Talk

Advanced search

To think they didn't think this through?

(66 Posts)
MyNameHasBeenTaken Sat 28-Mar-20 07:45:07

Lighthearted!
Dd gets free school meals.
Because of this, we are entitled to a voucher.
All good so far. Extra money. Choose which supermarket you prefer.
Voucher comes as a text .
Decent amount of money too!
But you are not allowed to use it on line!
You have to take it in to a store.
Now, I am definitely pleased to have it. And it has a long expiration date, so I can use it when (if?) Lockdown ends. But others might need that money now?

BrokenBrit Sat 28-Mar-20 07:47:33

Can you get to a store? Do all shops accept the vouchers or just major supermarkets. Yes I can imagine it’s a problem for people who can’t access shops due to location/ lack of transport.

Unshriven Sat 28-Mar-20 07:50:59

Well the chances of anyone being able to get a delivery slot are remote. Kids need food now, not at the beginning of May.

There's a minimum spend too, which could be problematic online.

Marieo Sat 28-Mar-20 07:51:22

Seen as though there aren't any delivery slots anyway, it doesn't seem to be a huge problem.

BuffaloCauliflower Sat 28-Mar-20 07:52:03

Why can’t you just use it in store? People are still allowed to go to supermarkets?

MyNameHasBeenTaken Sat 28-Mar-20 07:54:25

I am vulnerable.
With a primary aged asthmatic autistic dd.
But as I said, it's not just about me!
Round here, lots of free school meals families dont drive or have a car.
Lots of single parents

ohcarriemathison Sat 28-Mar-20 08:12:01

Is there a volunteer service in your area that could use the voucher for you ?

Pippa12 Sat 28-Mar-20 08:12:19

I think they are doing there best in an awful situation. They couldn’t deliver free meals to every entitled child everyday?

mrsbyers Sat 28-Mar-20 08:49:13

You’d just forward the voucher to whoever is doing your shopping for you. FFS the sense of entitlement is baffling me by certain groups , what more can the government do to help that is not being appreciated at all !?

Beebie2 Sat 28-Mar-20 08:55:47

People are allowed to walk to the supermarket. Obviously you cant due to not being able to leave the house, but not having a car doesn’t mean you can’t go to the shop

MyNameHasBeenTaken Sat 28-Mar-20 09:22:17

As I said... not about me!
Just a wondering of why they spent extra time adding the clause "not valid online"
When people are being encouraged to shop online?
No entitlement here. I have stated I am grateful for mine and fortunate enough to be able to wait to use it.

MyNameHasBeenTaken Sat 28-Mar-20 09:24:04

Broken
We were sent a text link with a choice of 4 supermarkets.
We selected the one we wanted and got a voucher for that specific store.

PhoenixIsFlying Sat 28-Mar-20 09:24:57

My daughters school said we could go in each day to collect a sandwich. I can’t go anywhere am in 12 week isolation as I am in vulnerable group. My daughter is autistic and very fussy with food and won’t eat sandwiches.

Livelovebehappy Sat 28-Mar-20 09:25:44

Just get someone to use it in store for you. Fgs the government can’t cover absolutely everything.

playthestation Sat 28-Mar-20 09:27:51

Our did pack lunches last week but are moving to vouchers because the uptake was low. They are doing what they can.

pippishortsocks Sat 28-Mar-20 09:29:19

They have provided the vouchers for you, they wouldn't work if you had to use them online as there are no delivery slots. I've not used our much needed ones either as we are stuck indoors and using things up from the cupboards and a minimal hello fresh order as it was all we could get delivered which we can't afford but at least tax credits cover the cost. I'll use the vouchers when this is over to replenish my stock cupboard.

You sound very entitled to be complaining, what more do you want them to do ? We are all in a mess with this and have to make the best of it.

JojoLapin Sat 28-Mar-20 09:29:26

Supermarkets are not geared up for digital vouchers (counterfeit issues, single use, etc.), it’s not the government’s fault.

SleeplessWB Sat 28-Mar-20 09:30:31

We have given all our FSM money for the school to a local food bank who are going to distribute food packages on our behalf to our pupils.

Fraggle45 Sat 28-Mar-20 09:30:30

We're in the same position, chose Tesco as we use them for all our shopping online but the stores actually 25 miles away and we are in the vulnerable group so 12 week isolation

I emailed them last night and the vouchers are valid for 12 months so we're going to print them off each week and pop them in an envelope and after the 12 weeks DH will go for a drive to the store and use them

If I'd realised they can't be used online we'd have chosen a different supermarket but I'm grateful for them

MyNameHasBeenTaken Sat 28-Mar-20 09:42:43

Ooh.
Sounds like there are different sorts then.
Mine is a large amount- probably a week of 10 days worth of shopping. Valid for 24 months!
I kind of get the online security, but is there much difference between me typing in the barcode number v checkout person scanning it?

MyNameHasBeenTaken Sat 28-Mar-20 09:45:24

And I definitely have not complained.
I am grateful for my voucher.
Just pondering on the logistics of how people will be able to use them
All the advice is "stay home" keep away from shops unless essential, use home delivery...

MitziK Sat 28-Mar-20 09:47:43

For a start, if you can tap in a code, you can sell that code to somebody else to use in exchange for drugs. Having to be in the supermarket and have somebody scan the code reduces the likelihood that it's been bought by either a random scumbag for a tenner or taken in payment along with 20, 40, 100 others by a dealer.

MyNameHasBeenTaken Sat 28-Mar-20 09:49:25

Fair point mitzi
Not something I had considered

Thatbloodybear Sat 28-Mar-20 09:50:34

I think they are doing their best.
Around here homes are having a loaf, a pay of butter, 5 apples and 5 bags of crisps to cover a week's FSM. you've got the better deal, perhaps stop complaining.

MowzersAsleep Sat 28-Mar-20 09:53:14

I hadnt thought about this. DD gets FSM due to age, as a keyworker she will go to school, but has to take a packed lunch. I dont mind at all, and hope the children at home are o.k for food as our area has a high need for the food banks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »