Talk

Advanced search

to think the word "bullying" is now used too much

(6 Posts)
2shoes Tue 11-Sep-07 08:45:54

seems to me(and I might be wrong) that now a days people say bulling at the drop of a hat. I mean how can people saying something on a web site be bulling. or 2 kids falling out be bulling..........the list could go on.
I always thought bulling was an event that went on for a long time. Like when my ds was bullied at school for over a year. I don't consider it bulling when a name is called a few times then stops.

lojomojo Tue 11-Sep-07 10:37:20

Bullying takes on all sort of faces, not just prolonged bullying but sometimes just hatefilled moments.
The word which I hate which is used a lot lately is Haters.

littlelapin Tue 11-Sep-07 10:39:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LoveAngel Tue 11-Sep-07 10:41:47

I think 'bullying' is ridiculously over-used. Your boss has a go at you for being late to work? You were 'bullied'. A teacher shouts at a rude pupil? He was bullying the child. It's got out of control.

SenoraPostrophe Tue 11-Sep-07 10:46:25

I agree wholeheartedly. people disagreeing on a website is not bullying, even if they disagree vehemently and even if posters B C and D also disagree.

But otoh, do you remember when real but subtle or phsychological bullying was simply ignored? These things always go too far in the other direction, but hopefully we'll find the right mid point soon.

2shoes Tue 11-Sep-07 11:57:57

glad it is not just me
I just think it is comming to the time when the word is so over used it will become meaningless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now