Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To request that a parent be asked not to bring her dog onto the school playground?

(78 Posts)
nodogsallowed Tue 11-Sep-07 17:15:45

My DD started back at school this week and I noticed that there is a new mum at the gates who has a visual impairment and has a guide dog. The general school policy is that dogs are not allowed past the school gates, but this mum brings the dog right up to the classroom to drop off her DS. My DD is terrified of dogs and has had a panic attack both mornings as even if she sees a dog it makes her histerical. I understand that the mum must need the dog, but the school playground is one place that children can be assured that there will be no dogs. Ibu to request that the mum not bring the dog in?

Getyourownjuice Tue 11-Sep-07 17:16:59

IMO, yes you ABU.

Guide dogs are excempted from the no dogs rule and generally are very well behaved. Not like the dog is a pit bull.

VagusPabo Tue 11-Sep-07 17:17:49

YABU

Here, have this hard hat and flack jacket.

Twiglett Tue 11-Sep-07 17:18:10

yes yabu

its a farkin guide dog

paolosgirl Tue 11-Sep-07 17:18:34

Completely unreasonable, yes. What is this woman supposed to do - she needs the dog to get around, for heaven's sake.

Getyourownjuice Tue 11-Sep-07 17:18:38

Sorry, I missed the bit about your daughters fear.

Maybe in the long run it may help her conquer her fear of dogs when she sees this one being well behaved nd not jumping and barking all over the place?

LadyVictoriaOfCake Tue 11-Sep-07 17:18:50

YAB UTTERLY UNREASONABLE.

Twinkie1 Tue 11-Sep-07 17:19:02

Yes you are being unreasonable - what is the mother to do - she is being excluded basically for having a disability if she is not allowed into the school.

ProjectIcarusinhercar Tue 11-Sep-07 17:19:09

yabu.

OrmIrian Tue 11-Sep-07 17:19:31

What is she supposed to do? She needs the dog to be able to get where she is going? Yes YABU.

Threadworm Tue 11-Sep-07 17:20:02

If it is a guidedog, then I think it would be unreasonable to object, though I can see it's a big problem for you. Can you ask the school to think of ways of helping with the situation, either by addressing your daughter's fear or by arranging separate entrance?

Twiglett Tue 11-Sep-07 17:20:04

but if this is a real problem then you should maybe ask if you can accompany your dd into the classroom and wait for the class there rather than in the playground because she has a phobia and you appreciate how unreasonable it would be to incapacitate a visually impaired person because of it

you might also want to start working on the phobia .. maybe a lesson on guide dogs and how they are trained could help

EscapeFrom Tue 11-Sep-07 17:20:05

Don't Be A Twat.

cornsilk Tue 11-Sep-07 17:20:31

YABU - it is a guide dog so the woman has to bring the dog with her. The guide dog will not attack your daughter and is also an excellent opportunity for you to help your daughter to overcome her fear of dogs.

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 11-Sep-07 17:20:38

YABU without a doubt !!!

daisyandbabybootoo Tue 11-Sep-07 17:20:42

Yes very....guide dogs are most definately allowed where other dogs aren't.

As they are very good natured perhaps you should see this as an opportunity to get your daughter over her fear.

berolina Tue 11-Sep-07 17:20:42

I find dogs difficult, but YABU. I do not have a problem with guide dogs, because they are necessary for their owners, but also because it is safe to assume that they will be well-trained and under good control.

FWIW, I regularly take ds to our local botanic gardens, where there is an absolute and very well-enforced ban on dogs - but guide dogs are allowed, as they should be.

paolosgirl Tue 11-Sep-07 17:20:47

twat??? shock

Isn't that a bit rude?

MrsMarvel Tue 11-Sep-07 17:20:58

No way - I've never seen a school where dogs are allowed inside the gates. Why can't they wait outside?

flowerybeanbag Tue 11-Sep-07 17:21:17

Oh for goodness sake. This woman has a disability and needs a guide dog! YABU! And guide dogs are unbelievably well-behaved, always.
Good opportunity as GYOJ says, for you DD to get over her fear.

bananaknickers Tue 11-Sep-07 17:21:18

yes you are and I wouldn't suggest you ask t.b.h. If your dd is that bad then perhaps explain this to the teacher and ask if your dd can go in 5 mins before the others. You will look so bad.Not having ago just trying to find you something to say without you looking awful.I would also find some advise on what to do with dd as she can't avoid dogs forever, perhaps the school can help

Threadworm Tue 11-Sep-07 17:21:21

A guidedog will be especially reliable and well trained, so might be an appropriate dog for your daughter to be introduced to

OrmIrian Tue 11-Sep-07 17:21:45

It seems to me that you are setting up your DD's phobia as more important this another child's parents disability. You can tackle a phobia (a well-behaved guide dog would be quite helpful to this end) but you can't make the poor woman see again.

Getyourownjuice Tue 11-Sep-07 17:22:59

Mrs Marvel

Why should she wait outside FFS, she has a disability. As i said before, not like she has a bleedin pit bull on the end of her chain!

As others said, I would use this an an opp to get the child over her fear

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 11-Sep-07 17:23:06

MrsMarvel - it's a guide dog, so the mother would need to have it to guide her to the classroom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now