Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone seen what's going on on India?

(213 Posts)
twinkletits99 Wed 01-Apr-20 15:42:18

I've just seen some of the footage and am reduced to tears. People bring beaten in the streets. Migrants being forced to bathe in disinfectant spray. People breaking down because they fear they are going to starve to death before coronavirus has a chance to take them. I'm quarter Indian and whilst I have no real connection to India other than that, I couldn't help but feel utterly hopeless for them.

twinkletits99 Wed 01-Apr-20 15:42:44

In India not on India

Brooksey5 Wed 01-Apr-20 15:44:05

Do you have any links OP? Not doubting that it’s happening I just haven’t seen it in the news. Sounds pretty horrific confused

twinkletits99 Wed 01-Apr-20 15:46:56

https://youtu.be/VdDGUvLoJvI

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 01-Apr-20 15:47:20

The scenes of crowds having to walk home for miles and carrying the virus with them. I am really horrified for the people of India.

twinkletits99 Wed 01-Apr-20 15:48:40

https://youtu.be/nchRqzcDVzU

twinkletits99 Wed 01-Apr-20 15:48:59

It's absolutely horrifying

ADreamOfGood Wed 01-Apr-20 15:49:27

There was a report in the guardian this morning about how police/military are treating people around the world. Some shocking stories, perhaps unsurprisingly.
Sometimes we don't know how lucky we are.

Merename Wed 01-Apr-20 15:51:40

Yes I was watching footage yesterday of people scrambling to get out of Delhi in massive crowds. Feels like the makings of a humanitarian disaster sad

ScrapThatThen Wed 01-Apr-20 15:51:43

So rarely do we all face the same enemy at the same time.

Harpingon Wed 01-Apr-20 15:52:39

It's incredibly sad. The people who are day workers have literally no money and have had to go back to their villages, I hope their government is going to do something to help them.

Littleposh Wed 01-Apr-20 15:53:51

It's been on the news channel France 24 for days, shocking how the British media don't mention the truth on our news!!

AlexaCrowe Wed 01-Apr-20 15:53:55

As cold as this will make me sound - for some people catching the virus won’t be anywhere near the worst thing that happens to them during this crisis. I know it’s terrible and people who catch it are dying but I honestly think it’s true.

ADreamOfGood Wed 01-Apr-20 15:54:01

Isn't India the nation with the largest inequalities on earth?

BeetrootRocks Wed 01-Apr-20 15:54:32

A lot of countries the ordinary people will have two 'enemies', the virus and the army/police.

Already some countries are using this to enact laws to let them control the population) be dictators (even more than they were before).

The amount of people in UK who seem really keen on harsh enforcement of things that aren't against the law, and shopping their neighbours, is really eye opening and worrying.

VaggieMight Wed 01-Apr-20 15:54:50

It's horrific. The city migrant workers have no choice but to return to their villages as there's no financial assistance. They're travelling home in huge crowds, the virus will surely spread rapidly. When they return home they are treated badly and sprayed with disinfectant. Anyone who breaks the curfew laws are punished in the streets in groups stood closely together. The citizens of India are going to suffer terribly.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 01-Apr-20 15:55:32

So rarely do we all face the same enemy at the same time.

Same enemy. Vastly different weapons.

EL8888 Wed 01-Apr-20 15:55:50

I wasn’t aware of this shock

@ADreamOfGood exactly and people complain about the restrictions here?!

twinkletits99 Wed 01-Apr-20 15:55:55

It doesn't bear thinking about 😥

MarshaBradyo Wed 01-Apr-20 15:55:58

It is so awful

20wedding19 Wed 01-Apr-20 15:56:29

I have seen it all, it is absolutely horrible. I'm British but spent a lot of time in India when I was 19/20 - I'm also one married to a man from a different country but just as deprived as India is (obviously I know India has s booming Bollywood industry etc but the divide between rich and poor there are HUGE)
All I can say is I know this Government isnt perfect but my husband is from a country where the government is soooo corrupt and the Indian Government clearly dont care about their poorest citizens. It makes me thankful we are in a country where the Government is accountable

All I hope is that the news footage of what is happening in India is widely spread and will effect change

Frothybothie Wed 01-Apr-20 15:56:34

And people here bleat police brutality if they are drone filmed or asked what they are doing?

twinkletits99 Wed 01-Apr-20 15:56:34

I was only aware of it because I sought it out. Very little press coverage of it here in the UK.

MarshaBradyo Wed 01-Apr-20 15:56:37

Yes we seem pretty pampered in comparison when you get threads upset about Easter Eggs.

Pulppixies Wed 01-Apr-20 15:56:43

Try looking at what’s happening in China. Instead of sticks, it’s guns

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »