Talk

Advanced search

To have asked DS’s school to stop calling us?

(188 Posts)
Syncrows Thu 02-Apr-20 09:19:44

I was very polite but they keep calling and to be honest it’s a little irritating.

I requested the other day and said I’d call if we needed anything but still the daily phone calls continue - AIBU?

Joliany Thu 02-Apr-20 09:20:31

What are they calling for?

Appuskidu Thu 02-Apr-20 09:20:52

Are they phoning everyone in the school daily? Or does your child have an EHC plan/social worker?

UnfinishedSymphon Thu 02-Apr-20 09:20:55

bit more info needed!

TheVanguardSix Thu 02-Apr-20 09:21:05

How old is DS and why are they calling?

Sirzy Thu 02-Apr-20 09:21:21

Schools can’t do right for doing wrong at the moment.

user1471530109 Thu 02-Apr-20 09:21:22

Depends why they are calling? There is likely a reason you haven't said in your op.

Syncrows Thu 02-Apr-20 09:24:43

Ds is 13 (year 8)

They are ringing up to check he’s done the work set.

No EHCP. Top sets for everything.

HoneysuckIejasmine Thu 02-Apr-20 09:26:21

Pity those poor teachers having to make that many phone calls, the majority of which will be received as you are and some with outright hostility.

OneEpisode Thu 02-Apr-20 09:26:46

The work set? My 13 year old is doing online work so they know she’s done it. She is also photographing art, design etc and sending the image in.

Sirzy Thu 02-Apr-20 09:26:53

Is he communicating the work done back to school?

Don’t forget teachers normally spend their entire working day in contact with the pupils checking they are doing and understanding the work so is them doing a phone call a day to check really that bad?

Badassmama Thu 02-Apr-20 09:27:15

This sounds like his teachers are going above and beyond to ensure your son and his peers stay on track despite this interruption. The children who have such dedicated teachers, will likely do better and have better career prospects than those who don’t.

why12345 Thu 02-Apr-20 09:27:26

On behalf of all teachers out there. Schools have a safeguarding legislation in place to insure all children are called and spoken to at least once a fortnight. Children that are vulnerable E.g EHCP are spoken to twice a week. So thank your school for following government guidelines and putting themselves at risk by going into schools daily to safeguard all children.

Mamato2gorgeousboys Thu 02-Apr-20 09:27:37

No, Yanbu. Just explain that it’s a challenging time at the minute and you’re doing your best to stay on top of dc. Tell them you appreciate them taking the time to contact you but If there is anything urgent, to contact you via email. The teachers have most probably be told to ring and are about as keen to do it as you are to get their calls.

Littlebluebird123 Thu 02-Apr-20 09:28:34

I'd imagine they're calling because he isn't doing the work. Is he emailing/in contact online?
You're not unreasonable to ask them to stop, but it's likely they have been directed to call if no contact has been made.
They're trying to make sure that children are ok. I know it seems like a pain but I would imagine they're trying to be supportive

Syncrows Thu 02-Apr-20 09:29:36

I’m not hostile in the slightest honey, I was really polite and at first I said that please don’t trouble yourselves, you’ve enough on. Then when they kept coming I explained it was not needed.

sirzy the problem is I am the one who takes the phone call, so it stops me working. So yes it is that bad.

why12345 Thu 02-Apr-20 09:29:34

Also it's nothing to do with work! It's to make sure children and happy and SAFE!

PicaK Thu 02-Apr-20 09:30:24

Gosh that's so irritating of them. Making themselves available in case of queries and checking in on how their students sound. So very irritating for you.
You're quite right they should be sat near a phone waiting for you to contact them at their convenience. Never mind the school probably only has 2 lines in and out. And they're using their home phone with caller withheld.
As you can tell I think you are being incredibly ungrateful. And not thinking through the practicalities of how you would contact them. They have a duty of care and they are meeting it. You are being very selfish

Sirzy Thu 02-Apr-20 09:30:41

Well then say to them “I will just get him and you can talk to him”

You might not think it’s needed but they obviously do

JRUIN Thu 02-Apr-20 09:31:09

You are getting daily calls OP? Really? I'd be very surprised if teachers have the time to call every single pupil every single day. Do you think the school might have concerns about your child for some reason?

Dishwashersaurous Thu 02-Apr-20 09:31:28

How does a one minute call to check on your child welfare really impact your whole day.

The school clearly are really trying to ensure that children still feel connected and are ok

Spacerader Thu 02-Apr-20 09:31:51

I would find daily phone calls annoying to be honest. I dont even speak to my family daily.

Weekly if there are no issues would be enough.

Schools vary so much, my childrens school emailed out tellingvoarents not to stress, the work they set is not the most important thing right now. To do some, but it is not and will not be a reflection of grades going forward, and it is more important that families talk, feel safe and dont stress. It's such a refreshing message.

Although, the teachers probably have to call you daily, maybe try an email to the head to see if they can change to weekly.

WidowTwonky Thu 02-Apr-20 09:32:47

I would stop answering the calls. I would get annoyed being interrupted every day for that phone call too

CuriousaboutSamphire Thu 02-Apr-20 09:36:36

The more you protest the more they will ring. You may be accidentally setting yourself up as a household to watch!

livingthegoodlife Thu 02-Apr-20 09:36:43

Weekly and fortnightly here. Which is fine. I would find daily too much!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »