Talk

Advanced search

To rant about a customer complaint?

(116 Posts)
Superlooper Wed 01-Apr-20 18:22:31

Just need to get this off my chest angry

Frontline essential staff who are still working, serving customers when the rest of the country (non essential workers) are told to stay home and stay safe and getting paid to do so in many cases. Meanwhile many frontline staff are stressed and worried and have to keep working.

So this customer puts in a complaint that the person who served her didn't serve her with a smile.

AIBU to be mad with this customer?

(I will hopefully calm down before I respond)

Thehop Wed 01-Apr-20 18:23:36

I’d struggle not to say

“It’s hard to keep smiling when you’re risking your life to serve people. Let’s hope we all have something to smile about soon”

PaulinePetrovaPosey Wed 01-Apr-20 18:23:56

YANBU at all (assuming that the staff member was passably polite)

Newernewist Wed 01-Apr-20 18:24:19

My response would be fuck off, and i used to work in escalated customer complaint revolving

What actually is the wording of her complaint????

SharpieInThe Wed 01-Apr-20 18:25:02

The complainer should be beaten with sticks.

lexi873 Wed 01-Apr-20 18:25:30

What a self serving twat. Yanbu

TreeTopTim Wed 01-Apr-20 18:26:23

YANBU. It is hard enough at the best of times to constantly have a smile on your face. Who did they complain to and what did that person say about it? I do hope that they will back up their colleague.

Bargebill19 Wed 01-Apr-20 18:29:08

I feel your pain we had this today at work - my answer was “if that’s all your worrying about is a workers smile- then you and I live on different planets right now”
Our staff member did her job excellently - right now is not the time to complain about her smile or lack of.

AwrightDoreenTakeAFuckinDayOff Wed 01-Apr-20 18:31:35

Tell them due to covid19 you have forbidden all staff to smile at arseholes.

Job done grin

Fimofriend Wed 01-Apr-20 18:32:48

notalwaysright.com

HeartyGreenSalad Wed 01-Apr-20 18:34:25

I would hope that the person they complained to put them politely in their place
Some people just don't think

Potionqueen Wed 01-Apr-20 18:34:30

Customer was an idiot, a self obsessed idiot.

Sparklingbrook Wed 01-Apr-20 18:35:36

How much longer can people that work in food retail keep smiling? sad

Undies1990 Wed 01-Apr-20 18:38:18

YANBU

The customer is an absolute knob and deserves to be told so.

Giganticshark Wed 01-Apr-20 18:38:31

Today me and my colleagues were scolded by an elderly lady for being too loud and it wasn't lady like of us. Fuck her. We were having a laugh, trying to keep supermarket staff morale up

Lllot5 Wed 01-Apr-20 18:40:22

Tell her you’re smiling under your masks.

Pelleas Wed 01-Apr-20 18:43:04

YADefinitelyNBU. Perhaps she'd like the staff to put on an impromptu cabaret to cheer her up, or serve a virus-ridden buffet to all comers?

countrygirl99 Wed 01-Apr-20 18:43:49

Part of my job is to review net promoter scores after we make changes in a branch. Some of the comments have us in stitches, like the one who gave a zero score because they didn't realise on street parking was pay and display so they got a ticket or the one who complained the member of staff who served them looked tired, or the person in front of them in the queue had BO.

DontDribbleOnTheCarpet Wed 01-Apr-20 18:48:07

Dear Customer, Thank you for your message.
Many thanks for bringing this matter to our attention, we will be able to address it properly once the current crisis has passed and our staff are no longer at physical risk by being in work. At present I'm afraid there are insufficient staff to deal with any but the most pressing issues.
Kind regards,
etc

I have sent a few messages similar to this recently. Mostly to people whose entirely optional stuff is delayed by huge numbers of posties being either sick or self isolating. I enjoy typing "Thank you for your message" because I know it really means "kindly fuck off"!

AutumnRose1 Wed 01-Apr-20 18:52:28

I think it’s awful

It would be good if retailers put out a statement saying “ we won’t answer these queries”.

In ordinary circumstances, I don’t think shop staff should have to smile

My favourite guy at the local never smiles but one day - before this - he seemed down, so I said “all right?” And he said “yeah, but I think I might still be hungover from the weekend”. That kind of thing shows real community, IMHO 😂

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Wed 01-Apr-20 18:55:32

Would I care if the person in a shop didn’t smile at me, at the moment?

Yes, but only because I would be making even more of an effort than usual, to make them feel appreciated for the work they do, and I would feel I had not managed to give them something to smile at.

EatingIsMyHobby Wed 01-Apr-20 18:58:35

The first thing I do these days when I go up to a till to be served is ask the cashier how they are. One poor lady on a till in a supermarket yesterday said she has been on the verge of walking out for the past two weeks, mainly because members of the public keep having a go at her due to lack of loo roll and pasta!

YANBU, OP

Ohtherewearethen Wed 01-Apr-20 19:01:48

Good grief. People never cease to amaze me. Maybe respond with something like,

Thank you for taking the time to comment upon the lack of smile from one of our dedicated, hard working and exhausted staff members. I'm sure you're aware that there is a global deadly virus pandemic at the moment, the like of which had never been seen in our lifetime. It prays on everybody's mind that they are at risk every time they leave the house. It has been a pretty joyless and thankless task working in supermarkets at the moment and some staff members have even been sworn at by members of the public whilst they are trying to keep things going for everybody. I will be certain to pass on your concern for our staff member's lack of smile and that you hope they have a better day and customers will help them raise a smile tomorrow by showing their gratitude for all their hard work.

iklboo Wed 01-Apr-20 19:02:04

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. However after careful consideration of your concerns we do not feel it necessary to speak to or take further action against our colleague. I am sure you will appreciate this is a difficult time for everybody, especially our front line staff who are working hard to ensure your lives are disrupted as little as possible.

Now go fuck yourself with a loofah you sad, petty, pathetic twat.

OK - maybe not the last sentence. grin

TerrorWig Wed 01-Apr-20 19:06:32

The only possible response here is:

Thanks for the feedback.

Nothing else. The complainer does not deserve anything even approaching an apology.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »