Talk

Advanced search

to remind you that we are actually allowed outside?

(397 Posts)
Pishposhpashy Sat 04-Apr-20 23:25:00

I am following social distancing guidelines.

I am not seeing friends or family.

I am getting nearly all my food delivered online.

I am going out once a day for my allowed daily exercise. Yes, to my local park, because I live in London, in a flat with a 4 year old and no garden.

I am constantly seeing threads on here berating "idiots" for "flocking" to parks and suchlike. But the thing is, if I go to the park for my walk, and see other people there - they aren't "idiots", they are people doing the same thing I'm doing - their ALLOWED daily exercise!

I mean, if you have a garden, bully for you. But I don't, we are allowed out, and I will continue to take my son for a walk in the fresh air once a day.

MummyNeedsWineNow Sat 04-Apr-20 23:29:22

Completely agree OP. I was just saying this to DH earlier.

On the one hand, people are told they can go out and exercise, but on the other there is mass criticism of people being out exercising.

I'm fortunate to live in a quiet village. But if you live in London (where many many do), in a flat, then where else are you meant to exercise if not the local green space? I'm hardly surprised London parks are full.of joggers, walkers etc... If the government has told everyone they can go for a jog or a walk...

JaceLancs Sat 04-Apr-20 23:30:46

Lots of media hype
Do what you feel is right
I combined my daily exercise with a walk to Post office and local supermarket
Tomorrow I’m meeting my DD in a supermarket car park - we will stay 2m apart
She is NHS frontline and needs to shop
I need to buy food I couldn’t get today (different supermarket) I also want not need to see her and it’s my birthday
Judge all you like

UnfinishedSymphon Sat 04-Apr-20 23:30:51

As long as you are keeping your distance you are fine, lots don't though, you only have to look at he news sites today

Pishposhpashy Sat 04-Apr-20 23:31:13

Literally everyone in the park today was being considerate and doing their best to keep their distance. But a lot of us live here, including multiple families in high rise flats. Are we honestly meant to deny our children fresh air for 12 weeks?

Pishposhpashy Sat 04-Apr-20 23:32:15

And if I am walking down a narrow street, so narrow that cars are parked on the pavement, as many are round here, and someone is coming in the opposite direction, what am I meant to do? Short of stepping into the road, which I frequently do?

alibongo5 Sat 04-Apr-20 23:33:32

I saw pictures of people "flocking" to Brighton. There was hardly anyone in the pictures.

YouTheCat Sat 04-Apr-20 23:34:00

But it's not the individuals anyone has a problem with. It's the group meet ups which are happening in parks and beaches etc. That's the problem - people who don't live together meeting up, not socially distancing and being generally irresponsible.

We have a lovely area of parkland across the road and are avoiding it like the plague because it is packed with people who are driving there in large numbers and not being respectful of distancing at all. So we wander a few streets away for our exercise, where the posh houses are and have a gawp instead.

Palavah Sat 04-Apr-20 23:35:34

YANBU - I got abuse today from a neighbour for sitting in the garden, alone.

Sparklingbrook Sat 04-Apr-20 23:35:39

I think you have to weigh up the risks, and decide for yourself. You could take every precaution imaginable to protect yourself, but someone could easily get within 2 metres of you when you are out and cough and sneeze over you without warning.

It's like being the safest driver ever but that doesn't account for numpties on the road who might drive into you.

PaddingtonStation Sat 04-Apr-20 23:35:51

My local FB page is currently full of photos people have taken while out and about of other people who are also out and about.

Namechangedforthisreply7 Sat 04-Apr-20 23:35:58

Good fir you OP. I completely agree. It’s easy fir those of us with gardens to sit In Judgement from the patio. I think it was the congregating and crowds that drew negative press/police attention. I’m guessing if the park were that crowded you’d change your time or go in a different direction? That’s the key- if we go left out of our road at 9am we see no one but if we go the other way it’s busy. So we go left and avoid the potential for crowding/congregating accidentally by way of those crowds. Are your parks very busy when you go? If not, great. If yes, adjust your time or your destination. But not the actuality of going out. With a little one it’s the most important thing you’ll do all day, for both of you.

Pishposhpashy Sat 04-Apr-20 23:36:32

I haven't seen any groups at all in my local area. And from most of the pictures I've seen in the media, I don't know how you would be able to tell they were groups meeting up on purpose rather than people who happened to walk less than 2m apart because lots of them happened to be outdoors at the same time.

katienana Sat 04-Apr-20 23:37:12

It's fine. I have a garden and go to my local park every day. There's never anyone there. It keeps me and my kids sane (they dont go on the playground) and I don't let them touch any gates or traffic light buttons.

Namechangedforthisreply7 Sat 04-Apr-20 23:37:47

Palavah - say what?? What was her issue?!

LittleMissBrainy Sat 04-Apr-20 23:40:10

I was having this same conversation earlier. I am sure that most of the people going out are not 'selfish' ignorant' or 'twats' they're just going about their daily business and exercise. Sadly most people's exercise has been curtailed so there is a huge increase in the number of walkers and cyclists. These people have to go somewhere and if there's somewhere nice to go, that's where they're going to pick. At times this will bottle neck so it will look like the parks & green areas are crowded. The only way to stop it will be to close the parks, but it won't be because people are selfish, just that they want somewhere to walk other than the street.

SaigonSaigon Sat 04-Apr-20 23:40:19

@Sparklingbrook

Spot on.

Angel2702 Sat 04-Apr-20 23:41:10

I think the issues is the people spending the day in the park, sitting eating picnics, sunbathing, meeting others that are the issues and people going to popular touristy spots rather than their nearest park.

If you are just walking in the park that’s fine.

GatoradeMeBitch Sat 04-Apr-20 23:41:30

I know we are allowed, but I have a small garden to sit in, and I don't need to have a break from my family, so I'm only leaving the house if I absolutely have to. And I think others should do the same.

It's annoying seeing my aunts on facebook talking about where they're having their "daily exercise" when one of them would only leave the house once or twice a week before this! Some people are taking this thing of daily exercise like it's a command they must fulfill...

Andromeida59 Sat 04-Apr-20 23:43:30

I will be going for a daily walk as soon as I'm well enough. I can't wait to get outside. Mental health is just as important as physical health. As long as you take precautions (not getting in the car for a 3 hour journey) and stay away from others. Enjoy yourself. X

mochajoes Sat 04-Apr-20 23:44:00

* My local FB page is currently full of photos people have taken while out and about of other people who are also out and about.*

You couldn't make it up ☺️🤣

Namechangedforthisreply7 Sat 04-Apr-20 23:45:05

Daily exercise is important esp to kids. The fitter you are, the better you can fight off illness. People who won’t go out at all are going to go bonkers if this goes on all summer. Be sensible, sure, but refusing to leave the house isn’t healthy either.

PickAChew Sat 04-Apr-20 23:45:35

Gatorade how much exercise do you get while sitting in your garden.

Being outdoors is not exercise.

Pishposhpashy Sat 04-Apr-20 23:46:19

If I had a garden at the moment I'd probably just choose to use that to be honest, as I'd want to use the space for people without them.

AngeloMysterioso Sat 04-Apr-20 23:48:31

YANBU Luckily DH and I moved in December and now we have a small patio to ourselves, a lawn area next to it that is communal to the other flats in the house but nobody really seems to use it, and I’ve just taken an allotment plot at the site directly over the road from my home, so access to outside space isn’t a problem for us. However, I’m trying to imagine what life would be like if we were still living in our old flat in London... it’s a new build with entirely south facing floor to ceiling windows so it gets way above 30° when the sun shines. The windows are all on one side so there is no way of getting a draught, and if you open them your flat will soon stink of the cigarette and weed smoke that comes up from the flats below. There is a small balcony but if you go out there you’re treated to the delightful sound of at least a dozen kids competing to see who can scream the loudest (I very much doubt their parents give a fuck about social distancing), and several of the neighbours blowing yet more cigarette and weed smoke straight up at you. I genuinely feel sorry for the poor bugger that bought that place from us. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that if we were still living there during all this my mental health would fall off a cliff, so I would have to go out walking to save my sanity.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »