Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed at note through door asking us to clap

(253 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

tainot Sun 05-Apr-20 23:09:51

Seriously, surely everyone knows about the clapping at this point and would do it if they wanted to/could?

I don't need a note through my door to make me feel crappy for not taking part. I thought at first it was a note asking if anyone needs assistance/shopping etc but nope, just a passive aggressive note thanking everyone for taking part and if those that haven't could join in this week. Eff that.

Don't get me wrong I applaud the NHS and keyworkers and have the upmost respect for them but I'm not clapping for my own practical reasons (getting baby to sleep is hard work, I'm not going to clap/bang pots just to wake them up again).

I'm not sure if it's my own attitude thats the problem or I'm rightly annoyed at people trying to guilt trip us into clapping. I don't need that, I've donated money and food in the last couple of weeks, I go out as little as possible (rarely), I'm doing my bit.

Luzina Sun 05-Apr-20 23:12:28

Just ignore it. Really annoying I agree though

mmgirish Sun 05-Apr-20 23:13:35

Wow! Imagine having the check to write that note and put it through your door. I'm shocked that someone would do that.

NigellaAwesome Sun 05-Apr-20 23:13:46

Very pa

mmgirish Sun 05-Apr-20 23:14:00

*cheek

MT2017 Sun 05-Apr-20 23:14:09

It's virtue signalling. Ignore it if you want to wink

HeIsAVeryBadBoy Sun 05-Apr-20 23:14:34

Oh ffs. What is wrong with people?!

COVID-19 is really bringing out poor qualities in some people. Don't be cowed by it OP, these people are brainless bullies.

Scarletoharaseyebrows Sun 05-Apr-20 23:14:48

Some people aren't on SM and may not be watching as much news. Maybe it's for their benefit more than yours. So they don't feel even more isolated. Bin it and move on.

SteamingTheDoorKnobs Sun 05-Apr-20 23:15:33

When gestures like this become coerced they loose all meaning.

eeeyoresmiles Sun 05-Apr-20 23:15:48

Bin it, wash your hands and move on.

kitnkaboodle Sun 05-Apr-20 23:15:50

YANBU this clapping business is taking a sinister turn now

Pogmella Sun 05-Apr-20 23:16:04

Send one back asking ppl to stop posting unnecessary items which may be infected into the home of a vulnerable infant (or you know, ham it up...)

tainot Sun 05-Apr-20 23:18:02

eeyore I did just that but then wasn't sure if it was just me in a crappy mood sad

Thank you all for confirming, I will ignore!

bridgetreilly Sun 05-Apr-20 23:18:24

That would actually make me stop doing it. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

forkfun Sun 05-Apr-20 23:19:05

Don't give anyone the power to make you feel crappy with a note. Just ignore. People are weird. You don't need to justify or explain why you aren't a clapper.

Teacaketotty Sun 05-Apr-20 23:21:55

Honestly some people have turned something which was supposed to be nice into a competitive sport which has put a pretty sour spin on it. If this is honestly their main concern at this point I am jealous - I’m more concerned with paying my bills and keeping my family safe.

AmelieTaylor Sun 05-Apr-20 23:22:06

I’d be tempted to post it back asking which church you should attend, which group you should volunteer with, which knickers you should wear tomorrow and ask them what other decisions they feel they should be making about your life.

Jesus fucking wept - some people are bonkers!

bonnieclydesdale Sun 05-Apr-20 23:24:09

We had that on the last two Thursdays and now the one about reach for the stars, I'm not joining in as if I stand there screeching tunelessly the neighbours will start a mass exodus so it'd be counter productive.

ECBC Sun 05-Apr-20 23:29:31

God that’s horrific! Ignore and carry on about your business. 8pm is smack bang in the middle of bedtime for a lot of parents. No one should be making you feel bad for not clapping regardless.

Harakeke Sun 05-Apr-20 23:39:03

In Solzhenitsyn's book The Gulag Archipelago, he writes about how, during an 11 minute standing ovation one of Stalin's speeches the first person to stop clapping was imprisoned for 10 years.

Not sure why but this order to clap has brought this to mind!

Please ignore, OP. Your neighbour sounds petty.

MadameMeursault Sun 05-Apr-20 23:46:20

Oh God, it’s like those self-righteous people who judge others for forgetting to wear a poppy.

Put a big sign in your window saying “I show my appreciation for the NHS by never voting Tory”

morecoffeerequired Sun 05-Apr-20 23:46:48

We've all got enough to worry about without having to go outside and clap at the right time on the right day.

Fine if you want to, and also fine if you don't.

AutumnRose1 Sun 05-Apr-20 23:58:44

Put the note back saying “stop spreading disease and hysteria”.

SummerBreezemakesmefeelfine Sun 05-Apr-20 23:59:50

YANBU. All this clapping is nonsense. Many NHS staff would rather people emailed their MP asking for a decent batch of PPE.

Twinkle1208 Mon 06-Apr-20 00:00:32

Think you’re being abit dramatic. 1 minute out of your day once a week to show appreciation for nhs staff saving lives while putting their own at risk. Was probably a gentle reminder for those who wish to join in, its nice to have a sense of community back dont take it to heart.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »