Talk

Advanced search

To think school should offer more?

(201 Posts)
supermanisdead Sat 16-May-20 07:22:07

My DD is yr8 at a large comp. she is set roughly 2-3 hours of work a day online which she does.

For the first 5 weeks there was zero feedback given until I messaged the head who said they were implementing it that day. Since then feedback has been very sporadic.

There have been no Zoom or google classroom lessons. I'm concerned about the lack of face to face teaching and formative feedback. She's had one phone call from her tutor.

I'm interested to know what other schools are providing to see if it's comparable.

A bit of background - I'm an FE lecturer and have to call my learners once a week and provide Almost all lessons in a Zoom format. I can't understand why secondary schools aren't offering the same?!

OP’s posts: |
Teacher12345 Sat 16-May-20 07:27:30

I think all schools and institutions are working completely differently depending on their resources.
DS is in yr2 and work is set online, no one is checking if it has been done. It is completley up to us. I work in FE and all work is available on the platform we use and I am constantly emailing the students, marking their work and giving feedback. No zoom or google classrooms though.

WoWsers16 Sat 16-May-20 07:28:21

Schools shouldn't have to offer zoom/online live lessons- there's a lot of safe guarding issues - as well as many families don't have access to computers / internet etc..
I think 3 hours a day of work is plenty - that is what my son gets - any extra you want your child can do can be an extension on those lessons if needed (extra research, more writing etc...)
Feedback maybe a bit more random - that may be because staff are still going into school looking after vulnerable and keyworker children - and with the priority on years 10 and 12 coming up they may be doing more with them.
It's ok people saying teachers should be doing more - ahh aren't they doing that etc.. but they probably want to do more but can't! FE is different to secondary .

BilboBercow Sat 16-May-20 07:28:27

These threads are constant now

WoWsers16 Sat 16-May-20 07:29:16

They really are constant sad

Crossandcrochety Sat 16-May-20 07:31:34

My son’s school are working in a similar way to yours, OP. When lockdown was announced, they sent a questionnaire to families and they decided they couldn’t offer video lessons as it would disadvantage the not insignificant number who would not be able to access them. The school are trying to be fair to everyone, and there would be a sizeable number who could not access the learning if it was delivered in this way.

Pipandmum Sat 16-May-20 07:31:51

My Y10 is in private school that teaches from nursery to sixth form. All secondary kids have a full day online classrooms and clubs afterwards. (I can't speak for junior school but imagine the older ones are too). But it's private and I know some state schools here are not doing that much.

justanotherneighinparadise Sat 16-May-20 07:51:14

They’re constant because the novelty has worn off and parents are desperate.

pussycatinboots Sat 16-May-20 07:52:52

just well maybe the parents could show a little initiative and attempt to home educate their child instead of spending hours on MN bashing teachers.
daffodil

FluffyEarMuffs Sat 16-May-20 07:54:09

Yes. My children all have a full timetable with many live lessons, but also some pre recorded lessons.

I am confident and happy they are safeguarded, secure and getting a good education.

One of the biggest implications of this widening gulf between what state schools are generally offering (and what unions want their teachers to do) and what independent schools/FE colleges like yours are offering. My eldest child in particular hasn't missed a beat. She's completely on track, on target for university applications, preparing heavily for pre Uni exams in the summer/autumn - whenever they can take place - and if anything has jumped ahead academically during this time at home.

This has just widened the gap.

SachaStark Sat 16-May-20 07:55:06

How much money are we betting that the OP never posts on this thread again?

user8558 Sat 16-May-20 07:55:37

With the wealth of free resources out there, I can't understand why parents don't just supplement the curriculum themselves if they feel there's not enough.

minisoksmakehardwork Sat 16-May-20 07:56:58

It’s all well and good suggesting zoom lessons etc. But how do you propose everyone access this? As an example, I have 4 children, 1 laptop and 1 iPad 2 which won’t run many of their teaching apps/websites.

School won’t have enough to loan everyone one.

I’m happy with what and how Our schools are working on the whole.
🌻

AllsortsofAwkward Sat 16-May-20 07:57:40

Ds has been working on teams for each lesson which has helped, however the laptop charger broke so had to have paper work sent we had to wait and I had to use google for work for each lesson..I since ordered a new charger. Teaches are trying their best, we got to work with them than against them, they are still planning lessons, still got keyworker school in school and delivering paper work for those who dont have access to computers or tablets.

FirmlyRooted Sat 16-May-20 08:01:09

I agree 100%. It's incredibly frustrating that schools can't get their act together and provide online lessons. There really is no good reason not to do it.

CarlottaValdez Sat 16-May-20 08:02:09

It does seem to vary hugely. We’re primary and get links to some twinkle worksheets and to the BBC phonics stuff. So our school, which I love and are brilliant under normal circumstances, aren’t doing anything at all really for home learning. It doesn’t really matter to me as I know DS (reception) has all the time in the world to catch up but if this is going to be for another few months I’d like to see something. A bit of feedback on work maybe or they could send out reading books.

I assume I’ll now get shouted at for teacher bashing.

SachaStark Sat 16-May-20 08:04:20

There are SO many good reasons not to provide live online lessons.

They’ve been noted on MN hundreds of times.

Or, you know, you could think what they are for yourselves.

SpoonyFace Sat 16-May-20 08:09:17

You don't understand the difference between using zoom with adult learners and using zoom with a a gaggle of 11-18 year olds?

justanotherneighinparadise Sat 16-May-20 08:10:01

@user8558 errrrrm because many parents are working. You know the thing they used to be able to do to afford to buy food and heat and a roof? Now of course they’re supposed to work and do a full time teaching job alongside.

supermanisdead Sat 16-May-20 08:10:19

@SachaStark

Why would I never post again?

supermanisdead Sat 16-May-20 08:11:19

@SpoonyFace

I work with 16/17 year olds. FE is mainly 16-18. So I do think I have an understanding.

SachaStark Sat 16-May-20 08:11:46

@supermanisdead, because that’s been the pattern over the last 12 hours. OP posts an inflammatory OP about teachers, then fucks off.

supermanisdead Sat 16-May-20 08:14:23

@SachaStark

This isn't inflammatory about teachers. It's about the schools offer during the lockdown.

I don't understand why they can't offer even one or two zoom
Lessons a week. I understand that some will be disadvantaged by this but there is disadvantage everywhere in the schooling system. Why should everyone miss out?

piefacedClique Sat 16-May-20 08:16:39

ODFOD

Ladyglitterfairydust Sat 16-May-20 08:16:42

Well done OP you’ve made the decision for me - I’m leaving Mumsnet having been here since the fatball days. I’m working my bloody arse off while looking after 2 young children, but I just can’t take anymore of the teacher bashing. Every other thread is teacher bashing now and the admins are doing nothing to stop it. It’s impacting on my mental health now. So bye

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »