Talk

Advanced search

What can you hear now there's less noise pollution?

(18 Posts)
Bercows Fri 15-May-20 23:44:02

I was posting a thread on the Coronavirus topic as I was feeling down when I heard an owl. I've never heard one here before and it's really cheered me up. It called for a few minutes.

Mid-morning a few days ago I heard a passing train. I only ever hear them on rare occasions on a still night as we are quite far from the through line.

The birds are very vocal and there's so many of them. The different songs are audible too.

The sirens seem louder and more plentiful since lockdown which makes me very aware of the situation.

I was feeling so stressed today but the owl has brought feelings of calm.

What can you hear that you don't normally?

OP’s posts: |
Griefmonster Fri 15-May-20 23:48:42

Birds. I live very near a city centre. I love hearing the birds.

BackforGood Fri 15-May-20 23:49:17

I like hearing more birdsong

Oddly though, I find I'm woken more by noise (say - the binmen coming early in the morning, or someone talking, walking past late at night) now because it is generally quieter, so those noises I presume stand out more. I live in a busy traffic area so generally don't notice traffic.

VaggieMight Sat 16-May-20 00:02:09

So much bird song now. And aeroplanes are so rare their sound is very noticeable. I'm seeing lots more butterflies in the garden too.

FOJN Sat 16-May-20 00:04:27

Birdsong here too. There are often lots of seagulls screeching but now so many more besides.

Bercows Sat 16-May-20 00:05:46

Yes the planes. We live close to Manchester airport flight path and the sky is so quiet now with just the odd plane than makes me look confused at the sky because it's so rare now.

The bin men have always been noisy buggers! Wheelie bins are not designed to be emptied quietly. It's like that Parklife song by Blur.

Bercows Mon 25-May-20 00:01:15

I can hear an owl again smile I wonder if it's the same one. There's more cars about now even at almost midnight but it's lovely to be able to hear nature sounds. Kind of comforting somehow. I can pretend I'm on holiday in the country. I heard a plane today too which is very rare these days. Less sirens the last few days which is always a good thing. The birds were singing away around 8pm this evening, Oreo the hamster is on the road to nowhere in his wheel after taking a leap of faith off his platform, ds is snuffling next to me, and some idiot has just gone past on a two wheeled hair dryer. There's a slight whiff of onion bhajis drifting over from the take away on the main road and all seems right with the world. You can almost forget we are in the grip of a viral pandemic and we haven't left our property in 10 weeks.

SomeHalfHumanCreatureThing Mon 25-May-20 00:03:29

Fucking everything (autistic)

Seriously though. Most of the time it's been so lovely and quiet. Noise is a massive issue for me so I'm very happy at the moment.
It does mean I'm noticing Every. Little. Thing. though.

SomeHalfHumanCreatureThing Mon 25-May-20 00:05:18

"The birds were singing away around 8pm this evening, Oreo the hamster is on the road to nowhere in his wheel after taking a leap of faith off his platform, ds is snuffling next to me, and some idiot has just gone past on a two wheeled hair dryer. There's a slight whiff of onion bhajis drifting over from the take away on the main road and all seems right with the world"

I love this

Notcontent Mon 25-May-20 00:07:18

I have been really enjoying the quiet. Fewer cars, fewer people being noisy into the late night, birds singing - it’s lovely.

Kim82 Mon 25-May-20 00:09:11

Right now I can hear Dh snoring which is why I’m still awake 😤 but, that aside, in the mornings I am woken up by birds singing as I sleep with my window open. I can also hear the trains going by on the train line not far from my house, I can’t usually hear them with the day to day hustle and bustle of an estate but as it’s so quiet I hear it quite often now. I like it. It’s like a distant clickety clack noise and quite comforting.

Bercows Mon 25-May-20 00:11:25

No pissed people loudly coming back from the pub singing, shouting, and sweating is a huge bonus. Also autistic and get very stressed with noise (misophonia).

Spermysextowel Mon 25-May-20 00:28:55

Apart from fewer planes I find it’s worse. I’ve been working from home since Jan/Feb, and have found it more noisy. The neighbours on both sides are working fewer hours, so are doing projects. Constant pounding on one side as he hammers his existing patio into ballast for the new one (slabs arrived yesterday so next the angle-grinder will be out). Other side is making an Ark I think as the sawing is constant.
Add to that some very loud home-schooling & it’s not as quiet as it was.
On the plus side Friday & Saturday nights are less raucous.

UnderperformingSeal Mon 25-May-20 00:56:34

Everything. I'm scared to even fart outdoors now because everyone within three streets will know.

Bunnybigears Mon 25-May-20 01:03:52

No seagulls! They have stopped nesting on our roof top to make use of the handy McDonalds and take away shops and have actually gone back to the seaside!

Picklypickles Mon 25-May-20 01:08:34

Well its always been quiet where I live but the owls have been very noisy recently, I'd love to know what they're shouting at each other from across the treetops!

lymphopenia Mon 25-May-20 01:18:51

We've heard owls regularly here the last few weeks. Been in the same house 20 years and never heard them before so we were totally enthralled!

lifestooshort123 Mon 25-May-20 07:31:18

I'm more aware of my tinnitus now most of the background noises have gone 😢

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »