Talk

Advanced search

To ask genuinely if you aren't following the rules

(510 Posts)
MrsKingfisher Sun 29-Mar-20 19:55:40

Why? I'm genuinely curious to know why those who can't get to grips with what's been asked of us all at this time or those who need to find a loophole are doing it.

Not key workers etc etc I'm talking about those who simply cannot do as they've been asked. It's mind boggling how simple rules can be so unclear to so many!

Some of my friends just cannot seem to stay at home, just carrying on as if the rules don't apply to them. I don't get it.

ladyvimes Sun 29-Mar-20 19:58:37

Because people are fucking stupid or selfish.

FlapAttack23 Sun 29-Mar-20 20:00:19

Because some people are thick turdsticles

EmAndes Sun 29-Mar-20 20:00:49

There might be the odd time where it’s necessary but most are just stupid

HoffiCoffi13 Sun 29-Mar-20 20:02:20

Some of my friends just cannot seem to stay at home, just carrying on as if the rules don't apply to them

What I don’t get though is where are they going? Everywhere is shut!

Lllot5 Sun 29-Mar-20 20:02:34

They don’t like be told what to do and they think they are ‘getting away’ with something.

MrsKingfisher Sun 29-Mar-20 20:02:40

I don't think it does boil down to just being stupid, the friends in my circle who are like this are anything but! I think it's a 'it won't happen to me' type of attitude coupled with selfishness or that it's not really as serious as the media say it is.

Theresnobslikeshowb Sun 29-Mar-20 20:03:08

Because they are dull, thick and stupid. Simple.

x2boys Sun 29-Mar-20 20:03:17

We definitely are the only time I have been out is too take the dog out but still social distancing, and to buy bread etc at the local shop ,my kids haven't been out for over a week ,dh has stopped going to work,he's just been diagnosed with Diabetes and is at higher risk, I do think more people are gettin it now

MrsKingfisher Sun 29-Mar-20 20:04:21

@HoffiCoffi13 one is visiting family, the other friends. It's as if they are the only ones in the world having to suffer being stuck at home.

ShirleyPhallus Sun 29-Mar-20 20:04:33

No one but no one will admit to “not following the rules”.

Just look on the various threads though and you’ll see how people are ever so slightly bending the rules. Going out more than necessary / driving places / going for a few walks a day / going shopping more than once a week or going in to multiple grocery stores for “essentials”.

No one will admit to being the turd that is putting everyone else in danger, it’s a cumulative effect.

isabellerossignol Sun 29-Mar-20 20:05:07

I'm happy to say that I don't know anyone who isn't following the rules. It's totally dead where I live. No one is coming in and out of their houses except to go for a walk or, presumably, to go grocery shopping.

flyingspaghettimonster Sun 29-Mar-20 20:05:52

I've seen it here. The older people who kept going out said 'I feel fine, I'm healthy' or "I'm not scsred of it". The younger ones think it doesn't apply to them, or think just one or two social visits counts as social distancing. Or that it is fake news

fluffedupferretonsteroids Sun 29-Mar-20 20:06:23

I have unfriended a lot of people on facebook because of this. The last one was them saying how happy they were to have there mum close by followed by lots of pictures of them mingling.
I would give anything to see my mum but I dont because I'm not a idiot.
My partners boss doesn't care and still does what he wants. I've told my partner he's not allowed near him, hes a key worker so has to go.

bigbluebus Sun 29-Mar-20 20:06:35

There have been massive discussions and arguments on a local rural facebook page near here today about people driving to a specific area to walk/exercise their dogs. The usual car park is closed but people don't seem to get the message that this means don't go unless you can walk there from home. The 'justification' being they've been going there for 30 years - well we've all being doing lots of things for 30 years (and more) but we can't do them at the moment!

DateAndWalnuts Sun 29-Mar-20 20:07:41

It's bloody frustrating...dh and I are both in social care and have to go to work, would love to self isolate, then there's others flouting the advice and think they are invincible and carry on regardless 😠

sudocremanglaise Sun 29-Mar-20 20:08:03

People seem to have interpreted the ‘rules’ in their own way. The most common ones I see are:

- popping over to someone’s house for a ‘socially distanced catch up’, eg sitting at one end of front garden and person sits in their doorway.
- being allowed one trip out per day (which seems to have evolved from exercising outside up to once per day), I see lots of “I used my one trip out to do x...”.
- going out for exercise by walking for hours, I mean maybe some people usually do this but the ones I know didn’t and live in the inner city, not rural middle of nowhere.

They all seem to think they’re doing this right. And I suppose in some ways, it’s better than what they were likely doing before. But I still don’t think they’ve caught the essence of the messaging. I don’t know why, I get the impression that they think they can’t possibly be contributing to risk because they’re 2 metres from other people. That might have worked when we were supposed to social distance but not enough people did it! We’re now in lockdown and travel outdoors should be essential/limited to reduce how many people are out and about and overall reduce transmission risk and the burden on the NHS.

It’s improving where I live at least, but still apparently lots of sunbathers etc in parks being dispersed according to council and police news.

Lllot5 Sun 29-Mar-20 20:09:10

But people don’t listen to advice at the best of times. People smoke, drink too much, drive too fast, take drugs, lay in the sun until they burn.
They don’t care don’t listen don’t think it will happen to them. Trouble is this time we are all going to be affected by their selfishness

Bunnylady54 Sun 29-Mar-20 20:09:39

The tragedy of it all is that at least some of the 1000 plus deaths in the UK could have been prevented if more of us didn’t decide that we knew better or we were somehow immune! I have been extremely shocked & angered by the behaviour of close family members who I never thought would be so thoughtless in a million years. The 3 of us are sticking to the rules. I have a problem with work as my company’s stores have remained open, despite not being officially classed as essential. I could go in as DH isn’t working but the worse the situation gets, the less I want to take the risk. However, we have no income so I may just have to bite the bullet 😢

bloodywhitecat Sun 29-Mar-20 20:10:12

Everyone I know is diligently following the rules, we go out once a day to walk the dog and DP does the shopping when we are running low, everyone I know is doing pretty much the same.

YouTheCat Sun 29-Mar-20 20:10:54

I went out to work on Monday (in a school, looking after a vulnerable child) and nipped to the shop on my way home to get bread and milk.

I went out on Thursday for work and got sent home as said child is no longer coming in.

My partner and I went for a walk on Saturday (round the posh houses over the road and observing appropriate distance from the 4/5 people who were also out). I didn't even stroke any cats.

I'm going to try and make sure I get out for a walk every day though as my joints have started to stiffen up from inactivity.

There may be a top up trip to the local shop for bread and milk, once a week.

motortroll Sun 29-Mar-20 20:11:41

I am trying hard. I went and did a supermarket shop in the week but today my dh decided he also needed to go 🙄 and then my mum phoned to ask for some stuff (she didn't need anything in the week when I asked) so now I'll have to go again tomorrow. So that's 3 supermarket trips in our household within a week!!!

Other than that I've not been out TO anywhere, just a couple of runs (I usually run!) round the local field and a few walks round the block with the kids.

On Tuesday I'm in work (teacher) so another outing!

DontBe Sun 29-Mar-20 20:14:29

I think until it affects them directly, i.e someone they love gets ill or hospitalised, then they don’t care and think it won’t happen to them. Some people are also selfish twats.

BatleyTownswomensGuild Sun 29-Mar-20 20:14:35

I am following them to the absolute letter because I'm shit scared my very asthmatic husband is going to pick COVID up. Our very fit and healthy friend, a 40 year old marathon runner is currently very ill in bed with it and it terrifies me....

DontTouchTheMoustache Sun 29-Mar-20 20:14:48

Its madness. I am at the start of a very new relationship but wont see him until it is safe to do so. It sucks, and honestly there is a chance that means it will fizzle out but fucking hell I'd rather live 🙄

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »