Talk

Advanced search

Suranne Jones' terrible accents

(18 Posts)
MrDarcysMa Fri 15-May-20 10:01:50

AIBU to not understand the hype around her ?

Just watched 'Save me' and 'Save me Too' and her terrible fucking accent ruined an otherwise excellent and gripping drama. I literally cringed every time she was on screen and struggled to stick with it. Awful mockney-slipping-back-into northern every other word. Why oh why did none of the crew pick up on this?

I remember the same thing happening with Dr Foster. Makes me so mad that these stars get paid so much and lauded when they cannot even master the basics like an accent.

OP’s posts: |
MrDarcysMa Fri 15-May-20 10:09:29

anyone?

Horsemad Fri 15-May-20 10:26:53

I haven't seen the programme but that's because I don't watch anything with SJ in it, as I don't rate her as an actress.

TeeniefaeTroon Fri 15-May-20 10:31:54

I've watched both seasons and didn't even notice her accent 🤷🏻‍♀️

LaurieMarlow Fri 15-May-20 10:36:12

What was wrong with her accent in Dr Foster? I thought she was great in that.

Haven’t seen what you’re talking about.

Acting is a multifaceted job. You can be excellent at some aspects and not so hot on others. 🤷‍♀️

Spillinteas Fri 15-May-20 10:45:16

Yes!! I think she has had elocution lessons as she was being interview a while back and I was like ‘what wait that’s not Karen’! grin

Have a look at her old stars in your eyes clip to how she spoke then to now.

Robson Greene is exactly the same!

ExclamationPerfume Fri 15-May-20 10:46:57

She is a fantastic actress. Loved her in Dr Foster, Scott and Bailey and Gentleman Jack.

MrDarcysMa Fri 15-May-20 10:47:25

Laurie Yes I thought dr Foster was well acted but kept slipping back into her 'Karen from Corrie' accent. But Save me is another level - terribly bad cockney accent which only lasts a few words at a time.

MrDarcysMa Fri 15-May-20 10:48:38

spillinteas it's not so much her northern accent being neutralised - that has happened to me after 20 years of living in the south east! it's her terrible character accents in shows she plays.

anxietrist Fri 15-May-20 10:51:23

Is it as bad as the brummie accents in peaky blinders?! 😬

Alsohuman Fri 15-May-20 10:52:09

She was amazing in Gentleman Jack, she can do no wrong for me after that.

MrDarcysMa Fri 15-May-20 10:54:59

Never watched Gentleman Jack but I just watched some clips and it's much better.
Seems mainly her attempt at cockney which is diabolical

therobin Fri 15-May-20 10:57:18

Acting is a multifaceted job. You can be excellent at some aspects and not so hot on others

Getting accents right is a basic skill though.

Spillinteas Fri 15-May-20 10:58:07

There was one where she had a really posh accent and I just couldn’t see past that. I loved her in the police series she did I really enjoyed that.

MrDarcysMa Fri 15-May-20 11:14:20

I just can't believe whilst filming 'save me' that nobody thought, 'oh shit, she's going to need some accent coaching here' ....

Waspie Fri 15-May-20 11:17:47

I love Suranne Jones. I watch her for her eyebrows as they appear to be totally sentient beings in their own right which just live, parasitically, on her forehead. Amazing. If there was an Oscar for "Eyebrows in a supporting role" she would win easily.

Scott & Bailey was great, but then she didn't need an accent for that.

Sodamncold Fri 15-May-20 11:20:48

Talk about a niche AIBU!

ThisAintNoPartyThisAintNoDisco Fri 15-May-20 11:22:59

I think she’s a very good actress. I enjoyed Save Me /Too. Her accent was a little bit off here and there but not enough to spoil her performance.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »