Talk

Advanced search

I didn't clap

(318 Posts)
Colacube77 Thu 26-Mar-20 20:51:29

I had no idea about it! Heard the noisecat 8pm looked out the window and saw people outside clapping but couldn't see why. I'm not on social media and I didn't hear about it. Saw on the news later but I missed it. I do give a care about the NHS but now all my neighbors will think I'm terrible and don't care!

Starlight1243 Thu 26-Mar-20 20:52:48

Dont worry op I'm feeling awful with stomach ache and didnt get chance to clap doesnt make you a bad person.

IKEA888 Thu 26-Mar-20 20:54:33

no they won't. don t worry. my neighbour looked out to see what the noise was it wa obvious she didn't have a clue

MumW Thu 26-Mar-20 20:54:53

I missed it too but it doesn't mean I'm not apprecative.
I couldn't give FF what the neighbours think, it's what's in my heart that counts.

Northernsoullover Thu 26-Mar-20 20:55:37

Don't worry. Not many did by me. I think everyone was feeling a bit British but I think it will grow. I'm assuming it wasn't a one off?

Getinthetent Thu 26-Mar-20 20:55:42

I knew about it but I forgot until I heard next door woo-hooing and clapping. I was too shy to go out and join in so me and Dd just did a little clap in the house. I’m also worried my neighbours will think I’m horrible!

TheWordmeister Thu 26-Mar-20 20:55:53

You don't have to, you know.

It's just virtue signalling. Makes no odds.

LoseLooseLucy Thu 26-Mar-20 20:56:33

There was a brilliant "turn out" on my street. The neighbours who weren't out I presumed may not have known about it.

user1353245678533567 Thu 26-Mar-20 20:56:42

There are lots of ways to care and show you care without public displays. If anyone is judging you for not doing it that says more about them.

BooseysMom Thu 26-Mar-20 20:56:58

I meant to clap then forgot all about it as it's DS's bed time. Me and DS had a little clap at 8.10

Megan2018 Thu 26-Mar-20 20:57:15

I couldn’t do it, trying to get baby to bed. A lot of the village did apparently but I don’t have any near neighbours (the houses immediately near me are empty as they have decamped elsewhere).

MikeFromSpaced Thu 26-Mar-20 20:57:53

I didn’t clap either. I show my appreciation by not voting Tory.

ASandwichNamedKevin Thu 26-Mar-20 20:58:19

I think it's happening again next Thursday OP so you could join in then if you like.
I thought you were coming on to say you had some kind of objection to the clapping!
There are many ways to show NHS and other frontline workers our appreciation - mainly staying home and doing what we're supposed to and realising that the rules apply to all.

TwinsTrollsAndHunz Thu 26-Mar-20 20:59:16

I didn’t clap either, I was in the bath. I was a nurse until last summer.

We are MILES from the hospital, it just strikes me as a virtue signalling exercise, a way to show your neighbours that you are the BEST at empathy. A way to make the do-we feel better, rather than actually do anything for the keyworkers. During this crisis, most of the nurses, carers and other healthcare key workers are either in work working gruelling back to back shifts or are sleeping, in readiness for their next hellish shift.

Colacube77 Thu 26-Mar-20 20:59:27

Well I never vote tory and campaigned for Labour so hopefully that will count!

Lockheart Thu 26-Mar-20 20:59:50

I didn't either. If people want to do that then no argument from me, but I'm more of a take-action person rather than a thoughts-and-prayers person.

maa1992 Thu 26-Mar-20 21:00:30

I didn't know either, apparently there was fireworks by mine and I honestly didn't hear a thing. Feel bad now!!

AmelieTaylor Thu 26-Mar-20 21:00:57

It’s a shame you missed it. It was fabulous around here and you could hear it from quite a distance 😊

But it was way too dark to see everyone. Many of us out lights in, but not all.

I don’t think badly of any neighbours who didn’t come out. I think many didn’t know, others might be putting kids to bed or whatever.

Someone’s suggested it’s done weekly until this is over, I think it’s a great idea (I think nightly, as another person suggested, is too often & will lose impact)

It was really touching & I hope st leafy some NHS staff got to hear it. Sadly I expect the vast majority are working or sleeping

bananaontoast1 Thu 26-Mar-20 21:00:59

I didn’t clap either - I vote Labour instead.

Ladyglitterfairydust Thu 26-Mar-20 21:01:46

I’d intended to clap, but I was in the middle of putting the dc to bed and they were making a bit of a fuss about it so I missed it. I do feel bad about it and very much appreciate how hard everyone is working.

FamilyOfAliens Thu 26-Mar-20 21:02:01

It's just virtue signalling.

You just keep telling yourself that, misery-guts.

KellyHall Thu 26-Mar-20 21:02:53

I would have liked to have clapped but I didn't because my toddler had fallen asleep on me and it just wasn't worth risking waking her up. My dh went out to do it for all of us.
I also messaged everyone I know who works in the NHS with blue hearts and clapping hands, they said they appreciated it!

Quickquestion2020 Thu 26-Mar-20 21:03:42

I didn't realise, thought it was riots or something, checked all my doors were locked!

ErrolTheDragon Thu 26-Mar-20 21:03:56

I didn't because I was still in a work Skype meeting. Nothing special, I wfh anyway and the rest of the team are in California.

I could hear quite a few neighbours clapping though.

OoohTheStatsDontLie Thu 26-Mar-20 21:04:16

I didn't either. I kind of think NHS workers would prefer us to vote for a party that will raise taxes and properly fund them and stop privatising them, and to stop missing appointments, or turning up to A and E with a broken fingernail, or calling an ambulance because they can't be bothered to drive etc etc, rather than a clap. But I don't work for the NHS so I may be wrong

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »