-May-20 21:48:07

Maybe post a pic...just keep an eye on it for any signs of infection...relax it will be okay...A&E will not do anything else and you risk picking up infection there...take care xx

AllsortsofAwkward Sat 16-May-20 21:49:25

Go to a and e op if you got cling film wrap your arm.

managedmis Sat 16-May-20 21:50:20

Photo please

Hellothere19999 Sat 16-May-20 21:50:31

As the partner of a chef and a waitress myself this doesn’t sound a n e worthy lol

AvocadoPrime Sat 16-May-20 21:50:33

I would treat at home. They can't do much more than you have. As pp has said just keep an eye on it.

PurpleDaisies Sat 16-May-20 21:51:13

Follow the nhs guidelines and go to a and e.

It will probably be very quiet.

PurpleDaisies Sat 16-May-20 21:52:20

Any of the posters telling the op to ignore the nhs guidelines have medical qualifications?

DissociatedDinosaur Sat 16-May-20 21:55:09

Yes, please go to A and E. If you have a local burns unit - find that and go there.

Different dressings are needed for white burns and you may also be prescribed preventative antibiotics.

Hope you are seen quickly and sorry to hear about your injury.

Fabuleuse Sat 16-May-20 21:55:21

I had a similar sized burn on my ankle (long story - hot water bottle involved) where the skin had turned white. No corona at the time but felt daft bothering doctors with such a small injury. It healed up OK on its own with taking good care of it. I'd just be really careful with it, and obviously seek medical help if it is not healing or has any sign of infection.

Custardcreamies101 Sat 16-May-20 21:59:09

I think if it’s both waxy and white then a&e. I would advise you using the online nhs 111. It will tell you what to do.

PrivateD00r Sat 16-May-20 22:00:17

You have completely done the right thing in how you have treated it. I was going to say don't bother going but those NHS guidelines are pretty convincing. It looks like you should go.

MammytoElla Sat 16-May-20 22:02:25

Can you post a picture? As white skin is normally seen if the burn is deep (involving multiple layers of skin) where the skin is white, leathery and you have no pain. If it's like that then you'll have to go to A&E.

Northernsoullover Sat 16-May-20 22:03:19

I'd just go to A & E. It says so on the NHS guidelines and it was an accident..

Lovemusic33 Sat 16-May-20 22:03:38

I have had several bad burns and never been to A&E, I did go to the chemist to get the correct dressings (they need to be breathable) but that was when I badly burnt my hand and 3 fingers. It’s pretty normal for the skin to look white and shinny. Personally I wouldn’t go to A&E but if your worried then of course go.

StatisticalSense Sat 16-May-20 22:06:27

In normal times I'd probably say don't bother as in all probability it'll heal on it's own in all probability and it's not worth the wait at A and E. In the current circumstances with much reduced A and E waiting times and a bigger incentive to avoid repetitive hospital trips, which may be required if it becomes infected, it's probably worth going to A and E.

PeppasMuddyPuddles Sat 16-May-20 22:08:06

I probably would have said I wouldnt bother, however the guidelines do seem very clean in that you should go.

PeppasMuddyPuddles Sat 16-May-20 22:08:30

*clear not clean blush

PersephoneandHades Sat 16-May-20 22:08:44

Go to A and E.

And look up the stats for how many people are dying now because they don’t feel like they have enough reason to go to the doctor.

Saturdayrabbit42 Sat 16-May-20 22:11:31

Sorry, read more widely...posted as Superrabbit earlier...(would have just kept an eye on it myself but I was unaware of the NHS advice) but NHS advice is go to A&E so I would follow that advice just to be safe...good luck xx

MyMonkeyIsATwat Sat 16-May-20 22:12:07

I wouldn't i don't think but might feel differently if you post a photo and it's awful.

3cm doesn't sound that big but I might be wrong.

PurpleDaisies Sat 16-May-20 22:14:51

3cm doesn't sound that big but I might be wrong.

Look at the nhs guidelines. Size is irrelevant for white or charred burns.

ladycarlotta Sat 16-May-20 22:26:11

Please go to A&E. I had to go a few weeks ago and it was incredibly quiet, calm and efficient - I was told by several staff that the greater danger was in people choosing not to present at A&E for things that really need treatment, rather than going and contracting CV.

Mnthrowaway20202 Sun 17-May-20 01:06:04

Thanks all. 111 advised A&E so I went. It’s not a full thickness burn, just 2nd degree - the white skin is early blister formation so not as serious. I’m still glad I went, they dressed it etc.

Feel really silly that I managed to burn myself. There’s actually 2 burns in parallel lines, I literally have the grill imprinted on me🤦🏼‍♀️

@DissociatedDinosaur thanks for your kind words!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »