Talk

Advanced search

A local shop is refusing entry to single parents

(620 Posts)
Throwaway667 Sat 28-Mar-20 09:58:04

I feel completely enraged by this. With delivery and collection slots now going to the vulnerable (as they should) it’s becoming more difficult to buy essential shopping as it is.
To remove access to essential goods based on the person having a dependant they can’t leave at home is upsetting imo.
Surely this is discrimination?

BanginChoons Sat 28-Mar-20 09:59:50

Yeah this is not ok.

HasaDigaEebowai Sat 28-Mar-20 10:00:44

Well presumably what they are actually doing is saying no children?

TreeTopTim Sat 28-Mar-20 10:00:54

What shop is this?

RedHelenB Sat 28-Mar-20 10:00:58

Remember this when things get back to normal and shop elsewhere. Personally I would ring the storest of discuss it with the manager. There must be a solution.

Gogogohaze95 Sat 28-Mar-20 10:01:57

YANBU

insancerre Sat 28-Mar-20 10:03:23

How old is your child?
Can they not wait outside?

Blackopal Sat 28-Mar-20 10:03:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GoldenBlue Sat 28-Mar-20 10:03:42

I assume you mean they won't let you take children in.

I can imagine that's frustrating if you have no alternative but to bring them.

However they are probably trying to help keep everyone safe.

Yabu

THATscurryfungeBITCH Sat 28-Mar-20 10:05:08

Fair enough they are trying to keep people safe but since your not meant to leave your dc with people who dont live with you how is a single parent meant to buy food!

EL8888 Sat 28-Mar-20 10:05:55

@HasaDigaEebowai l agree. No children isn’t the same as no single parents

Isadora2007 Sat 28-Mar-20 10:06:14

I guess they think they’re helping shield their vulnerable guests from germ ridden children- and perhaps also live in an area where feckless parents would and do send their kids alone to the shops every day several times for sweets, drinks and now for the shopping too. So they’re banning kids. I get it.
The larger shops aren’t so I guess you head there- or perhaps you could call the shop and ask the manager if he’d make an exception for you to come just before closing time WITH your child- are they under 4?

Blackopal Sat 28-Mar-20 10:07:33

Sorry, sorry! Tried to link to another thread where this has been discussed as the larger supermarkets seem to , unofficially, be also following this rule. Total fail, have reported my post!

EmeraldShamrock Sat 28-Mar-20 10:10:22

Your OP is misleading. Lots of supermarkets have stopped DC entering. I am sure they'd make an exception for 1 child if you explained your situation.

Blackopal Sat 28-Mar-20 10:10:38

Interesting that on the supermarket thread, lots of people are happy at this and digest single parents go to the local shop.

Apart from the cost, if now they are also using this rule what are we supposed to do?

MummytoCSJH Sat 28-Mar-20 10:11:13

This is happening at the 2 shops near me. I'm alone with a 5yo (who is high risk and also has adhd so no can't be left outside). Haven't needed to go out yet but not sure what I'll do when I do which will probably be in a couple of days sad I have no family or friends who can help. We're high risk but not 'very vulnerable' so can't get the gov supermarket help or a general slot. I get they want to prevent it if possible but a blanket decision is going to put so many parents in difficulty.

Thescrewinthetuna Sat 28-Mar-20 10:12:07

It’s fucking awful

lmcneil003 Sat 28-Mar-20 10:14:21

Surely this is discrimination?

Please look up the meaningof the wood discrimination...

Isadora2007 Sat 28-Mar-20 10:14:41

Many single parents will have a non resident parent the child still sees so that can shop when alone?
Many SP will have a child over the age of 4 so they can leave child in the car while they do a quick shop.
Many SP will have more than one child- the older one can watch the younger one while you shop.
If I were a SP still- I’d contact the manager and ask if I could possibly shop right before closing time with child in tow. Or ask if they’d package me up some items so I could run in and pay and leave- with child.

Again the rule is being made to stop the ignorant masses misusing and abusing this situation and putting lots of people at risk. Sadly a small number of genuine cases will be suffering as a result. That’s life currently though.

IceCreamAndCandyfloss Sat 28-Mar-20 10:14:55

Presumably they are stopping children entering and marital status has nothing to do with it. Would you prefer they close instead of taking measures to protect themselves and their other customers?

Scarletmonkey Sat 28-Mar-20 10:15:04

Hmmm, so what are people supposed to do?

Not eligible for a delivery slot
Children too young to leave at home
Cant leave them with grandparents
Cant leave them with friends
Now cant take them into a shop...

Genuinely - what are people supposed to do?

MowzersAsleep Sat 28-Mar-20 10:15:07

I just took DD to Morrisons for the 07.00-08.00 key worker shop.

I held her hand 90% of the time. She knew not to go near anyone as well.

Im glad they let me in.

A member of staff was shopping, out of uniform, inches away from people, and stood next to me when I payed as she was next confused

I recognised her and she was chatting to the other staff about work.

ChazsBrilliantAttitude Sat 28-Mar-20 10:15:22

I think single parents are more likely to be women so it is potentially indirect sex discrimination.

It’s also very poorly thought out.

caroloro Sat 28-Mar-20 10:20:09

Most local neighbourhoods have set up a network of people who are happy to help. Ask a friend or neighbour to do your shopping?

Rainbowqueeen Sat 28-Mar-20 10:23:05

Really not ok

Please reach out to your neighbours. I would be only too happy to help anyone in this situation

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »