Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to plan on having a BBQ

(440 Posts)
Numptydumptyfelloffthewall Thu 02-Apr-20 12:58:24

Hi,

I've seen such conflicting advice and information on this lockdown that I'm starting to doubt my own judgement. I've tried to follow the lockdown to the letter. DH and I are working full time from home and i've been out once since lockdown for food shopping. We have 2 DC (4, 6) who are home and havent been out, they run around in the garden for exercise.

I have some BBQ coal in the shed and was wondering if it would be unreasonable/ wrong for DH, me and the 2 DC to have a BBQ on Sunday when the weather is predicted to be a bit nicer. We wouldnt need to buy any supplies or meet anyone else and it would really brighten a very stressed and difficult week but I dont want to be disrespectful or undermine the lockdown, esp as I have family both on the shielding list and working in the NHS, so I really understand how important it is to delay the spread of Covid 19.

We're in a standard 1930s 3 bed semi so we have a nice sized garden but not huge. If we do go ahead, should we go in if our neighbours also come into their garden? Or set up at the bottom of the garden? I usually keep the kids inside during the actual cooking as DD4 is asthmatic but they find eating BBQ food outside to be a huge novelty/ treat.

Bienentrinkwasser Thu 02-Apr-20 12:59:53

I don’t understand why this would be a problem? You can do whatever you like in your own garden.

turnandfacethenamechange Thu 02-Apr-20 13:00:03

wondering if it would be unreasonable/ wrong for DH, me and the 2 DC to have a BBQ on Sunday

In your own garden? Why wouldn't you?

Marahute Thu 02-Apr-20 13:00:21

I may have missed something, but why on earth can't you have a BBQ?

hobnobsaremyfavourite Thu 02-Apr-20 13:00:53

We've cooked on our gas barbecue for just DH and dc's to use up food from the freezer and to enjoy the sunshine
No idea why it would be against the rules
But some puritanical competitive quarantiner mumsnetter will no doubt be along in a minute to tell me that my burnt bangers have infected the whole of humanity with Covid hmm

Stompythedinosaur Thu 02-Apr-20 13:00:54

We're planning to have a bbq this weekend using stuff we already have in the house. We've done a load of gardening this week and want to enjoy our work!

I can't see and reason we shouldn't.

Jazzybeats Thu 02-Apr-20 13:01:03

I’m doing exactly this on the weekend. What I do in my own garden is my own business.

Lycidas Thu 02-Apr-20 13:01:09

Go for it. When the idiots go flocking outside Sunday you’ll be seen as positively virtuous.

Weepingwillows12 Thu 02-Apr-20 13:01:10

I think that's fine. I dont think you need to come in if your neighbours are out. What are you worried about? Do you have low fences so will be within 2 metres if they cough?

Marahute Thu 02-Apr-20 13:01:20

Is this the Mumsnet "smelly food" batshit nonsense at play?

Pelleas Thu 02-Apr-20 13:01:36

There's no rule against using your garden with other members of your household so I can't see why, if you are using food and equipment you have in already rather than making a trip for supplies, there would be anything wrong with this. As long as you keep away from your boundaries you shouldn't breach the 2 metre rule with your neighbours.

Shoxfordian Thu 02-Apr-20 13:02:04

You can do what you want in your own garden

OldUnit Thu 02-Apr-20 13:02:04

It's only cooking- but outside. Why not!
As long as you don't extend an invite to all and sundry I can't see they'd object. I wouldn't!
Enjoying yourself isn't prohibited.

Nonnymum Thu 02-Apr-20 13:02:20

I don't think you should because BBqs let off a lot a fumes. Covid causes breathing problems so if anyone has it, it will make things worse. It will mean they can't hav e their windows open or use their gardens. I woukd cook inside and then take the food out to it. You can still enjoy the nice things about a bbq without sharing the smoke and fumes with your neighbours.

BelfryBat Thu 02-Apr-20 13:03:14

Unless you're planning to breathe over the fence at your neighbours, why wouldn't you?

Hannah021 Thu 02-Apr-20 13:03:25

you can have BBQ if you want, you can do whatever you want in your house!

We've never had BBQ because my father is very considerate to the neighbours as its not something you can contain. In this situation, many people would be outside in their gardens, and the smell of coal is something that would bother them... but that's just us being over sensitive towards our neighbours, we don't expect that from them

LittleMcJiggle Thu 02-Apr-20 13:03:38

No I don't think it's a problem at all. In your own garden with your live in family? What's the issue?

MatildaTheCat Thu 02-Apr-20 13:03:56

We are going to. I predict many bbqs and beers/ wine happening across the country on Sunday.

Out of interest, OP, why wouldn’t you feel able to do this?

Bluewavescrashing Thu 02-Apr-20 13:04:18

I have just ordered a bbq meat pack from the local butcher for this very purpose. DH is beside himself with excitement. He will only be bbq-ing for the 4 of us but doesn't care, it makes him happy so why not?

BigSandyBalls2015 Thu 02-Apr-20 13:04:39

Nothing wrong with that at all.

I had a chat over the fence with neighbours today and suggested we could raise a glass to each other over the fence on Sunday as weather due to be good. DH went one step further and said, oh they can come in as long as they stay 2 metres apart ….NO DH, they can't. What diff does it make, he says …… thinks I'm barking.

WorraLiberty Thu 02-Apr-20 13:06:30

If we do go ahead, should we go in if our neighbours also come into their garden?

What? And just leave your food to burn, are you serious? confused

Roussette Thu 02-Apr-20 13:06:32

Covid causes breathing problems so if anyone has it, it will make things worse. It will mean they can't hav e their windows open or use their gardens

Barbecues are banned now are they? In case your NDN has covid and the fumes might cause him to cough. I would think that would be the least of NDN's worries if he has the virus!

Ridiculous.

Of course. have one if you want. We have to make the most of simple pleasures with our families.

Bluntness100 Thu 02-Apr-20 13:08:32

Op, take a step back and think about this logically. Have you seen any guidance at all that you cannot use your garden, be it to play in, cook in, eat in or work in? Any?

And have you seen any guidance that says only alternate gardens can be used at any one time? That if one set of neighbours is out, the other set needs to go in?

Clearly you need to stay six feet away from your neighbours, past that, like your house, you can do as you please in your garden. The risk is not higher having a bbq than out there playing with your kids.

Applejaxx Thu 02-Apr-20 13:08:41

I went for a walk over the weekend when it was dry and warm and someone was clearly having a barbecue in one garden I passed. Didn’t even enter my head to question it! It wasn’t noisy so obviously not a ‘gathering’, clearly someone who just fancied a barbecue for their tea.

chicken2015 Thu 02-Apr-20 13:09:13

We r having a bbq on sunday, possibly putting up the tent and having a 'camping day' not overnight as children r too small!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »