Talk

Advanced search

I didn't do anything wrong....did I?

(594 Posts)
Funkyslippers Thu 26-Mar-20 16:40:29

DD desperate to see her friend who lives a few streets away. She made brownies and we dropped them on her doorstep, went back onto the pavement around 12 feet away, DD called her and she came to the door, took the brownies and said thank you.

They then call each other while we're walking home (social distancing all the way but not many people around) and her older sister shouts in the background "her mum let her do that? That was stupid!!!" meaning we shouldn't have brough the brownies round to her house. I couldn't see anything wrong with it. I mean, the postman delivers mail to houses each day. Am I missing something? Or is she worried about eating contaminated food - we washed our hands thoroughly during the process.

Funkyslippers Thu 26-Mar-20 16:41:16

Sorry no need to vote

KonTikki Thu 26-Mar-20 16:42:38

I think you'll both survive 🙂

ChittyChittyBoomBoom Thu 26-Mar-20 16:42:45

Well it’s certainly pushing the boundaries. This type of thing will probably result in us being restricted to our own properties only.

Lucindainthesky Thu 26-Mar-20 16:42:57

You shouldn't be taking brownies round to somebody's house, it isn't essential.

HeyDuggeewatchadoin Thu 26-Mar-20 16:43:22

You may have washed your hands thoroughly but missed a spot, and how do they know you did it thoroughly?
This is about equal to sticking your finger in their mouth and you're asking them to trust you that it's clean.
Don't make food for people unless absolutely necessary.

WoeIsMee Thu 26-Mar-20 16:43:44

It wasn’t essential, was it?

This is the problem. Everyone is looking for loopholes, and everyone believes they have a reason that the rules shouldn’t apply to them.

TheGriffle Thu 26-Mar-20 16:43:45

How exactly was driving brownies an essential journey?

Lucindainthesky Thu 26-Mar-20 16:44:00

And yes the postman delivers mail, but most people I've spoken to are quarantining or cleaning their post

Iamthewombat Thu 26-Mar-20 16:44:16

Essential journeys only. Stay at home. Which bit of this message is unclear?

And yes, you could absolutely transmit the virus on whatever you wrapped the brownies in.

TheGriffle Thu 26-Mar-20 16:44:35

*delivering

Spanglebangle Thu 26-Mar-20 16:44:49

You are supposed to be avoiding People. You deliberately went there to interact. you could have just phoned or skyped. Yes you were wrong.

SarahInAccounts Thu 26-Mar-20 16:45:00

Spare us from the joy police.

Marieo Thu 26-Mar-20 16:45:09

You're allowed out for a walk, you left them at a safe distance, surely it's up to them whether they want to eat them or not. You aren't allowed to mix households, but dropping something off at a safe distance as long as you observed social distancing on the way then meh. I am wouldn't do it again, but similarly I wouldnt worry.

raffle Thu 26-Mar-20 16:45:18

If it was their daily exercise and they dropped brownies off on the route then that’s ok isn’t it?!

Camouflage Thu 26-Mar-20 16:45:36

You didn't do anything wrong, you followed the guidance (assuming that walk was your once daily outdoor exercise) and you didn't come into contact with anyone else. However, i can understand her anxiety. You're right, the postman still delivers mail, food shopping is still delivered, etc. But those are essential, brownies aren't. It was a lovely thought but I probably wouldn't make unnecessary trips like this again x

Funkyslippers Thu 26-Mar-20 16:46:18

Well the brownies weren't essential, I agree, but was part of our daily exercise

cardibach Thu 26-Mar-20 16:46:41

It’s not an essential trip as laid out I. The rules, though if it was your walk that covers that. However the virus does live on surfaces, both your brownie packaging if you have the virus and the friend’s door if they or the postman have it. Seems an unnecessary risk. Can’t she FaceTime her friend?

lubeybooby Thu 26-Mar-20 16:47:02

The postman delivers essential documents. ffs

Yeafortwo Thu 26-Mar-20 16:47:10

She didn't drive there unless I missed something. Was it your one a day daily exercise? It's nice but maybe ill advised given current climate.

buzzswole Thu 26-Mar-20 16:47:34

I find this bizarre.
I have had two well meaning friends bring baking to my house in a similar way but there's no wY we're eating it.

If we can't risk breathing the same air as you we definitely can't risk eating food that your children have made.

As a PP said, it's like sticking your finger in their mouth confused

Funkyslippers Thu 26-Mar-20 16:49:08

Well not really, Buzz, as the food was cooked and we didn't touch it after it came out of the oven. The inside of the foil was not touched by our hands either

buzzswole Thu 26-Mar-20 16:50:01

And for what it's worth my 5 year old even said 'I don't want to eat those because they used their hands to make them'.

LuluJakey1 Thu 26-Mar-20 16:51:08

It's not the crime of the century grin
It's certainly not morally wrong
But this virus does not spread itself: it is spread by the actions of human beings.That's the point
It's probably going to be fine if you did not touch the Brownie once it was cooked, if the family wiped the tin with something to kill any virus before they opened it and washed their hands before they then touched the Brownie. It really is that easy to catch.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Thu 26-Mar-20 16:51:36

I see nothing wrong with it- but according to mn anyone who dares leave their house atm is utterly irresponsible.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »