Talk

Advanced search

To not know how to feed my family!

(130 Posts)
Rosehip345 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:25:50

We’re luckily not in the position yet. I can manage for another week I think.
I have four kids under 6, and I’m on my own. We don’t fit the criteria for vulnerable delivery slots, plus can’t actually get one.
How am I supposed to get any shopping?!!! Can’t take the kids in, can’t leave them outside, can’t get delivery!

spacepoppers Sat 28-Mar-20 17:27:29

Do you have any friends or neighbours that can help you out with some essentials? It's not easy I know. Perhaps ask for help on local facebook groups? There have been a lot set up.

Mouseylu Sat 28-Mar-20 17:28:19

Whereabouts r u? Is there a neighbours who might help? If you're near me I will help...

Throughabushbackwards Sat 28-Mar-20 17:28:36

Are there any community led help groups operating in your area? I know of several in our area from seeing various Facebook posts that say to get in touch if you need help with shopping or errands.

dustyphoenix Sat 28-Mar-20 17:32:46

Do you have a friend who can watch the kids for a few hours while you shop? Or can you join a Facebook support group and ask for a volunteer to go shopping for you?

parietal Sat 28-Mar-20 17:33:42

join nextdoor.co.uk which is a neighbourhood website. you will probably find a community group who can bring shopping.

Rosehip345 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:33:55

There are groups but we’re very rural and anyone I know is isolated or vulnerable. I’ll have a nosey on Facebook and see if there’s anything set up

Parker231 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:35:45

Check with friends and neighbors as to whether they can shop for you. I’ve done it this morning for two neighbors.

TuscanGreen Sat 28-Mar-20 17:36:38

If you type in COVID 19 neighbourhood support and the area you are in on Facebook you hopefully will find a group close to you. Other ideas are to call the local church and ask if they can assist

DianaT1969 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:38:16

Can you ask a friend or family member to meet you at the store and he/she stands outside near the pushchair while you shop? Everyone maintaining 2m distance?
Otherwise I think you'll have to shop in small, local stores for essentials and keep an eye on the pushchair outside, which isn't ideal.

blackteaplease Sat 28-Mar-20 17:39:26

How rural are you? My local village pub is doing veg, salad and fruit boxes and the butcher is taking online orders for collection. You must be able to get food from somewhere.

If not contact your parish council. Ours are coordinating volunteers for deliveries

DianaT1969 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:40:07

Do you have a car and usually drive? In which case the DC could stay strapped in to their car seats and your friend waits next to it. I would do this for a friend as part of my exercise walk no problem.

Freddiefox Sat 28-Mar-20 17:43:39

If you drive leave the children in the car.
If not can your neighbour keep an eye out for them though a window?

caringcarer Sat 28-Mar-20 17:44:04

I have found my delivery slot between 12 and 1 am. We tried all day every half hour. Got slot yesterday for April 15th. It might not help for next week but could for week after.

Homemadearmy Sat 28-Mar-20 17:45:24

Facebook is your friend here. It will have you find places that deliver or do a order and collect service

SirChable Sat 28-Mar-20 17:46:18

Are these any good to you?

www.morrisons.com/food-boxes/boxes

CalmdownJanet Sat 28-Mar-20 17:47:33

Does your community have a facebook page? We are rural and our page has advertised help, delivery services from a local shop, our text alert system from the guards had offered help with shopping etc, do you know if any of those services are in your area?

Or someone you can do a list for and get them to shop for you?

SirChable Sat 28-Mar-20 17:47:38

I’m sorry, I’ve just seen they’re out of delivery slots for the food boxes.

May be worth checking?

Whereabouts, roughly, are you OP?

Scruffyoak Sat 28-Mar-20 17:47:43

What area?

IceCreamAndCandyfloss Sat 28-Mar-20 17:47:49

If you’re rural there are likely farm shops etc doing deliveries.

OhCaptain Sat 28-Mar-20 17:47:55

Why can’t you get a delivery slot? Not in the UK so don’t know the rules.

SirChable Sat 28-Mar-20 17:47:56

Checking back, I mean.

tara66 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:48:36

Your MP should have contacted you by now letting you know where you can get help if needed - also your local county/ town councillors - where I am Conservative Councillors have emailed me twice and Labour Councillors - once - telling me how to get help locally.

SoupDragon Sat 28-Mar-20 17:49:16

Why can’t you get a delivery slot?

Demand is outstripping supply.

OhCaptain Sat 28-Mar-20 17:49:55

Oh, so it’s not to do with certain criteria? Got confused by the OP!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »