Talk

Advanced search

'I'm a key worker' is the most overused phrase atm

(342 Posts)
Imakeyworker Sun 10-May-20 09:20:05

Like a badge of honour. I heard one woman say it to 3 different people in a shop yesterday.

Technically I am a key worker.

Should I be letting everyone know about it?

OP’s posts: |
Boomclaps Sun 10-May-20 09:20:40

Me too. I’m not shouting about it!

BullshitVivienne Sun 10-May-20 09:21:21

On here as well. Apparently you can do what you want at the moment if you're a key worker.

(I am one, on maternity leave).

BullshitVivienne Sun 10-May-20 09:21:41

And I see the irony of me sharing that.

Isleepinahedgefund Sun 10-May-20 09:22:08

As per the definition given by the govt a few weeks ago, we are practically all key workers, even if we don't have jobs.

mooching Sun 10-May-20 09:22:28

Technically I am too but I haven't uttered the phrase once. I've just said 'I'm off to work', key does not need to inserted in the sentence!

mooching Sun 10-May-20 09:23:29

Although 'be' did need to be. Sorry!

ArnoldBee Sun 10-May-20 09:23:32

I am a key worker. I don't tell anyone except for this as who needs to know?

Dragonsanddinosaurs Sun 10-May-20 09:23:37

I can see why people feel he need to shout about it TBH. Most key workers are in roles that have never been appreciated, and are currently putting themselves at risk on a daily basis. Can you really blame them if some of them want everyone to know it.

OscarWildesCat Sun 10-May-20 09:23:44

Yip, everyone and their dog is either a key worker or works for the NHS at the moment, its getting old hearing it everywhere confused

Macncheeseballs Sun 10-May-20 09:23:56

Yeah especially when its incorrectly used

Alocasia Sun 10-May-20 09:24:24

I’m a ‘key workers but currently furloughed. So spending all my days in the house. So I’m definitely not deserving of any of the praise being directed towards key workers!

Ginfordinner Sun 10-May-20 09:24:27

And "unprecedented" is the most overused word right now.

Imakeyworker Sun 10-May-20 09:24:41

* And I see the irony of me sharing that.*

Don't worry! I've changed my username to reflect the fact that without me, the world would end...

ScubaSteven Sun 10-May-20 09:25:59

I think it’s unavoidable really, people seem to need to justify their every move because of judgemental comments made questioning why people are out of their house or why they are buying certain things. It’s used as a defence, which is awful that people should feel that way. I think it highlights insecurities too, being a key worker is scary for some people at the moment.

Floatyboat Sun 10-May-20 09:26:51

What about frontline key workers?

Butterbeeeen Sun 10-May-20 09:27:05

I'm a key worker. The fact I havnt been to work in nearly 8 weeks (Ds had a cough before lockdown) is irrelevant. I think we are all key workers to be fair.

Imakeyworker Sun 10-May-20 09:27:49

Dragons
Good point.
It's about time some workers get the recognition they deserve.
I for one wouldn't be able to do my 'key' role without the site staff, cleaners, delivery drivers, warehouse workers.

lotusbell Sun 10-May-20 09:28:33

"I can't stay at home, I'm a key worker" profile picture overlays on Facebook. Nothing wrong with taking pride in your work and wanting to feel appreciated at times like this, but I won't be made to feel bad because my job is not considered essential.
There seems to be a slight condescending mentality of "you do your but and stay at home, so that is important people fight the battle"

Imakeyworker Sun 10-May-20 09:28:39

Floaty
What about them?

Imakeyworker Sun 10-May-20 09:31:02

Scuba
* It’s used as a defence, which is awful that people should feel that way. I think it highlights insecurities too*

Yes, you're right!
I hadn't thought of it that way.

JustOneSquareofDarkChocolate Sun 10-May-20 09:31:06

I’m a key worker. smile
What I find most hilarious/irritating, depending on my mood, is local Facebook posts where posters manager to work it into every post eg:

“I’m a key worker, anyone got any idea where I can get some yeast at the moment?”

“I’m a key worker, anyone know where I can buy compost?”

VerticalHorizon Sun 10-May-20 09:32:35

My mate works at a Timpsons kiosk. Apparently he is a key worker.

(I'll get my coat)

AntennaReborn Sun 10-May-20 09:32:45

I'm technically a key worker, but I am not frontline and although my role contributes heavily to maintaining the economy I would not say to anyone IRL that I am a key worker.

I have been WFH in comfort, and am sheltered from any risk. In my mind, "real" key workers are the ones actually going out of the house and dealing with the public (HCPs, shop workers, delivery drivers etc.)

IDefinitelyHaveFriends Sun 10-May-20 09:33:00

22% of the working age population according to the IFS, and 26% of working age women, though of course that doesn’t force you to bang on about it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »