Talk

Advanced search

To be thinking about Easter Sunday shopping laws

(153 Posts)
JellyfishandShells Thu 09-Apr-20 09:08:40

DH and I were just discussing our food options for the next week. We have no problems in getting what we need (SW London) - supermarkets well stocked around here and we are very flexible about when we can shop.

Just checked and the usual Easter Sunday closure is on the timetables of all our local stores. It’s an anomaly, a concession given to the anti campaign in the 80s, when Sunday opening was first allowed. The reason given was that staff and customers would be able to go to church on an important day in the religious calendar.

Not religious myself, and not bringing this up as a general discussion point, but at this time I think an exception could be considered. It is going to increase the number of people who are still working a traditional week, either from home or physically there , having to do their shopping on Friday or Saturday. The queues on those days will be proportionately longer. Stores have taken on a lot of new staff, on flexible contracts, so could surely cover the hours.

MamaBearOnLockdown Thu 09-Apr-20 09:13:45

Local supermarkets seemed to have delivery slots for Sunday, so it looks like some people are working.

but YABU to think that closing Easter Sunday in general is "an anomaly".

mochojoes Thu 09-Apr-20 09:14:55

I can't see the queues on Sat or Mon been that much bigger, the supermarkets are urging people to physically shop

Shoxfordian Thu 09-Apr-20 09:16:31

We're all supposed to be buying food for a few days at a time anyway so it shouldn't be too hard to buy enough that you don't need to go out on Sunday

mochojoes Thu 09-Apr-20 09:16:49

It's not like most people will be having the usual Easter lunch surrounded by family

chocolatesaltyballs22 Thu 09-Apr-20 09:17:33

Do you not think the staff working in supermarkets deserve Easter Sunday off?!

JellyfishandShells Thu 09-Apr-20 09:17:52

* 0but YABU to think that closing Easter Sunday in general is "an anomaly"*

Maybe I used the wrong word. It is an unusual exception to the trading hours laws - doesn’t apply to other religious or Bank Holidays. It was put into law at a time when the religious practices of this country were very different. And people can’t actually go to any kind of church this year. I wasn’t trying to turn this into a religious discussion in general - just pointing out that these are exceptional times.

WhatATimeToBeAlive Thu 09-Apr-20 09:18:33

Or maybe it would just be an opportunity for staff to spend a day with their families without being abused by the general public. We can survive the shops being closed for one day.

mochojoes Thu 09-Apr-20 09:19:26

Do you think the shops will be overrun though?

ShanghaiDiva Thu 09-Apr-20 09:20:42

I think people have had plenty of time to plan when to shop regarding Sunday closure. I think all retail workers will welcome a day where they are not exposed to hundreds of people.
If shops on Sunday are closed, we stay home and minimise our exposure to other people which is the purpose of the lockdown so YABU.

JellyfishandShells Thu 09-Apr-20 09:20:45

Di you not think the staff working in supermarkets deserve Easter Sunday off?

I already addressed that by noting the recent recruitment of many extra staff. And why Easter Sunday more than other Bank Holidays ? People can’t get together with wider family groups this year.

Ilikewinter Thu 09-Apr-20 09:21:00

Yeah its not like those people working supermarkets arent looking forward to ONE day off this Easter weekend. There is absolutely no need for stores to be open, there will be no big family gatherings anyway.

BogRollBOGOF Thu 09-Apr-20 09:22:17

I'd rather the staff all have a well deserved day at home rather than risking abusive customers and being exposed to the virus. Reducing the risk of social spread for a day is no bad thing, especially if it counterbalances any muppets who didn't get the memo that they can't celebrate with family or go out on a nice jolly to somewhere touristy.

cinammonbuns Thu 09-Apr-20 09:22:34

Yes the people who are working tirelessly at supermarkets don’t deserve a day off. The queuing times for people is much more important.

Ilikewinter Thu 09-Apr-20 09:24:20

Yes but the recruitment of extra staff is to help with the demand in the stores. If the stores were to open on Easter Sunday you couldnt staff the day on skeleton staff, or by using just the new staff. Customers would shop as if it was a normal day, therefore all the stores would have to staff it as such.

Suze1621 Thu 09-Apr-20 09:24:53

YABU - give shop staff a break. Pity they couldn't have closed for the whole weekend.

AChickenCalledDaal Thu 09-Apr-20 09:25:19

Churches are planning all sorts of creative ways to celebrate on Easter Sunday. It's definitely still happening.

InAPrettyCabinet Thu 09-Apr-20 09:26:37

I'm working on Sunday and I don't want the store to be open. It's impossible to do my job at the moment so I'm looking forward to day I can catch up on all the things I can't do on days we are open.

PurpleDaisies Thu 09-Apr-20 09:26:50

It’s one day.
Shops are closed on Christmas Day too.

I think shop workers deserve a break.

Parkandride Thu 09-Apr-20 09:26:53

I think Sunday trading laws in England are ridiculous, but god supermarket staff need a day off - what they're dealing with is insane. I hope they all have a nice day off

Lockheart Thu 09-Apr-20 09:27:16

There are many things I could get worked up about at the moment. The shops being closed for a single day is not one of them.

It's not like people will be throwing parties or hosting family Easter lunches this weekend is it.

MamaBearOnLockdown Thu 09-Apr-20 09:28:49

OP I get your point though. First so many people are out of work, there are A LOT of people willing to work at the moment, and trying to be recruited.

Shops have FINALLY started to impose social distancing. Spreading shoppers makes more sense. It is true that queues to supermarkets are so much longer at the weekend here - weekends are the only chance some people are able to shop.

In these circumstances, shops are already planning to restock non stop during the weekend by the look of it - again, there are deliveries scheduled here on Sunday, so someone is clearly at work.

InAPrettyCabinet Thu 09-Apr-20 09:28:54

Oh and thank you to everyone who is recognising that we need a break from it all. We are mentally and emotionally exhausted at the moment.

LittleBearPad Thu 09-Apr-20 09:29:37

I lived in a country where supermarkets, shops etc never opened on a Sunday. It was lovely to have a day where life actually stopped. People know the shops are shut this Sunday. They can buy taking account of this and I think the supermarket staff in particular deserve a day off.

iVampire Thu 09-Apr-20 09:29:38

I think having two days a year when shops are (mainly) closed (Easter and Christmas) is OK

Suspension of the rules during a pandemic for food supply would also be OK

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »