Talk

Advanced search

To have reached emotional tipping point

(119 Posts)
PrettyTricky Mon 06-Apr-20 22:10:15

Been pretty stoic the last few weeks, tried to make the most of lockdown at home, homeschooling, business worries. Have played down worries about elderly relatives, especially isolated parents in a different part of the country and have organised shopping for them. Have just been bloody getting on with it and following the rules.

But today I seem to have hit a wall and am finding it hard to cope anymore. I think the news about Boris has made it seem very real, and the sense of disbelief about all of it is suddenly hitting home.
Plus, I was meant to be going to Venice today on a special holiday, but that's irrelevant really given the sufffering going on.

Just feel like having a cry and am very worried about everything really. Not sure what to do with myself.

louisawhitegenius Mon 06-Apr-20 22:12:57

Not at all, i think we have/will all hit the wall at some point. Give yourself a min, you've done great up till now x

Jellybean27 Mon 06-Apr-20 22:14:45

I get you. Boris in ICU has given me a right kick in the gut. Feeling way more unsettled than I already have been.

KellyHall Mon 06-Apr-20 22:14:51

Cry. You'll feel much better afterwards.

I had a good old blub last week and now I feel like I had to fall apart to be able to get up and pull myself together.

RickOShay Mon 06-Apr-20 22:15:40

You are allowed to feel like this. Make yourself a cup of tea and tomorrow just do what you want to do, well within reason smile
flowers

Dishwashersaurous Mon 06-Apr-20 22:15:49

I think that we are all going to be hitting a lot of walls over the next few weeks.

Just acknowledge that you have been doing great. Stop. And do whatever you need to rest and recover. Tomorrow is another day and start again

Goingtogetflamed Mon 06-Apr-20 22:16:30

I find the enormity of the issue incomprehensible and if I think about it too much it threatens to overwhelm me. I have good days and bad days (well it can change quicker than that tbh). Allow yourself time to sit with the information but know when to focus back on the smaller and closer to home things to. Be kind to yourself and know that you’re not alone on what you’re feeling flowers

justasking111 Mon 06-Apr-20 22:19:24

It comes and goes in waves usually pretty much under control. Seeing Boris tonight was absolutely a kick in the guts, I felt tearful myself.

Pleasedontdrawonyoursister Mon 06-Apr-20 22:19:27

It’s ok, we all hit the wall at different times. For me it was Saturday, my toddler hurt himself, the older 2 were fighting, everyone was bored and we had no shopping in. I just cried! Sunday was a much better day and I felt much more positive. Tomorrow could be crap again, just lean on friends/family where you can. I’m sorry about your special holiday, it’s ok to feel upset about it!

maddening Mon 06-Apr-20 22:19:55

You just have to, whilst it is crap you need to keep perspective here, those is Syria and Yemen are going through so much worse than this,. You have a home, you are safe, you live in a country which is looking after people relatively well, there is food in the shops, community around you will help if you are on your arse, it is not mid winter - get perspective, count blessings, have a sleep and a brew and just get by day to day being grateful that you are not other people in this world who are living in hell.

Typhoonmarie Mon 06-Apr-20 22:20:17

I hit my first wall quite early on when I heard the phrase ‘no exit strategy’ and they shut (but not really) the schools.
After a horrible few days I have actually been pretty relaxed and sensible for the last couple of weeks but the Boris news is tipping me over the edge again

Doryhunky Mon 06-Apr-20 22:22:15

what we are being asked to do is just not doable

CheshireSplat Mon 06-Apr-20 22:25:03

Hey Pretty . I'd been doing fine, making most of seeing more of the kids, but I hit the wall on friday and have been very teary since. Coincided with difficult conversations with elderly parents a long way away.

Think I'm feeling a bit better today.... be kind to yourself. We are all busy but usually only one wheel comes off at a time, eg parents, work, kids, home. It's all 4 now, all at once...

Chillicheese123 Mon 06-Apr-20 22:26:19

Something I think can really help is just to switch off from it for a bit. I know it might sound selfish but I have been trying sit on the sofa, no kids, glass of wine (or a Diet Coke or lime and soda or whatever you see as a bit of a treat), light a nice candle and watch something you really fancy on tv. I’ve been watching Anthony Bourdain documentaries, or Drag Race, depending on what I’m in the mood for. Just one or two episodes then go to bed and listen to Headspace relaxing stories with headphones til I drop off. Another really good shout is a bath with a candle on. Something about hot water and flickering light is really relaxing.

LivePositively Mon 06-Apr-20 22:26:22

I feel the same. Have been getting on with it and going out to work but tonight's news of Boris has really hit me and made things very real and I am slightly panicked.

Chillicheese123 Mon 06-Apr-20 22:30:28

Also OP I cancelled my hotel booking for a special trip in a couple of weeks today, I’m going reward myself by using the few hundred quid back on the credit card to treat myself to a new pair of trainers I fancy. But then I feel bad for making non essential purchases, so I’m going to wait a few weeks then treat myself smile

Honeyned Mon 06-Apr-20 22:30:55

I have felt the same today aswell when I have just been trying to stay occupied and distract myself with home schooling and gardening etc. I haven't looked at the news for about a week and today I decided to, which has definitely made me feel a lot worse so I'll be avoiding that again. I agree that poor Boris being so poorly has shocked and worried me aswell. You're allowed to have down days and better days will follow flowers

StepAwayFromGoogle Mon 06-Apr-20 22:31:13

Cry. I hit my wall on Friday and had a proper good sob for about half an hour. I felt so much better afterwards. These are very strange times, OP, but don't overthink it. Just take each day as it comes and go easy on yourself.

OhHuck Mon 06-Apr-20 22:32:32

I've been feeling the same but also with all day morning sickness. Had a midwife appointment today, first time I have been out in weeks. When she asked how I was feeling, I wanted to just cry and let it all out. But I didn't because that would mean touching my face so had to control myself! Had a good cry in the showee though when I got home. Do it, you will feel heaps better.

Kuponut Mon 06-Apr-20 22:34:08

I hit wall number 1 with the school closures and now wall number 2 with bojo (even though I loathe the man I wish no one ill). I'll have my wallow, not sleep tonight, then try to breeze through it tomorrow for the sake of the kids.

PositiveVibez Mon 06-Apr-20 22:38:08

I've got to that point.

I've had a blub.

It was a combo of being scared for my mum and her husband and my 11yo DD having a meltdown.

I had a cry to my husband and felt much better for it.

Needed to let it out.

Let it all out. Have a cry. You are completely entitled 💐

UnaCorda Mon 06-Apr-20 22:39:03

Starting to feel very restless now and bored of my own company. And as of this evening I have no sodding broadband.

Yester Mon 06-Apr-20 22:42:20

Absolutely. Politically I hate Johnson and all he has done. But I wouldn't wish this on anyone and it makes it feel very real. I was so worried he would catch it when he was shaking hands and standing so close to people and basically being so laissez faire that it made other people act the same.
It also means that we are all susceptible no matter what bravado we put on. It makes the country unstable and the future uncertain. Also it's hard being stuck inside for god knows how long.

cravingthelook Mon 06-Apr-20 22:50:57

Yes, I've been working none stop, 12 hours over the weekend too and 12 hours today. I'm tired, I miss my life and everyone in it and my uncle died last night. I just want a hug. I get the wall. I smacked right into it today.

OVienna Mon 06-Apr-20 22:51:36

Yanbu

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »