Talk

Advanced search

Are there any Clarks kids shoe fitters on here for quick advice?

(26 Posts)
helpamamaout Fri 15-May-20 18:35:32

Which do I get for 15 month old who can walk 20 steps.....cruising or first walking shoes?

OP’s posts: |
helpamamaout Fri 15-May-20 18:39:54

Previously I was always told to get shoes when the child can walk 20 steps

janesmith99 Fri 15-May-20 18:40:36

I took DD to Clarks to get her first shoes when she started walking at 15 months, I just checked the website and the ones they recommended are listed under the cruising section. Think they are classed as pre-walkers but they're fine for walking outside etc.

Amicompletelyinsane Fri 15-May-20 18:41:28

I'd get the walking ones. It might take a day or two to get used to it but they are far more supportive. It's a few years since I worked there though. Id try the walking. They normally get on with them fine

janesmith99 Fri 15-May-20 18:41:36

It was these ones, she still wears them occasionally now at 18 months.

https://www.clarks.co.uk/c/Roamer-Star-Toddler/p/26143467

AKAanothername Fri 15-May-20 18:46:20

I was a trained fitter 35 years ago so my advice might be completely out of date. Children's feet have really soft bones, anything that constricts can make damage the feet, including too tight socks. Barefoot is best for as long as possible, I would avoid fitted shoes until you can have them properly measured and fitted.

Luluapple Fri 15-May-20 18:52:42

Cruisers. It's bollocks that toddlers need hard soles shoes. Their bones are still really flexible. Cruisers move with the feet much better and don't force the foot into an unnatural movement.

CottonSock Fri 15-May-20 18:55:01

Ignore the advice above.. they don't need support, they need to find balance on their own feet. Shoes if essential, like if walking on gravel outdoors. Otherwise socks.

Jeezoh Fri 15-May-20 18:55:12

Cruisers for as long as possible

Shouldbedoing Fri 15-May-20 18:56:28

How will you know her size, OP?

crustycrab Fri 15-May-20 18:58:24

There are measuring guides online.

Get the cruisers

FizzyGreenWater Fri 15-May-20 19:00:03

Cruisers, and don't put too much faith in the 'expertise' of Clarks fitters either!

helpamamaout Fri 15-May-20 19:07:53

Thank you

Got a measuring gauge from someone finished with theirs. Sold out on clarks website and everyone who sells clarks shoes

helpamamaout Fri 15-May-20 19:09:01

Currently have bobux softsole which is good for free movement of foot but no good outside on rainy days

schafernaker Fri 15-May-20 19:10:41

Definitely cruisers. Our almost 2 year old still has cruisers as she has small feet 🙈😂 as others have said they’re less restrictive and just protect the feet

gothicsprout Fri 15-May-20 19:13:10

We always used to advise waiting until they’ve been walking confidently for around 6 weeks. Then go for the most flexible soled option, so the Cruiser category usually.

Anything too heavy, or if they’re not confident enough walking yet, and you’ll get the concrete boots effect, where the child looks at you with utter betrayal as they stand motionless, fixed to the floor...

crustycrab Fri 15-May-20 19:37:17

Quite @FizzyGreenWater I was sceptical about their measurement of one of mine. 3 times over two weeks he measured differently all in Clark's stores. Once his feet even shrunk!

Shoe zone have a measuring guide on their site. You just need a tape measure.

myself2020 Fri 15-May-20 19:44:10

Ignore clarks fitters. the size your child is will be miraculously what is in store. so even if the gauge shows a 6 d, but only a 5f is in store, your child will apparently need the 5f. even if the shoe is clearly shorter than the foot.

isitamapletree Fri 15-May-20 19:48:57

Bobux are also excellent for their proper shoes, maybe try those instead of Clark's? They're much more flexible and have a wider toe box, my older dd is now 7 and still wears them and finds them so comfortable and less restrictive than other heavier and more 'supportive' shoes.

SachaStark Fri 15-May-20 20:00:16

I was a trained fitter about eight years ago.

The advice we gave at the time was that when you are inside at home, the very best thing for a baby finding their own feet is barefoot/socks only. This is because the bones are still very soft and malleable, and also because they are learning to balance, and need to do so without restriction.

If your baby is now able to walk without cruising, and you are planning for him/her to be walking OUTSIDE on hard ground, then go straight into walkers, ignore the cruisers.

Also, remember that when you put the shoes on to check the feet, try to do so with your baby standing, and not leaning on anything! It winds me up no end to see parents check their kids shoes with them either sitting or leaning. What are you expecting that to achieve?!

helpamamaout Fri 15-May-20 20:34:18

itsamapletree

Bobux step up (rather than xplorer)?

herecomesgeralt Fri 15-May-20 20:56:35

I worked there for a few years until about 5 years ago. Get the cruisers. They don't need more than that at that age, cruisers are much much softer.

herecomesgeralt Fri 15-May-20 20:58:46

@myself2020 I can assure you I never EVER took such an approach!!

tempnamechange98765 Fri 15-May-20 21:01:26

My DS 14 months started walking a few weeks ago, he's in cruisers and walks outside a lot! Regularly over 500yds at a time, the shoes are great for it. When he's in the next size I'll get first walking.

Mmmmycorona Fri 15-May-20 21:06:07

Ignore clarks fitters. the size your child is will be miraculously what is in store. so even if the gauge shows a 6 d, but only a 5f is in store, your child will apparently need the 5f. even if the shoe is clearly shorter than the foot.

I didn’t have this experience, they didn’t have the correct size for my dd so they were ordered for me to be delivered at home.

It’s still recommended to allow little ones to have 6 weeks walking before shoes. As is, only wearing shoes when outside and being barefoot as much as possible.
Dd had pre walkers (which look to be called cruisers now, her first shoes were bought October last year) to start with, her feet barely grew and lasted 6 months. Got my monies worth.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »