Advanced search

Need nhs help, nowhere to go

(14 Posts)
Cantbelievethiss Fri 15-May-20 14:45:33

Sitting here in floods of tears

I’ve never needed to go in hospital before apart from to have dc

I’m currently on waiting lists to have two different operations (body parts causing daily agony that need to come out)

Been trying to get through to hospital for weeks. Just been told I’ve no chance of either op this year. Gp said last year they needed to come out ASAP.

I won’t be covered by any health insurance as they’d classed as pre existing. To pay privately would cost tens of thousand I don’t have.

I can’t cope with this pain every day for the foreseeable future. I’m devastated and I know I’m not alone. What can I do?

OP’s posts: |
BakedCam Fri 15-May-20 14:47:26

OP, do you need urgent medical care now?

helpfulperson Fri 15-May-20 14:59:23

Contact your GP. Even if the operation can't go ahead right now they will be able to help with pain management.

If you need urgent medical care just go to A&E - they are still operating.

opticaldelusion Fri 15-May-20 15:01:46

Who told you and what were their reasons? Your best bet is to go back to your GP and ask for this to be reconsidered. They can give clinical support showing how badly affected you are.

bloodyhellsbellsx Fri 15-May-20 15:04:03

Contact your GP or consultant secretary to find out what services are available, hospitals are beginning to restart routine work again now. Failing that, ask for a pain team review to manage your conditions until surgery is available.

2bazookas Fri 15-May-20 15:42:16

We have sometimes jumped the NHS waiting list list by making it known (to the surgeon and his secretary) that we would accept any last-minute cancellation slot at absolutely minimal notice. (Saving the NHS wasted theatre time) .

TheOwlandThe Fri 15-May-20 15:46:01

Was this the department you are under? Who did you contact? What was happening when you were trying to contacr them before

You at least need someone to manage the pain you are in. Either your GP or the department should be assisting with this

TheOwlandThe Fri 15-May-20 15:47:12

And yes if they are causing absolute avony and you need urgent care A&E is still open

KKSlider Fri 15-May-20 16:07:40

If you're in pain now and need medical attention now then you need to go to a walk-in or A&E, depending on which one is appropriate to your situation.

They are still doing emergency surgeries. SIL has been waiting for her gallbladder out and it was cancelled due to CV19, they literally called the morning of her surgery to say it was cancelled, she had a few trips to A&E with gallbladder attacks and on her third trip the week before last they kept her overnight and removed it the following morning.

LIZS Fri 15-May-20 16:12:37

Can you call gp and ask for urgent re-referral? Some nhs services are being diverted to private hospitals. Have you asked consultant to review? Maybe try again in a few weeks.

Lemonblast Fri 15-May-20 16:25:50

I find it strange that you’ve been told that your surgeries definitely won’t happen this year.
Speak to your GP regarding your pain management.

Biscuitbiscuits Fri 15-May-20 16:38:11

Gallbladder? I had mine out a couple of months ago.

Keep persisting with them OP. It's agony.

MissSmiley Fri 15-May-20 17:30:27

Which body parts?

Sodamncold Fri 15-May-20 17:44:16

Difficult to comment to know what conditions you’re referring to

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »