Talk

Advanced search

Really struggling with eating too much! Addictive perosnality

(91 Posts)
Itshotoday Tue 12-May-20 08:34:49

I posted on the diet forum too.

Is anyone else struggling? I’m working from home for most of the week and work continues. Stress of the commute And drop off to childminder etc has been removed Which is fantastic. I still am working though (thankful for having a job) and sometimes my job is still stressful and full on. I have just lost all willpower. I usually wouldn’t keep chocolate etc in the house by my husband is working full time from home and likes lots of the stuff I overeat on. It’s not his fault he didn’t buy it all for me! Yet I’m diving into the sugar and carbs by 10 am.

It doesn’t matter if I have eggs for breakfast or porridge this isn’t a hunger thing Or to do with the nutritional Quality of my meals. I’m just turning to food. I don’t have any willpower.

I’m have tried various strategies but have to say I’ve even been tempted to drink earlier in the day - which I’m avoiding as sort of think overeating. I never used to eat milk chocolate or biscuits as I found they only ever used to make me want more and weren’t satisfying - I would eat bread, dark choc etc. Now all I want is carbs and would eat a packet given the chance! I don’t want one, I want the lot.

Anyone else really struggling when it comes to food?

This isn’t meant to be a moan as generally everything else is good. Apart from my terrible willpower.

Itshotoday Tue 12-May-20 08:36:19

Oops meant to say I’m avoiding drinking during the day as well aware that would provide me with two problems not one. I have a very addictive personality so am careful not to drink.

Isadora2007 Tue 12-May-20 08:40:00

Have you ever actually tried a low carb diet? There is a lot of evidence that it isn’t emotional eating so much as biological reactions to spikes in blood sugar than make you “crave carbs”.
The only time I don’t feel like eating or overeating is when I eat low carb diets. But my head has to be in the game to get started.
Currently I'm doing the 16:8 where you only eat in an 8 hour window. As a similarly addictive personality I find the all or nothing approach actually works. I eat freely between 11-7 and still lose weight.

Siameasy Tue 12-May-20 09:40:13

My personality is like yours so I do “low carb high fat“ coupled with intermittent fasting - there are sections here where you can join one of the bootcamps. Sounds like you have a sugar addiction and this way of eating tackles it head on so you lose the cravings and end up just not that bothered by food and able to shrug it off.

Itshotoday Tue 12-May-20 09:53:34

I have thought I had tried low carb but I have to be honest I haven’t strictly. I didn’t want to make myself more obsessed with food however, that’s now working out for me! I was having lots of skimmed milk whilst I tried low carb for about two days.

This gives me hope though. That you have experienced similar and resolution! To be honest was thinking this was all psychological. So if there is something I can actively do to help stop those cravings.

I don’t believe is good addiction but I do act like I can’t stop. I’m raising everything like a mad woman. I also have to say when stressed the sugar foods do give me a bit of a rush. I’m not absolving responsibility but my husband has one slice of cake then is done. I have that slice then want to eat more - mainly when I’m stressed though. Not addiction but not rational behaviour!

KittenVsBox Tue 12-May-20 10:23:08

The only way I can deal with it is not have it in the house. Thankfully DH likes nuts, and I dont so he can have stuff in the house I dont scoff. The kids are more problematic....

I do manage better if I can go for a few days without sugar, then I seem to need it less. I cant get my head round carb free, but probably need to...

I8toys Tue 12-May-20 10:31:57

The only way I control my eating is by eating at certain times. Lunch at 1200, snack at 1500hrs and then 1700hrs, tea at 1830hrs. Low fat snacks in the house for me and other non diet food for the others. I would just binge and eat everything if I didn't regiment myself. I also write down everything I eat. Also more protein then carbs.

TwelveSocks Tue 12-May-20 10:44:22

I try to eat only after 1pm every day and stop at 7. I’ve stopped eating bread except some warburton thins on weekends and try to drink lots of green tea and have fruit for snacks.
I still manage to eat crisps and crackers with cheese and find time to snack but my weight does go down very slowly.
I’ve tried low carb and it does work but all it takes is a dinner out or then I start craving the carbs like mad and undo all the good work.
I figured it was better for me to control it in another way. I’m much happier this way too.

Isawamagpie Tue 12-May-20 10:55:59

Watching with interest, I'm struggling too. I started off all good intentions - I was exercising 5 days/7 (and killing myself doing so) and doing my fitness pal. By week 3 I had lost 2lbs, which to be honest went up and down daily. All that hard work for what?

Feeling very dejected i took 5 days off it all where I did whatever I wanted. Now I know I've got to come back from it and try again.

I too will eat everything in sighy given the chance, I'm a serial snacker.

My weights only become a recent problem starting a year or so ago and snaking up and up, so this trying to loose weight is all new to me and I'm really struggling ...

How quickly can you realistically shift weight? I lost about 2lbs in 3 weeks - I was exercising - yoga, running, working muscle groups, being calorie deficit by using my fitness pal and still nothing lost?

Siameasy Tue 12-May-20 12:13:24

I would recommend reading Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. He has videos on You Tube.
You won’t be obsessed with food. Quite the opposite-the scales fell from my eyes. I like food but I have control now. But it does involve completely giving up sugar (including fruit) and starch initially (and that includes artificial sweeteners) to break the addiction. The good bit is you can eat fat freely so no more skimmed milk for you-cream all the way!!

Siameasy Tue 12-May-20 12:17:24

Oh magpie that is soul destroying and I have been there!
So, exercise-obviously it’s good for you but for weight loss alone, not much use. It just makes you hungrier 🤷‍♀️
Plus exercising simply for weight loss is utterly depressing imo. Doing it to get fit, improve at said sport, better mental health, for body composition - yes, brilliant.

bridgetreilly Tue 12-May-20 12:34:58

Carbs make you crave carbs. I would try to cut out as much as possible (all carbs, not just chocolate and biscuits) for the next 2-3 days. That should be enough to reset the system. And then plan going forward a better long-term way of eating, to stop you getting back into the craving cycle.

talismankeeper Tue 12-May-20 12:45:24

My weight increased quickly in the first weeks of lockdown. I told myself I deserved to treat myself as everything was hard and stressful. The more I read about coronavirus the more terrified I became because my BMI is too high. I started a LCHF diet just two weeks ago and am 8lb down already. I feel so much better, not hungry at all for hours and hours. I have been reading the obesity code by Jason Fung, just £1.90 ish on Kindle which is helping me understand.

Itshotoday Tue 12-May-20 16:00:29

Well even after reading all this making a sandwich for family for lunch then had one myself and yes was in carb frenzy. I think the just no carb and eating time frame might be very helpful. At the moment the “just have a little bit” doesn’t work.

I had success some time ago with 16:8 because simply it was a case of “no you can’t have that it’s not eating time yet”.

At the same time I also don’t sleep well if hungry so thinking 13:00 - 20.00.

That’s another factor we’re all not sleeping well either. Going to bed too late and hay fever - lack of a sleep I think is affecting hunger and moods. Again partly lack of discipline.

Talisman you’re doing brilliantly. Do you miss the carb high? I’ve really got into “you deserve a treat” one Kit Kat leads to 6. Last year I wasn’t that fussed by food, I loved it but didn’t eat like I am now. It’s like permanent pmt!

Itshotoday Tue 12-May-20 16:01:34

Brigetreilley has this approach worked for you?

Itshotoday Tue 12-May-20 16:03:45

Siameasy just reading up about this chap. I had heard of him but couldn’t remember why. He does eat pumpernickel bread whatever that is, sounds carby,but one slice .

So why do carbs crave carbs. I just think I find carbs for soporific - a bit a drink at times.

Itshotoday Tue 12-May-20 16:06:46

I think the odd thing is I just don’t feel stuffed like the others. My husband has a sandwich and state’s that he feels bloated, not me. We had birthday cake and I just wanted to put my head in it and eat it 😂 no stop button.

Isamagpie - could you have gained muscle with all that exercise?

Itshotoday Tue 12-May-20 16:09:43

I8toys she 12socks - I almost so found not eating till lunch really helpful but since working from home I’ve lost the habit. I tried it for one day and did brilliantly but the next day got to 9am and hit the fridge when I saw my workload. Did it take you long to get back into the routine ?

Siameasy Tue 12-May-20 16:16:27

Eurgh I hate that pumpernickel bread I did try it years ago.
What many low carbers do is go cold turkey and then find out what their trigger foods are (mine are the starches, I’m less of a sugar fiend) and also what their daily allowance of carbs would be to maintain their new weight.
I am not safe around bread and besides it gives me reflux so I avoid.
I have no off button around crisps either (or pasta)
The cravings are to do with carbs’ effect on blood sugar and insulin.
My favourite saying is “a little is never enough” because I could nose bag a big crisp packet

savehalloween Tue 12-May-20 16:45:17

Thanks for this post, I'm struggling massively. Before this I had started going to the gym 3 times a week and eating sensible portions. No diets for the first time in my life. But I've gained 6lbs as I can't go to the gym and hate running outside.

I'm going to look into the low carb stuff, thank you.

I maintain I'm not an emotional eater, so that makes sense

Itshotoday Tue 12-May-20 16:54:17

Siameasy - i did chuckle I think the only thinks I don’t overeat are raw broccoli, greens And fish (eggs meat etc) and oil!

A little is never enough - v good. How long have you been. Following low carb?

Also how do you destress?

Itshotoday Tue 12-May-20 17:04:09

Things not thinks - I can’t type today.

Siameasy Tue 12-May-20 17:13:04

Lol I actually have a new admiration for veggies. Because you’re allowed fat (unlike conventional diets) you can enjoy things like garlic butter, cheese, cream cheese or sour cream with your veggies. Cauliflower is the best vegetable ever-mashed then put grated cheese on top and grill.

18months now - having a great time. De stress would be hobbies, exercise, getting enough sleep, cups of tea😳and being outdoors.

I think one of the hardest things is coming to terms with the idea that food is not a crutch or a comfort. You have to find something else which isn’t food to fulfill that role.

Siameasy Tue 12-May-20 17:13:23

What are your causes of stress?

Itshotoday Tue 12-May-20 17:38:26

Yes and that’s a habit I’ve picked up over the past 6 weeks. I used to run which I absolutely loved, but knees didn’t.

I have noticed I’m a lot hungrier than I used to be years ago, genuinely suddenly get slumps and her ravenous. I drink a lot of coffee which likely doesn’t help.

Always wake and have skimmed milk (prob) about a pint in the am. Wonder if this is throwing blood glucose out of whack(?). It’s interesting you’ve (and others) have mentioned low carb. I’ve (sorry) always thought it’s a bit faddy and I don’t have diabetes but do suffer huge energy slumps esp since turning 40 a few years ago (sigh).

Stress is mainly work and workload. I think a bit of boredom combined with work stress.

I think I need a lunch ready made so when I turn into the food monster I have something to turn to. I’m using food to procrastinate too, it’s a nice distraction from work. Ultimately though it’s like sticking your head in the sand and if I continue like I have for the past few weeks I’ll need to book a crane to lift me out when lockdown ends grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »