Talk

Advanced search

Spending £400 on a fan.....

(108 Posts)
Youngatheart00 Sat 16-May-20 19:57:32

A Dyson room fan to be precise.

Don’t sleep at all well in the summer and house really holds the heat. Have tried cheap rotor blade fans before but the noise keeps me awake.

Torn between thinking it will really improve quality of life and thinking it’s a ridiculous amount of money to spend.

Any opinions?

HungryForSnacks Sat 16-May-20 20:05:53

Sorry no advice but watching with interest.

We're in the middle of a loft conversion and all anyone tells me is how hot loft rooms get in summer! 🥵

lidoshuffle Sat 16-May-20 20:08:58

I'm thinking exactly the same. I can't stand noisy ones, so don't mind forking out the extra for a silent one.

I'm thinking I might as well pay extra for a heater, just in case of emergency too. But are they just a big (noisy) rip off?

MeerkatMolly Sat 16-May-20 20:09:20

We had some dyson fans at work the year before last, they weren’t great, especially for what they cost and we ended up sending them all back. But that was a couple of years ago and perhaps they are better now!

MinistryOfTragic Sat 16-May-20 20:09:41

I bought a small aircon unit for our upstairs door £450, we live in a two bed terraced house, and it's great. I doubt a fan, even a £400 one, would match an actual aircon unit. Incidentally I had one of those fans when in hospital with an infection and it was a nice fan but nothing out of the ordinary really.

StoneofDestiny Sat 16-May-20 20:10:01

I'd also like to know what is a great fan that is quiet and economical to run.

MinistryOfTragic Sat 16-May-20 20:10:21

*"upstairs for

ThePants999 Sat 16-May-20 20:11:37

You don't have to spend vastly more than that to get proper air conditioning...

RaggieDolls Sat 16-May-20 20:12:29

We have four really decent tower fans (I don't mind the noise and I find the effective). We keep them in the loft and get them down every summer.

Provided you have somewhere to store a fan properly for 10 months of the year I'd go for it. It will make a difference to your quality of life / sleep.

THNG5 Sat 16-May-20 20:15:00

I looked into this last summer. From everything I read, they're not worth the money. We eventually bought an air cooler (you add water and ice packs) which was okish. This year, I'm pregnant and cannot go through a hot summer heavily pregnant and we've got 3 young children so we've splashed out on an air conditioning unit (where you have to put the pipe out of the window). We have only tried it out when we bought it as it hasn't been hot enough yet but it's definitely blowing cold air. Only downside I can see is the noise...

Dreamersandwishers Sat 16-May-20 20:15:10

Put in a ceiling fan from Fantasia in our attic bedroom. Love it, so put a cheaper one from B&q in spare room. Menopausal woman here. It’s changed my life.

PinkSpring Sat 16-May-20 20:15:58

If you are wanting one to cool a room, don't bother.

We have three Dyson fans, ones just a standard desk version, one is a hot & cold and one is the newest pure desk version that requires filters, etc.

Our house is a new build and really holds the heat and they are absolutely useless at cooling down a room and at full 10 speed they are very loud, I cannot sleep with it on the 10 setting, it's a bit like trying to sleep next to a jet engine!!

They are fine as a fan but they realistically just do what a fan does, push air around the room. They look good - that is the only reason we have them - as an actual fan, they aren't worth the cost.

We got a small portable air conditioner last year for about £300 that we use to cool the rooms down with - heavy thing but it really does a good job at getting the temperature down!

I would perhaps get an air con unit and then some normal fans!!

PinkSpring Sat 16-May-20 20:17:18

Oh and the "tower" Dyson fans aren't any better - had those as well!

MitziK Sat 16-May-20 20:19:10

Don't bother. Buy a portable aircon unit instead.

You will thank me on the very first day of any heatwave.

BikeRunSki Sat 16-May-20 20:19:22

We bought a Dyson pure cool fab about a month ago, because DH was really suffering from hayfever working at home. It is marvellous. It’s in our bedroom (which is also his office now!) and he has it on at night. It does not disturb me at all. Very quiet. We bought a refurbed one direct from Dyson (there’s a refurbed section on their website), but you’d never know it wasn’t brand new, same warranties etc. Highly recommended.

SignOnTheWindow Sat 16-May-20 20:21:04

We bought a portable air conditioner and stuck the tube out of the window. A fan didn't make a lot of difference to the heat, but the air con was great. Stuck it in DD's oven-like loft room for an hour or so before bed time and it cooled the room down enough for her to sleep really comfortably.

understandmenow Sat 16-May-20 20:23:42

Tried one, cost a fortune and was rubbish!

ZingyLime Sat 16-May-20 20:31:07

I've spent This afternoon fitting up a new £350 air conditioning unit in my bedroom. It's a loft bedroom so gets boiling hot. I've vented the unit out of the bottom of a velux but I can still close the window when I want.
It's nowhere near hot today but I've tested the unit anyway. Blinking chilly in there!
Roll on summer!

TurquoiseDress Sat 16-May-20 20:34:27

Oooh I think I know the ones, they look so modern & cool smile

forgivemeimnew Sat 16-May-20 20:35:14

I never realised how hot a loft room gets. We couldn’t find a fan that was good enough so ended up with an air con unit, honestly, just go straight for the air con unit nothing compares.

BornOnThe4thJuly Sat 16-May-20 20:35:41

We’ve got an air con unit because the house holds heat terribly. We also have one of these which is great as a fan, but as has already been said doesn’t cool the room, it does make me feel more comfortable though and is very, very quiet.

www.amazon.co.uk/MeacoFan-Circulator-bedroom-cooling-efficient/dp/B07DTHYKPP?tag=mumsnetforu03-21

looselegs Sat 16-May-20 20:36:42

I've got the Dyson hot and cool fan. It's good but a bit noisy when it's on high.

CottonSock Sat 16-May-20 20:39:42

Can anyone recommend an air con unit?

Avelosa Sat 16-May-20 20:47:04

We have one of these industrial fans in our room, have it on the lowest setting and the breeze is amazing. It’s quiet enough to sleep with it on too and much cheaper than a dyson!

www.screwfix.com/p/hf-45b-18-industrial-floor-fan-220-240v/754HY?tc=YT4&ds_kid=92700048793290397&ds_rl=1249404&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnv71BRCOARIsAIkxW9E-PLq6Ph4llrLSVQdNqaKFDsySjZcUKmZ9ndKCyw4Y2wAcPqyANoUaAtRWEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

WillSomebodyThinkOfTheChildren Sat 16-May-20 21:02:36

Where did you all buy your aircon units please ?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »