Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to wish people would stop using flour for play dough

(411 Posts)
Outtedagain Mon 06-Apr-20 14:01:08

Just that. Some people, like me, want to cook with it. I have just worked out (correctly I think) from Facebook feeds featuring play dough recipes that this is contributes to there being no flour.

WriteAndErase Mon 06-Apr-20 14:02:30

Can't get myself worked up about this. Sorry.

Apolloanddaphne Mon 06-Apr-20 14:03:08

People can buy flour to use for whatever reason they want!

MouthBreathingRage Mon 06-Apr-20 14:04:55

People can use the flour they buy for whatever reason they choose. As irritating as it is not to be able to find any (and I haven't found flour in weeks), we really need to stop policing every little thing people do right now.

Youvebeenmuffled Mon 06-Apr-20 14:05:02

We’ve been making edible chocolate mud with flour for farm animals blush

The kids need something to do, toddler who eats everything so needs to be taste safe!

CuteOrangeElephant Mon 06-Apr-20 14:05:56

YANBU. Some of these recipes call for 500 grams. That's 2 cakes!!

HeffalumpsCantDance Mon 06-Apr-20 14:07:19

Play dough is actually an incredibly useful resource for developing the fine motor skills later used to hold pencils, draw, manage buttons and a whole range of other skills.
Reception children are often entering school without the motor control they would have had a decade ago, due to the changes in how they are occupied at home. It’s not just fun, squishy stuff. It has a significant role in their development.
So perhaps you could broaden your choice of carbohydrates, think about why the supply line has failed and stop guilting parents for doing something with their children that doesn’t involve a screen.

UnfinishedSymphon Mon 06-Apr-20 14:07:23

I agree with OP, I find it disgusting that people are wasting food in this way at any time, but especially now. Totally unacceptable.

Don't get me started on cake smashes.

Notabadger Mon 06-Apr-20 14:07:53

YANBU but once it's in someone's cupboard it's not like they're going to give it to someone else

CinderellasSecrets Mon 06-Apr-20 14:08:50

Where the hell are people even managing to find flour? I have no issues what people use it for but I am getting very fed up with how hard it is to find. I want to make my daughter a cake for her 1st birthday and I cant sad its already going to be a rubbish day. I also need it for making sauces for some of our dinners which is rather irritating.

HoneysuckIejasmine Mon 06-Apr-20 14:08:51

Yanbu. We bake our own bread because ds is intolerant to soya found in most commercial loaves. Can't get it now. DH and I have stopped eating bread altogether to try and keep out current stock going as long as possible. Very stressful. DS us really fussy and bread is a staple of his diet.

brachiosaurusdance Mon 06-Apr-20 14:09:06

What heffalumps said. Essential with two young toddlers stuck indoors in my opinion.

JockTamsonsBairns Mon 06-Apr-20 14:09:23

Making play dough has got absolutely nothing to do with the flour shortage in the shops.
For the main part, it's an issue with logistics. There is actually plenty of flour in the mills, but their production system is geared up to supply bakery factories and wholesalers, in huge sacks. Only 4% of their production line normally goes to supermarkets, in bags of usually 1.5kg. It's not straightforward to alter the production line to accommodate the supermarket, which is why we're seeing empty shelves.

HeffalumpsCantDance Mon 06-Apr-20 14:10:28

Cake is a waste of flour, and play dough uses plain.
Most of us could do with fewer carbs in our diet, especially breads and pastry.

Wannabangbang Mon 06-Apr-20 14:11:18

Don't think you can argue when a toddler has not many means of joy at the moment. Atleast the flour is being used. What annoys me the most is people that have hoarded it and will probably never have use for it or bother giving it to someone who will.

HeffalumpsCantDance Mon 06-Apr-20 14:12:11

One batch of play dough lasts weeks.

SoupDragon Mon 06-Apr-20 14:12:47

Some people, like me, want to cook with it.

So, you want to use it once and this is somehow worthier than making something that can be used over and over and over again...?

MigginsMrs Mon 06-Apr-20 14:12:56

it is irrational I know but I’m pissed off with it as well. We bake loads and now can’t get flour because it’s either being hoarded or wasted by pricks. The next time some smug twat on fb shares a naff as fuck salt dough #makingmemories plaque of their kids’ hands I might not be responsible for my actions

Outtedagain Mon 06-Apr-20 14:13:07

Well now, I know people can use it for what they like, however it’s a waste of food.
Don’t get me started on people painting lentils and pasta. Grrr 😖

Abracad Mon 06-Apr-20 14:14:08

Oh get a life. Why is your desire to bake more important than someone else’s to entertain their child?

Outtedagain Mon 06-Apr-20 14:14:43

Soup dragon
Play dough will be full of germs and snot within 10 minutes flat. Not exactly the right time to encouraging germs.

Outtedagain Mon 06-Apr-20 14:15:26

Wow abracad , are you ok?

wibblewobblejiggle Mon 06-Apr-20 14:15:35

Again. For the thousandth time today. No.

No and No.

I want my children to enjoy their masses of time at home.

I don’t care what you want.
I am going to make the play dough.
And make handprint thingys.
And because I managed to get a shit tonne of pasta this week if I do want to use it for crafts I’ll do that as well.

SoupDragon Mon 06-Apr-20 14:15:58

Play dough will be full of germs and snot within 10 minutes flat. Not exactly the right time to encouraging germs.

No more gems or snot than the child playing with it.

maryberryslayers Mon 06-Apr-20 14:16:33

No, my toddler loves play dough just as much as you love bread and cake.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »