Talk

Advanced search

Key workers... NHS workers...

(67 Posts)
Strawberrypancakes Thu 14-May-20 21:06:03

You’re obviously amazing.

But do you like the clapping?

The first week felt really genuine.. and then less and less so each week. Especially as people clout rules, put you in danger and the government makes more decisions.

We live in a culdisac where a resident plays the bagpipes, people bang pans etc, but it’s far less people who stay out less and less every week and people are starting to be singled out by their absence.

Do the key workers and NHS staff really want this? Because, it’s feeling so forced now.

(Really not wanting to take away from the amazing job they’re all doing, just wondering.)

OP’s posts: |
BirdieFriendReturns Thu 14-May-20 21:06:45

I’ve never clapped and never will.

Theyweretheworstoftimes Thu 14-May-20 21:07:53

I hate it. Wakes my toddler up every week so we have to spend more time settling her and it's just become "stressful Thursday"

Nicknacky Thu 14-May-20 21:09:01

I cringe. I’ve never done it and it is so so fact. Particularly despise the police cars at our two local hospitals.

bellill Thu 14-May-20 21:14:52

I don’t do it, agree first week was lovely but now it’s just too much. My dogs get scared by the loud pots and pans, fireworks etc so I just dread it have to turn my music up loud to drown it out. My husband, dad and MIL are all key workers, I appreciate them and all the others but wondering how long the clap will continue.
My neighbour makes a big song and dance over it each week, and I’ve heard her on the phone in the garden saying no one else bothers 🙄 but she is the one I see having people coming to her house! Hypocrite!

Stompythedinosaur Thu 14-May-20 21:16:57

I think it's pointless.

People's time would be more effectively spent writing to their MP to request improvements to pay and conditions for staff.

apples24 Thu 14-May-20 21:25:03

I don't do it, never have done. My DH who's an NHS medic finds it cringeworthy and annoying.

Rosehip10 Thu 14-May-20 21:28:15

When will it be "stopped" though?

HeyDuggeewhatchadoin Thu 14-May-20 21:30:18

It wakes my children and I have to settle them when I'm supposed to be in bed, as I have to get up at 4am.
So I hate the clapping and work for the NHS.

Hotcuppatea Thu 14-May-20 21:30:41

I've never clapped. The nurses and doctors that I know hate the 'NHS heroes' shizzle. They don't want to be heroes. They want to be human and be allowed to be pissed off and fed up and knackered.

lou967 Thu 14-May-20 21:33:42

The NHS do a good job. They need more funding and better pay from the government. Not people clapping from their doorstep.

Sewrainbow Thu 14-May-20 21:41:25

First week, lovely gesture...

Now all the clapping makes no difference, we've started to reinstate services and guess what people are getting stroppy because they can't have what they want, when they want it.

First week trial and I've had folks get arsy because the service isn't how it was before, due to social distancing we have less people coming in at a time, some procedures arent going ahead or only on set days etc

As expected all angels and heroes are forgotten. This is one of the reasons you shouldn't put us all on a pedestal, much further to fall...

We are humans doing a job, sometimes we get it right sometimes we don't, most of us care greatly and don't deserve to be spoken to like shite because people's patience has run out sad

Foxes157 Thu 14-May-20 21:48:29

Done it one week, my neighbours didn't. We are a family that haven't stopped working in care and retail it's very narcessitic to stand on my own and clap to myself.

tiredwardsister Thu 14-May-20 21:48:48

I work for the NHS clue is in my user name. I hate it, I'm embarrassed that my neighbours have given me gifts etc, I'm just doing a job. If we ever have an end to this all I ask is that we take time to remember the NHS workers who've tragically died.

DJattheendoftheworld Thu 14-May-20 21:50:24

No, it's bloody annoying because it wakes the kids up. Not just clapping here, car horns too angry

Lovebeingmama Thu 14-May-20 21:57:14

I’m NHS and don’t like the clapping, especially by politicians who haven’t done the NHS any favours in the past.
It all seems a bit forced to be honest.
My village has put on a little thank you nhs display though. I was driving home after a rough day and saw it. I was emotional anyway, saw that and it really touched me.

SpeedofaSloth Thu 14-May-20 21:58:15

No, I'm not keen (NHS).

Toddlerteaplease Thu 14-May-20 22:00:48

I've never clapped. We've never been quieter, we've had very little to do recently.

Darkstar4855 Thu 14-May-20 22:20:38

It was a nice gesture the first week but now it’s just people banging saucepans outside my house and letting off fireworks when I’m trying to get my toddler to bed. I think it’s lost all meaning and they should have just done it the once.

Jane10000000 Thu 14-May-20 22:21:55

Nope

Popc0rn Thu 14-May-20 22:31:52

No, never been a fan of the clapping, but now I can't stand it. We had another minutes silence at work today for another colleague who has died from covid. The clapping almost seemed obscene to me tonight.

Sheepareawesome Thu 14-May-20 22:34:50

Nope it is ridiculous. Initially I thought what a nice thought but now it seems to be a competition between the neighbours to see who is last to stop. Given they both voted for the politicians who have been stripping the NHS of funding over the last few years it seems rather ironic.

Chocolatecake12 Thu 14-May-20 22:41:29

It was lovely the first week. And it seemed like a good idea but there are so many people who dislike it I’m surprised it’s carried on.
For me, I live in a cul-de-sac and most of the residents are elderly. It’s nice to see them once a week and see they’re still ok! My neighbour next door has said it’s the highlight of her week!!

Aragog Thu 14-May-20 22:41:44

I live on an estate with a lot of medics here. Most of those around of us are out clapping when others do it, so o assume they must quite like it.

9While9AndImWaiting Thu 14-May-20 22:43:03

My other half is a keyworker and finds it ridiculous, he doesn't like to think of himself as a keyworker either as he doesn't feel important.

It just disrupts our youngest, and my partner has to get up really stupidly early in the morning so it's become a massive pain in the arse.

Our youngest is now the only one who participates, and she does it from her bedroom window.

I'd rather campaign for better pay and working conditions for cleaners, drivers, nursing staff, teachers and posties etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »