Talk

Advanced search

Children playing in garden

(261 Posts)
SMarie123 Thu 02-Apr-20 20:05:52

My neighbours have an electrical cable running along the wall between our two houses. I have a 4 year old and a 2 year year old, we are in Ireland so we have been home for 3 weeks already.

My husband is a front of line healthcare worker and is doing 13 hour days every day (including long days from home at weekends) I am supposed to be working but really I am minding kids... thank god for nice bosses. anyway yesterday I was on conference calls and I put them in the garden. There was no drama specifically, but I could tell I was causing the neighbours annoyance (they are retired and like to spend time in the garden. The man is always doing gardening and they watch him as they are home in the day just now).

Anyway the lady complained that the 4 year old pulled the wire (didn't break it or anything). She said she was concerned for his safety.., in the grand scheme of things it is just such a petty point but she went on and on.... Now I feel like I can't put them in the garden which is super annoying. He hasn't gone near the wire again but it was such a dramatic reaction.

I am torn between bringing round a card to apologise and just being indignant. Longer term I don't think it pays to fall out with your neighbours.

BrooHaHa Thu 02-Apr-20 20:10:47

Just tell him not to touch the wire again? Surely it's actually mounted to the wall rather than just lying loose on top of it?

LittleLittleLittle Thu 02-Apr-20 20:11:26

Why is the cable there and not properly protected?

It shouldn't be in a place where children or animals can pull it and harm themselves on it.

And no I wouldn't send round a card.

underthepatio Thu 02-Apr-20 20:23:30

Your neighbours need to behave more responsibly. They should attach the electric cable to their side of the wall. Out of your children's reach,

SMarie123 Thu 02-Apr-20 20:24:34

I have told him not to pull the wire. Just it is so accessible unless I watch him constantly I can't guarantee he won't. I have a very secure small garden, it is their safe haven, I don't want to stop them going out but now I can't relax when they are out there.

I could hear the judgement in her voice that I don't monitor them the whole time they are outside but I do have to do some work!

I know that the wire should be in ducting and on their side of the boundary but it would be very easy to fall out with her... so at least if I clear the air I might be able to relax.

Nicknacky Thu 02-Apr-20 20:26:32

You have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. You need to supervise them in the garden.

EL8888 Thu 02-Apr-20 20:28:01

Neighbours need to sort the wire. It’s their wire?!

SMarie123 Thu 02-Apr-20 20:28:09

I can see them, our garden is very small. They are always looking over the wall which I know is annoying.

Do people not allow their kids in their gardens on their own?

Nicknacky Thu 02-Apr-20 20:29:40

Not at 2 years old I didn’t. And I’m a pretty relaxed parent.

Especially if I knew there was a hazard of a wire there.

Wewearpinkonwednesdays Thu 02-Apr-20 20:30:29

There shouldn't be a wire hanging inyour garden that doesn't belong to you. I would be pointing that out to them and telling them to move it or properly cover it.

SMarie123 Thu 02-Apr-20 20:31:27

Actually the 2 year old just plays in his sandpit, scooter. Really no drama there. I think if you knew where I was sitting and now small the garden was you would know what I mean... in France you would probably call it a terrace...

Boogiewoogietoo Thu 02-Apr-20 20:31:35

Electricity and young children is never a good combination, your neighbour was right to warn you. Can you imagine (God forbid) if there was an accident later down the line and your neighbour knew your DC was tampering with it and hadn’t told you.

Separately, I can understand that your neighbours don’t want to be watched by your DC when enjoying their garden. That would make me feel uncomfortable too. Can you tell you DC not to stare at the neighbours?

willowpatterns Thu 02-Apr-20 20:32:07

It should really be an armoured cable and ideally run underground.

SMarie123 Thu 02-Apr-20 20:32:14

The wire is clipped to the wall but not in the right way. The problem was he was touching it.

happinessischocolate Thu 02-Apr-20 20:32:56

How high is the fence that this wire us on? Must be low for your child to be able to reach it. I'd be asking the neighbours to move it.

And yes at 2 years and 4 years they need supervision in the garden.

Theresnobslikeshowb Thu 02-Apr-20 20:32:59

I didn’t at 2, and wouldn’t expect the 4 year to be making sure they are ok either. But it’s your call.

Bootikin Thu 02-Apr-20 20:33:05

The wire as it stands is illegal. The neighbours must sort this out. Also sorry, you need to supervise such very little children when in garden but equally they have every right to be in the garden. Your neighbours sound very tiresome indeed. Don’t bother with cards - you won’t placate them - just supervise the children but don’t be pressured into keeping them cooped up.

The neighbours really must sort out that wire!

Duchessofblandings Thu 02-Apr-20 20:33:44

Why is their cable in your garden?

DillyDilly Thu 02-Apr-20 20:34:23

I’d keep a close eye on your children if they are in the garden, they are still a little young to be out there by themselves unsupervised.

I’d also ensure they do not look/stare into you’re neighbours garden, it is bad manners.

Re the wire, you need to tell your neighbours it’s not safe and maybe they could tape it or do something to make it more secure and safer.

Khione Thu 02-Apr-20 20:35:23

Their wire is illegal - not just for your kids - it would be illegal if it was fully on their side.

Whilst trying not to fall out I would 'try' to point out that your children are allowed to play in your garden and ask what they are going to do to make the illegal cable safe?

Bootikin Thu 02-Apr-20 20:36:06

How low is the fence that a little toddler can gawp over it? The neighbour needs to raise the fence height to improve their privacy.

ShesGotBetteDavisEyes Thu 02-Apr-20 20:36:24

Sounds dangerous - could it be covered with something?

Darbs76 Thu 02-Apr-20 20:37:57

I wouldn’t be sending a card round. The wire needs to be secured. It could prove very dangerous so I wouldn’t leave them out unattended. The neighbours are going to have to cut you all some slack. Difficult times, sorry if their peace is ruined but it is for us all

Reginabambina Thu 02-Apr-20 20:37:59

Get a piece of pvc piping, cut it in half and secure over the wire. It would be a good idea to sort it regardless seeing as cars could easily get caught on it

CherryPavlova Thu 02-Apr-20 20:38:30

Unless the garden has a pond, is insecure or more than an acre they are fine to play outside. It’s good for them.

Electricity cable isn’t good for them. Ask your neighbours to get their cable sorted out to ensure it is safe.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »