Talk

Advanced search

Face mask

(25 Posts)
Samcro Sun 03-May-20 19:43:15

Heard it mentioned that we might all have to wear face masks.
Aibu wondering how, seeing as they are impossible to get.
Had a look on amazon, so there even if you order now, you can't get them for weeks, add in a lot are substandard.
Very confused by it all.

KotoMoto Sun 03-May-20 19:44:22

We will have to start making our own. Lots of community groups / cottage industries are setting up doing just that.

NannyR Sun 03-May-20 19:45:46

Face coverings have been suggested rather than specifically masks, so you could use a scarf. There are loads of online tutorials on how to make homemade masks.

Ponoka7 Sun 03-May-20 19:46:41

On my FB there's been people making and selling them for a while. We won't need medical grade masks.

Samcro Sun 03-May-20 19:48:33

So i can just make one, do you still have to get a filter.
Some i saw just looke like a bra cup, did get me thinking

Samcro Sun 03-May-20 19:49:33

Sadly no one on my facebook seems to be selling them

mamaoffourdc Sun 03-May-20 19:56:15

Have a look at Etsy.com

Samcro Sun 03-May-20 20:05:13

Thanks for the link. Looking at some of them, i think i could make one.

Gibbonsgibbonsgibbons Sun 03-May-20 20:07:16

There are loads of simple tutorials/patterns from sewing machine to hand sew to no sew

opticaldelusion Sun 03-May-20 20:08:21

I thought there was talk of covering your nose/mouth. So a scarf will do.

missmouse101 Sun 03-May-20 20:09:51

Lots of handmade ones on eBay.

TeenPlusTwenties Sun 03-May-20 20:10:41

The aim of the general public wearing masks is so that if you have the virus then you don't spread it.

It is very different from PPE which is designed to protect the wearer from others.

SunbathingDragon Sun 03-May-20 20:12:56

Loads are for sale on eBay. I bought a reusable one that has space for a tissue or similar. I figured if we do need one, it was best to get one now before it is formally announced.

bellinisurge Sun 03-May-20 20:17:28

Easy to make. Tested a few versions out on dd this weekend. Naturally she was bored and irritated grin

FOJN Sun 03-May-20 20:36:38

They're really easy to make if you have a machine and some sewing skills. I made one this week from a YouTube tutorial, there was an option to download the pattern. I used florists wire wrapped in tape for the nose strip but you could use any thin strip of bendy metal.

As a pp has mentioned there are tutorials for no sew masks too.

You can make one with a filter pocket if you want one and any none woven fabric can be used as a filter.

Sushiroller Sun 03-May-20 20:42:20

Oh I thought this was going to be a style and beauty thing and was going to recommend espa 3 in 1 or that duo set from Charlotte Tilbury blush

EveryDayIsADuvetDay Sun 03-May-20 20:45:06

I'm planning to make some of these
www.regmedctr.org/webres/File/OlsonMask_wPattern_v3-USE%20THIS%20ONE.pdf

I've bought some paper coffee filters to use as a lining. Huge pack in Tesco for £1.50 - not sure whether to use them double or split each one in half. They're an ideal shape.

One of the fabrics I bought has a complicated pattern, so I might make some of the flat ones with pleats too.

Samcro Sun 03-May-20 20:46:58

Thanks for the tips i have a machine so will have a go

Merryoldgoat Sun 03-May-20 20:47:07

@Sushiroller I came to recommend the Beauty Pie clay mask and their sheet mask as well blush

OmgThereAreNoPlanesAboveMeNow Sun 03-May-20 20:48:03

It's very simple to make. My mum now has probably hundred and gave away another hundred.
100% so you can boil it after each use.
There are two general types. The folded one and the "beak" shaped one (no. Not THAT beak shaped one). You can make them double layer with pocket for extra "filter". No mask you freely buy or make will be 100%, but it's important to remember that it does not really protect you, but it protects others from you.

bellinisurge Sun 03-May-20 21:18:27

Dd (13) preferred the flat ones with pleats. When she wasn't utterly bored of the whole thing.

Samcro Mon 04-May-20 11:31:50

i have ordered a lovely one from Etsy.

Justhenders Thu 21-May-20 15:15:05

I have made a few 2 layer elastic ear looped masks: www.etsy.com/uk/listing/807487159/handmade-face-masks-in-29-colours-2?ref=shop_home_feat_1&frs=1&bes=1 free postage. X

nonevernotever Thu 21-May-20 15:17:28

I made lots of the Olson pattern from this tutorial: www.sewcanshe.com/blog/simple-step-by-step-tutorial-for-the-olson-mask-pattern
Dead easy to make, a pocket for a filter and comfy to wear (as these things go.

nonevernotever Thu 21-May-20 15:17:52

And I used hair bobbles for the elastic which works really well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »