Talk

Advanced search

To think you can spend too much time with your family

(15 Posts)
littleblackdress04 Thu 14-May-20 18:31:47

I love my kids more than life itself and obviously I am glad we are safe & healthy at the moment.

But I am exhausted by 2 months of homeschooling, working full time at home, zoom meeting, being a mum, cooking, cleaning, dealing with the emotional rollercoaster of a 12 year old starting puberty & an 8 year old DD that just wants to be with me every second of every day bless her! I locked myself in the loo earlier just to get 10 mins alone!

Aibu?

OP’s posts: |
T0tallyFuckedUpFamily Thu 14-May-20 18:36:40

I’m lucky as my youngest is so easy, even though she has SN. I asked my boys to move home at the start of lockdown, but the oldest pointed out that we would end up killing each other before the Coronavirus. grin He has a point.

RandomMess Thu 14-May-20 18:40:25

The three still at home are all teens, so far it has been ok, I am very grateful that we'll have our own bedrooms including me and DH!

I very much enjoying walking the dog on my own...

RedLipsAndRosyCheeks Thu 14-May-20 18:41:34

You definitely can spend too much time with family OP and like you, I feel like I have!

I want to go on a silent retreat when this is all over so nobody asks me for anymore fucking drinks or snacks!

littleblackdress04 Thu 14-May-20 18:43:08

@RedLipsAndRosyCheeks god yes, I have been dreaming of a silent retreat where I don’t have to speak to a single person for a week!!

OP’s posts: |
BrandyandBabycham Thu 14-May-20 18:43:41

You are definitely not being unreasonable OP! In some ways I have enjoyed lockdown but oh my goodness I miss time to myself! DD11 has attachment disorder & additional needs so it has been extremely challenging at times. I can absolutely empathise with you locking yourself in the loo! It looks like things are easing a little so hopefully you will keep your sanity 💐

Angeldust747 Thu 14-May-20 18:44:42

Alone time is so important!

Redcrayons Thu 14-May-20 18:46:55

I love my DCs, but they are not great lockdown companions (teens). I miss other people so much. I’ve stopped doing the self scan thing in Tesco so I can chat to the operator for a few minutes.

Kenworthington Thu 14-May-20 18:55:20

Ha @Redcrayons me too, highlight of my week <tragic>

FrenchyQ Thu 14-May-20 19:00:08

Definitely...my DS13 isnt so bad, hes quite self sufficient but DD21 seems to need to be with me all the time....the only peace I get is if I pretend to have a nap or spend longer than necessary in the bathroom...it is exhausting!

maddiemookins16mum Thu 14-May-20 19:06:00

I have DP at home working, my (albeit wonderful and fabulous) MIL staying, a moody 16 year old and a poorly cat. I actually get up 30 mins early each morning to sit in the garden with a coffee for some peace. I’ve also taken to having an evening bath at 8pm ish each night for ‘me time’ (not that kind of me time btw).

MeAndKev Thu 14-May-20 19:38:58

grin

RabbitsGoneRogue Thu 14-May-20 19:42:22

Maddiemookins- “not that kind of me time” are you mad that’s the only thing that’s getting me through!! grin

SummerHouse Thu 14-May-20 19:45:36

If the last two months have taught me nothing else, it's that yes, you can spend too much time with your family.

I shop once a week. I get bizarrely excited about it. Hand sanitizer, wiping down trolley, walking around acting like a repellant magnet. It's the new spa day.

RandomMess Thu 14-May-20 20:37:03

Actually I've had enough of the demands for affection from the cats and dog. There are 5 people here yet I end up with at least 2 of them having to sit on me all evening. I feel all touched out again like I did when the DC were little shockblush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »