Talk

Advanced search

To think New Zealand has thrown out human rights?

(184 Posts)
LilacTree1 Wed 13-May-20 21:54:33

Nodding through these powers

www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12331547&fbclid=IwAR1ZDq19eKTqCU8qp3fSl_rLikEHlk2fSc9NdHXnXAW1NbOMBayws6rqMO4

OP’s posts: |
FourPlasticRings Wed 13-May-20 22:03:59

YANBU

LilacTree1 Wed 13-May-20 22:10:12

I’m trying to find out if it has a sunset clause or anything

I was very surprised by their lockdown conditions. These sorts of laws never get pulled back.

PeachMoon Wed 13-May-20 22:21:22

@LilacTree1 It says in the article you posted that there is a sunset clause and the legislation will be refreshed every 90 days (after reducing it from original 2 years).

heartyrebel Wed 13-May-20 22:25:50

NZ currently has zero new cases and single digits for the last few weeks of coronavirus after lockdown. Today we are out of lockdown after 7 weeks. Most people here are very happy with the way it's been handled.

LilacTree1 Wed 13-May-20 22:29:51

Peach sorry

I must admit I looked at the legislation but didn’t think anyone would bother, so posted the article

I have been amazed that the population are “happy” but tbh I think it’s like here, there’s a large group who are very unhappy but we either don’t speak up, or if we try to speak up, we are silenced.

BrokenBrit Wed 13-May-20 22:31:44

I think NZ have handled the crisis amazingly with hardly any deaths. Friends in NZ are happy with the PM and how Coivd has been handled there. JA is a decent left wing leader who has acted in a structured and compassionate manner that many other world leaders could learn from.
I am far more fearful of what is happening here than there, and would feel much safer there.

LilacTree1 Wed 13-May-20 22:32:38

“ The original two-year sunset clause has been mitigated by an amendment to see the legislation refreshed every 90 days, or longer if required.”

Longer if required effectively means the sunset clause is redundant?

Does anyone know what the constitutional protection is in Sweden which, I understand, makes it much harder for them to enact this sort of thing?

YouTheCat Wed 13-May-20 22:34:46

I wish I lived in New Zealand.

YouTheCat Wed 13-May-20 22:37:54

Also Boris has done similar but he isn't even running policy past his cabinet, never mind parliament. His Sunday address was not passed by other politicians. He is acting like a dictator and not listening to the scientists.

TooMuchBloodyChoice Wed 13-May-20 22:41:51

I really admire JA and think she is a force to be reckoned with. I wish she was PM over here!

That said, any such laws as above are a worry. I mean, I'd trust her current government with it, and that it would be reviewed and possibly removed if it was no longer needed. She doesn't seem the type to unnecessarily restrict the laws of her citizens - this is clearly the response to the current crisis.

But put that power in the wrong hands and its dangerous. And I could see why it would cause unhappiness.

GrouchyKiwi Wed 13-May-20 22:42:17

I know plenty of people in NZ who were pleased with how NZ handled this situation but are worried about this legislation. It was done under urgency and hasty legislation is almost invariably bad legislation.

The change re the sunset clause is welcome. The main opposition party leader is an idiot so very unlikely to keep the right scrutiny on the government. It is worrying.

As long as people keep questioning and holding the govt to account it should be OK, though.

LilacTree1 Wed 13-May-20 22:42:41

Agree, YoutheCat, I think the Coronavirus legislation in the UK has thrown all human rights out of the winDow too

Also, re NZ, if marae have to be consulted before entering homes there, what is the parallel safeguard for people who are not in those communities?

These are genuine questions, I don’t know if it’s a case of one group standing up for themselves and others didn’t bother.

nocoolnamesleft Wed 13-May-20 22:43:31

Right now, I'd love to be living in NZ.

AnneOfTeenFables Wed 13-May-20 22:51:53

I'd love to be living in NZ too. JA is fab. Their approach to the coronavirus has been amazing and it's laughable that people are trying to pick holes in legislation that they don't understand so they can try to discredit the impressive actions of the NZ government.

KipperTea Wed 13-May-20 22:52:49

Nope I’m with this all the way. The government are doing what needs to be done to ensure COVID is kept in a containment situation. Much better than Johnson’s meaningless piffle such as advising people to wear face masks, relying on the majority to have common sense, walking to work, keeping borders open and giving the police zero powers to come down firmly on gatherings and quarantine flouters. I can’t think how the fuck the UK is every going to ensure people are kept as safe as possible with their slow to the party, incompetent, dithering ineffectual response. I’d feel much safer in any number of countries right now, NZ being one of them.

WorkingItOutAsIGo Wed 13-May-20 22:56:24

I too wish I was living in NZ. So few deaths. Confidently moving out of lockdown.

RedRed9 Wed 13-May-20 22:59:16

Am I being silly: what C19 related reason would they need to enter someone’s home for?

PinkyAndTheBrian Wed 13-May-20 23:00:07

Family in NZ are very happy about how things have been handled, and have faith in JA.

Their biggest worry is how us lot in the UK are doing.

cdtaylornats Wed 13-May-20 23:02:59

Moving out of lockdown but staying isolated from the world.

GabsAlot Wed 13-May-20 23:03:47

yeah because we're doing so great here-i love our rights to die whnever we want

wafflyversatile Wed 13-May-20 23:04:22

Well if there was a govt I would trust with these laws it's probably NZ.

donquixotedelamancha Wed 13-May-20 23:06:25

These sorts of laws never get pulled back.

That's a bit of a leap. Most western democracies have enacted unprecedented laws granting sweeping powers. This is a bit more than most, but it isn't China.

I'm utterly against government having too much power over the individual normally but a similarly fast and effective lockdown here would have saved tens of thousands and prevented economic collapse.

I trust that NZers will act to get their government back in the event of some unlikely attempt to make these powers permanent.

MH1111 Wed 13-May-20 23:14:04

At lot more lives have been lost for our freedom than covid will take.
Nothing is worth giving up our freedom for especially if it’s for our own ‘protection’

CJsGoldfish Wed 13-May-20 23:20:42

Meh.
I'll defer to the actual NZers regarding this. Have you engaged with any of them on this thread?

Personally, I'd be happy with the low infection/death rate and not having to fear for my parents every single day.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »