Talk

Advanced search

To think not allowing 'small shops' is silly?

(222 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Marieo Mon 30-Mar-20 18:48:44

Popped to the shop earlier to get bread, milk, eggs and a few bits of fruit, I can manage on this for a week as have some Brexit supplies in the cupboard, so working my way through that and not buying more than we need for the week. I was told that the new directive is that no one can do a 'small shop', and ended up having to get a small trolly load of stuff which is ridiculous. I'd already been queuing to get in for a while and don't have a car so would have had to get a bus to another shop. I know I could have survived without them, but as I was already there seems stupid.

AIBU to think that this is a stupid policy, and completely goes against stockpiling for some? Also with the restrictions on tins etc you end up either buying crap you don't need, or going elsewhere which means you will have made 2 journeys to 2 shops for a few items. Not forgetting those who live hand to mouth and cannot afford a big shop. I get the idea, that it 'forces' people to buy more and so go shopping less, but as it doesn't seem much common sense is being applied to it; do we think it should be rolled out everywhere?

Toothsil Mon 30-Mar-20 18:51:06

That really is ridiculous, was it one of the main supermarkets? They're probably trying to stop people nipping in every day for one or two things but this isn't the answer.

Glittercandle Mon 30-Mar-20 18:51:18

That is a crazy rule - which shop was that?

livingthegoodlife Mon 30-Mar-20 18:52:05

Who told you this?

tiredanddangerous Mon 30-Mar-20 18:53:13

Completely daft! How’s that going to help the stock situation if people are being made to buy stuff they don’t need?!

FlibbertyGiblets Mon 30-Mar-20 18:53:37

That is strange.

Reginabambina Mon 30-Mar-20 18:53:38

Is this a supermarket that has had stupidly long cues?

HugoSpritz Mon 30-Mar-20 18:53:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Reginabambina Mon 30-Mar-20 18:53:52

*queues

Marieo Mon 30-Mar-20 18:54:00

One of the big ones, starts with A and it isn't Asda. Security on the door said it was 'the law', and people were actually being turned away at the tills with little shops.

FlibbertyGiblets Mon 30-Mar-20 18:54:33

<imagines snooker tables set out for the people waiting>

topcat2014 Mon 30-Mar-20 18:54:39

Sounds like profiteering to me

PorpentinaScamander Mon 30-Mar-20 18:55:06

Whaaaaat? That's crazy. I sent DS to the shop yesterday (hes 15 before I get told children shouldn't be in shops - I'm self isolating still) for bread and milk as that's all we needed. I'm on a very tight budget so can't afford to buy things we don't need! It's been a week since anyone went to the shops so it's not like we are popping in everyday!

insancerre Mon 30-Mar-20 18:55:08

What?
So they have a minimum spend now?

Go elsewhere

Oakmaiden Mon 30-Mar-20 18:55:57

What if you only need bread and milk? It is entirely legitimate and within both the spirit and word of the regulations to do a big shop once a week and then to top up bread and milk midweek...

Whoareyoudududu Mon 30-Mar-20 18:56:01

Haven’t heard of this before and sounds like a ridiculous ‘rule’ to implement. Some people live alone so genuinely don’t need to buy much, not everyone will need a trolley full of stuff.

WorraLiberty Mon 30-Mar-20 18:56:24

So it was Aldi?

I'd get onto Twitter and start kicking up a stink.

Marieo Mon 30-Mar-20 18:57:20

Yeah I am lucky enough that I will be able to afford to shop in one of the (quite a lot pricier) independent shops, it worries me for people who won't. People who experienced the same have posted about it on twitter, will link it if there's any sort of reasonable response from the supermarket in question, or those who allegedly told them it was the law!

CodenameVillanelle Mon 30-Mar-20 18:57:24

This can't be true. Insane.

WorraLiberty Mon 30-Mar-20 18:57:42

Which area, OP?

Oakmaiden Mon 30-Mar-20 18:57:47

Hm... it also doesn't mention it on the website - I would be inclined to tweet...

DanielRicciardosSmile Mon 30-Mar-20 18:57:48

Im glad I don't have one of those A shops near me then. I don't have a car, and now DS can't accompany me to help I can only buy what I can carry.

OmgThereAreNoPlanesAboveMeNow Mon 30-Mar-20 18:59:19

Tweet it. Don't forget to tag a local reporter. It's not correct at all.

PumpkinPie2016 Mon 30-Mar-20 19:00:54

That's crazy. Definitely go elsewhere in future.

What about people who live alone and so only need a small amount of food? Many households can probably do a big shop to last a week or two but may need to top up fresh items in between.

Then there are people who don't have a car so have to buy what they can carry.

Think the management of the store may need to have a rethink!

Elieza Mon 30-Mar-20 19:03:40

If that’s true I think you are needing to phone the police non emergency number as there is no law about how little you can buy. This shop is very definitely wrong.

I can see how, if you’re there every day spending two quid, they would want you to go only once or twice a week to minimise your/their staffs’ exposure to germs. Shopping daily is dangerous to all.

I bought three things in Aldi the other day so if it was their policy that would not have been allowed.

Poorer families or people the day before pay day may not be able to afford a big shop and just have a few quid. I wouldn’t like to see anyone go hungry because if misinformed shop staff.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »