Talk

Advanced search

To ask how much money you have saved since lockdown?

(569 Posts)
Cheapprimarkbra Fri 03-Apr-20 07:43:04

... Compared to same 12 days of the previous month (23rd - 3rd)? Not including the usual bills, subscriptions/direct debits and mortgage/rent, have you noticed a massive change your outgoings?

I am a self employed freelancer (as is DP) and we both rent, so definitely not an enviable position.
Between 22nd Feb and 3rd March, I just worked out that I alone spent roughly £384 on train tickets, clothes, coffees, online orders, meals out and takeaways. This same 12 days I have spent £78 (just food, essential office supplies and a cheeky lottery ticket), so that means my savings total up to about £306 in TWELVE days! I feel almost ashamed at how easily I would throw money away, and will definitely reflect on this whenever I go to buy something that I don't necessarily need in future.

It will be interesting to hear other peoples' savings stories!

megletthesecond Fri 03-Apr-20 07:45:23

No after school club, saved £35 a week.
No holiday club over Easter, £150 saved.

I expect it'll go on increased water bills for washing and laundry.

Singlebutmarried Fri 03-Apr-20 07:46:09

At least £400 from not going to the pub alone. Also one takeaway only
In the last 3 weeks.

WatchingFromTheWings Fri 03-Apr-20 07:48:55

I've saved loads in petrol, Afterschool club and picking up food and snacks in work. Also bought less treats as I can't pop out every time I fancy something. Probably saved around £200 over the 2 weeks. I've also done less in the way of internet shopping. So likely spent a lot less than I normally would. Been using that money to reduce a couple of credit cards.

SuperMeerkat Fri 03-Apr-20 07:49:25

About £1000 so far 💖🥳

Potentialmadcatlady Fri 03-Apr-20 07:50:36

None. My food bills have gone up massively...

Petiolaris Fri 03-Apr-20 07:51:52

I’ve spent more because I’m having to shop at expensive stores like Tesco that deliver instead of cheap stores like Aldi that don’t.

MinnieMountain Fri 03-Apr-20 07:51:59

No gym membership for the 3 of us.
DH used to commute twice a week by train and buy lunch at work.
No random food purchases.

Cheerbear23 Fri 03-Apr-20 07:52:38

I’m saving approx £300 pm on after school club, coffee and petrol. Not bought any clothes either, but I wouldn’t spend loads on that.
I’m spending much more than usual on heating and electricity though.

speakout Fri 03-Apr-20 07:52:51

I have spent more.

I don't commute ir have childcare costs- but I have spent a lot more of food- having to bu what is available, I normally shop for bargains.

VictoriaBun Fri 03-Apr-20 07:52:55

Not doing day to day spending. But much worrying about 25% off both our pension pots🙁

SushiGo Fri 03-Apr-20 07:53:15

We are saving on petrol and childcare.

But we had to buy kit for home working and schooling and more food. Don't think it's evened out yet!

PristineCondition Fri 03-Apr-20 07:53:21

None, foods gone up
Plus two job losses in the house hold and one at 80%
We will be lucky to still have power by may let alone food

DysonFury Fri 03-Apr-20 07:53:25

Awaiting a refund for our Easter holiday in Wales £620. About £300 on top of that.

Jimdandy Fri 03-Apr-20 07:53:37

I’ve saved a tank of fuel a week that’s £80 but I’ve been furloughed so it’s swings and roundabouts.

Loads as no internet shopping boredom spending in shops etc. But my food bill has massively increased

Xmasbaby11 Fri 03-Apr-20 07:53:51

Nothing I don't think. Commuting costs are almost nothing and we're still paying for childcare. Probably saving a bit on cafe lunches but then spending more on supermarket.

Also bought an ipad as we don't have enough devices to share.

user1483387154 Fri 03-Apr-20 07:54:24

spent a hell of a lot more. Craft stuff and toys to entertain my toddler. More food for both of us. We usually wat at school and KG.

needsahouseboy Fri 03-Apr-20 07:54:55

None as I've had to spend money to put my son in after school clubs so I can stay in work as my mum is 70 and she usually looks after him.
I'm a single parent and don't get to go out as he does not see his father at all, so no change there.
So all in I'm about £120 a month worse off. I was already skint to begin with grin

LakieLady Fri 03-Apr-20 07:56:43

A fair bit, we're not going anywhere so no petrol to speak of, no lunches at work, beers after work, eating out or takeaways. And I'm not walking past shops, seeing something nice in the window and coming out £100 poorer!

But our heating bill and leccy will have gone up and the amount of tea and coffee we're getting through is colossal. I got mine free at work!

TheoriginalLEM Fri 03-Apr-20 07:56:44

Not as much as I have lost in wages and DP is self employed and hasn't had any work since begining of March. We spend hardly anything anyway and our food shop has doubled because its impossible to buy anything economically because stockpilers have hoarded it all for themselves. Likely to be refused mortgage holiday and if this goes on for too long, likely to lose our house.

Waiting for furlough to = redundancy
So no, I'm not saving anything just busy watching my life fall apart around my ears.

Trying to be positive, failing, smug threads don't help

PatchworkElmer Fri 03-Apr-20 07:57:03

£100 a month on gym membership for the 2 of us.
£40 on an exercise class for me.
£125 in nursery fees.
£28 on swimming lessons for DS.

Savings have been wiped out by bigger food bills, and (probably) electricity and gas for more heating, cooling, lighting, washing...

Zampa Fri 03-Apr-20 07:57:54

DP has had a paycut but with no gym fees, nursery fees or wraparound care, we're actually better off.

I'm also getting a train season ticket refund and a refund on our Easter holiday.

Spending more in the supermarket but guessing this is off set in part by not buying Pret sandwiches!

Dreading the gas bill though.

Sexnotgender Fri 03-Apr-20 07:58:15

Food has gone up massively but saving £750 a month on nursery fees.

Also saving on eating out which must be over £100 a month.

Lalala89 Fri 03-Apr-20 08:00:36

-700 a week. From Nz where my husband is asole trader, and I run a company. My pay packet has cut in half - $300 less than what I normally get. Husband is getting wage subsidy from govt of $580 per week. We have all our normal Bill's, mortgage etc plus all the business outgoings that still need to be paid even tho there is no earning. The business is taking a big hit. I am very worried about the future.

Stronger76 Fri 03-Apr-20 08:01:14

I'm about £200 up on last month. No fuel, no CBA cooking tonight Macdonalds/KFC/takeaway, no school meals (we all have breakfast and lunch at various schools, and I've requested a refund), no last minute what do you fancy for tea trips to the supermarket.

I'm trying to reduce my overdraft and was economising anyway, hopefully I'll be cleared by June payday. I appreciate that I'm fortunate in wfh and still getting full pay

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »