Talk

Advanced search

To not sign an assured shorthold tenancy agreement now that doesn't start until October?

(4 Posts)
hen10 Sat 16-May-20 11:06:29

My DS has been offered a room in a uni hall of residence managed by an external company. We've paid a deposit. The company has sent an assured shorthold tenancy agreement three times to me since Tuesday asking me to Docusign. I can't find out what would happen if she didn't get the grades ( it is a conditional firm offer) or something happened before October which meant she couldn't attend Uni. I get that I would be liable for the rent if she dropped out. Looking online, agents supporting landlords seem to advise them not to sign until the day of the tenancy so that they can withdraw at the last minute. As a potential tenant, can I do the same and wait, given that I have paid the deposit and it's been accepted? I fully intend her to go but October is a while away and I don't want to be liable for £7k for a room she never sets foot in. An anyone advise please? Thanks for getting through this.🙂

OP’s posts: |
hen10 Sat 16-May-20 11:07:44

DD, sorry, not DS

Enterthewolves Sat 16-May-20 11:08:58

If you sign it you will be liable for the rent l

hen10 Sat 16-May-20 11:36:34

That's my worry Enterthewolves but surely there are loads of students with conditional offers right now? Do they sign and hope for the best? The agency is ignoring my emails and just keeps sending the agreement!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in