Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to be upset that my work didn't send me flowers?

(9 Posts)
oysterpots Tue 18-Sep-07 20:58:49

Had DS 8 weeks ago, a colleague had her DD 4 weeks ago. Saw her on Thursday - she said our work had sent her a bouquet and card to congratulate her on the birth. I didn't get anything.

Am really miffed about it! But should I just forget about it? Thing is, I'm supposed to be going back after maternity leave whereas she's left for good. Just feeling a bit left out I suppose.

I did send one of our other colleagues who is still there an email saying I felt a bit left out. Tried to make it sound light-hearted. Haven't had a response though, and wonder if they think I'm being childish. Am I??

Carmenere Tue 18-Sep-07 21:00:12

Ouch that hurts. probably best not to say anything about it though as it is too late really. sorry for you though.

Wisteria Tue 18-Sep-07 21:02:47

Oh Oysterpots - Congratulations!

I would be upset myself especially when post natal as everything feels a bit mroe raw. Is it possible that it is an oversight? If it is a big company might it be departmental in that if someone starts the collection it happens and if your dept doesn't think about it it doesn't get done?
If it is something done for all employees funded by the actual company (as opposed to employees) as my last company does for everyone then it is very wrong as it could be seen as discriminatory.

<Sending you huge cyber bouquet wrapped in ribbons with a bottle of champers attached!>

oysterpots Thu 20-Sep-07 14:29:12

Quite the opposite, Wisteria - there are only about 10 of us who work there!

Colleague who got the flowers was in hospital for a fortnight with her prem baby (36 weeks) because she couldn't get feeding established. I was in for a week because my DS had pneumonia... Maybe they were more concerned about her than they were about me!

Carmenere Thu 20-Sep-07 14:32:56

Well seeing as there are so few of you working there maybe you should milk it? Go in and say, 'cheers guys, thanks a million for the flowers, it really cheered me up when my newborn baby was ill' They are bound to be embarrassed and try to make it up to you.

This may not work if you are really, really, upset. I mean don't do it if you are likely to burst into tears.......or then again...........

I'm angry for you though, it is rotten.

bubblagirl Thu 20-Sep-07 14:36:29

i wouldn't take it too personally i'm sure they didn't mean anything by it but yeah i too would of been really upset i would be inclined to saying something but you dont want your worki ng atmosphere to bad

could it maybe of been flowers for leaving but not ndessasarily for baby maybe as your not leaving they didn't get you any flowers? just a thought

Wisteria Thu 20-Sep-07 19:50:51

I think, given it's such a small office, it was probably a leaving pressie as much as anything and unfortunately was not properly worded.

I would be miserable too but take a look at your lovely baby and order yourself a big bunch (just for the sake of it!).

oysterpots Thu 20-Sep-07 20:26:42

We did both get big bouquets and presents back in June on the day we actually left (it was the same day) so I don't think it was that

Sunshine78 Thu 20-Sep-07 20:32:17

Try not to let them get to you they probably just didn't think as people usually dont just remember this when one of them has something to celebrate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now