Talk

Advanced search

Really cross

(143 Posts)
Hingeandbracket Fri 10-Apr-20 09:03:43

Is this a regional expression?

I keep seeing it on here and I always imagine it being said in a Southern English accent.

It sounds like a refugee from a 1950s Ealing Comedy.

PawPatrolMakesMeDrink Fri 10-Apr-20 09:04:33

I’m northern, Yorkshire, I’ve always said it.

Dhalandchips Fri 10-Apr-20 09:05:44

I say it instead of pissed off to the kids if they've pissed me off. I'm northern living in the South with a hybrid accent due to being an army brat. wink

BuffaloCauliflower Fri 10-Apr-20 09:08:41

Well maybe I’m giving myself away as a southerner, but what’s wrong with ‘really cross’? Seems like a pretty basic thing to say. I probably say pissed off more but wouldn’t think anything of the former. I’d have thought cross was a pretty basic English word?

Ferfooksek Fri 10-Apr-20 09:12:04

Every time I hear it, I imagine it’s someone from Turnbridge Wells.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Fri 10-Apr-20 09:12:43

I thought it was a normal thing to say? confused

pancakesunday Fri 10-Apr-20 09:14:30

It's just a normal thing to say. I'm from the Midlands and I say it 😄

WhyCantIThinkOfAGoodOne Fri 10-Apr-20 09:14:41

It's a polite way of saying you're fucked off.

puds11 Fri 10-Apr-20 09:15:45

I say annoyed but my mum always said cross. She’s Yorkshire.

MarieQueenofScots Fri 10-Apr-20 09:16:27

I’m northern, Yorkshire, I’ve always said it

This smile

elQuintoConyo Fri 10-Apr-20 09:18:05

"Really cross, from Gillingham" on Points of View grin

I've always used this expression, also a forces brat that's lived all over the shop!

Lindy2 Fri 10-Apr-20 09:18:28

Er no.

It's just what you say when you're really cross. hmm

MajesticWhine Fri 10-Apr-20 09:18:59

Reminds me of the joke about the nuns who are driving along and a vampire jumps on to the windscreen of their car. One sister says to the other "show him your cross" and the other one yells out of the window "get off the fucking car"

hiredandsqueak Fri 10-Apr-20 09:20:02

I say it, it used to strike fear into the dc when they were younger. As they got older I'd go for "I'm not cross just disappointed" which ds informed me, as an adult, was far worse than "really cross" grin

BasicIntentions Fri 10-Apr-20 09:23:42

I say this. I’m in Lancashire.

merryhouse Fri 10-Apr-20 09:25:49

yeah, it only sounds weird and old-fashioned because you're so used to people saying they're pissed off grin

I'm from the East Midlands and we had the word "crosspatch"

Crosspatch, draw the latch
sit by the fire and spin
take a cup and drink it up -
and call the neighbours in

TriciaMcMillan Fri 10-Apr-20 09:26:12

London born and bred, 'really cross' is a lifesaver for when I actually mean 'incredibly fucked off' but can't say that in front of the children!

LouiseTrees Fri 10-Apr-20 09:26:38

@Hingeandbracket I feel like you might be Scottish and it does occasionally get said up here too. Although the word angry comes out more often than cross.

TriciaMcMillan Fri 10-Apr-20 09:27:26

Sometime it's worse and I'm really quite cross.

Dieu Fri 10-Apr-20 09:27:37

Very few Scots would use it. Maybe posh old grannies!

custardbear Fri 10-Apr-20 09:29:32

Southerner here living in the East Midlands and use cross a lot - have young
Children though so feel it's better than I'm really ducked /pissed off

PrincessHoneysuckle Fri 10-Apr-20 09:30:42

Fucking fuming or pissed off here.Never heard anyone be restrained and saying I'm cross.

fascinated Fri 10-Apr-20 09:36:09

Not really used in Scotland even by posh folk. Angry, upset etc

Or Scots

Beelin’ !

Is my fave. Nowadays people swear a lot but that’s not my style.

fascinated Fri 10-Apr-20 09:38:02

Surely fuming is more than cross tho? I always thought cross was just a bit displeased... but maybe I’m wrong!

Ragin’ is another popular one here. But that to me is stronger than just cross...

Mirador Fri 10-Apr-20 09:40:11

I was also a forces brat, half the family from Yorkshire and half from Lancashire and we used 'really cross' and various forms of it. Ah the refrains of 'See how cross you've made me?' or 'Now you've made me really cross' bring back memories.

I'm in my late forties now and back when I was little, saying pissed would have sent my parents into apoplexy. In fact thanks to the conditioning as a kid, I still struggle to say pissed off, as it feels like I'm being bad for swearing grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »