Talk

Advanced search

Universal Credit website

(11 Posts)
Helga55 Thu 26-Mar-20 14:41:05

So I tried to use the UC website this morning, what a shower of shite it is! Previously used it a couple of years ago, so both my partner and myself have an account, everything worked and we had some help for a couple of months.

Fast forward to this morning, I log in to make a new claim, I put in the required codes, & it just takes me round and round in the same loop, there's no options for help, so in the end I make a new profile, get it linked to my partners and think it's all sorted till I get to the verification, this doesn't recognise me, even though I've used it before, sends me back to the UC site, and again takes me round and round in circles, and I get nowhere. In the end I use the option to book an appointment at the job enter, but ofcourse there's no face to face atm, I tried several times to get through to someone on the phone, but each time I got through the required options, I got the engaged tone and then it cut me off

How the fuck am I going to get a claim started if there's no help with online technical problems, I.e no 'live chat' or being able to get through to speak to someone, whether that be for technical help or to query the claim/verify myself? In the end I put a message in the journal outlining the issues I'm having, but who knows if I'll get an answer.

I understand there's a lot of people trying to access UC, but it's just not up to the job

Hinchunup Thu 26-Mar-20 16:00:34

My 18 yrs old daughter managed to complete online form but for some reason, after waiting in 10 hour queue wasn't able to be verified. Tried a different company to verify which involved 4 hrs wait to be told the same. She has driving licence and passport. We don't know how to progress..

MiniMum97 Thu 26-Mar-20 16:09:44

I am a benefits adviser. Unfortunately if you can't verify online you have to call the UC helpline. I understand that 100,000 people were in the queue today and the system is buckling. I am trying to find out if there are any other options going to be put in place if you can't get through in the queue. I will report back if we are told anything.

If you get through they will arrange a phone ID interview. I believe they are trying to do this while you are on the phone as the job centres who would normally do this are short staffed.

You do have a number of weeks to get through to book the ID interview so maybe see it's calmed down a little by next week.

Your claim has gone through and is started if you are at the ID stage. If you don't book by the deadline in your to-do though the claim will close.

The system will ask for fresh ID if ID not done within 6 months (and sometimes within that time).

Endoflifeasweknowit Thu 26-Mar-20 16:12:05

My claim went through, my ID was verified but it now says I must make an appt at the job centre ? I made a note in my journal asking how I do this when the number just hangs up and appts are suspended, only to get a response saying I must ring to make an appt. this is hugely frustrating 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

Wineislifex Thu 26-Mar-20 16:15:11

We had to apply after my DH business has been effected by corona, I did the online forms for us both, verified his ID online but mind couldn’t be verified, I was on hold for 3hours but spoke to someone who made an appointment for someone to telephone me on Tuesday. She verified me on the phone, then asked my husband a couple of questions about his business and then told us to login on the 19th to see what we’re entitled to! Beyond confusing!

Patchworkpatty Thu 26-Mar-20 23:44:50

I know this doesn't help anyone but the DWP have a third of their staff self isolating either through being on very vulnerable list (civil service are huge disability employers) or having symptoms. Add to that the usual work load of 8k claims a day and compare with the 100k they had yesterday and you can see why all systems are overloaded.

It will take them a week or so to pull staff off back room jobs and get them trained to do benefit payments. No business could cope with this massive change in demand without problems. Give them a few days ...

MotherofDogs3 Sat 28-Mar-20 06:42:49

For anyone having problems getting through to speak to someone on universal credits phone number leave a message in your journal explaining you can't get through and for them to call you, etc. I had to do this to make an appointment with them as no chance of getting through on their line! They got back to me same day.

Krabapple Sat 28-Mar-20 07:04:36

Leave a message in your journal and wait for a call. Not ideal but as far as I know they are contacting everyone who had made a new claim as they know the phone system isn’t working.

MulberryPeony Sat 28-Mar-20 07:45:25

I’ve no idea if this helps with universal credit and ID verification but my DH got his driving license verified at the post office the other week for a finance application. Not all post offices do it mind you and I guess some might be closed at the moment.

iHateJanuary2020 Sat 28-Mar-20 19:58:00

OP if you last used the UC system a few years ago, you would need to re-verify. It's for security reasons and is in fact protecting you though I know that's no comfort right now. The verification is actually another government service and takes you out of the UC system if it was able to and then, ideally, back in once verified. This is is the system struggling at the moment, not the UC system itself. A lot if the verification is now being done by staff, over the phone and so the UC processes will start to settle over the coming week.

insideoutsider Sat 28-Mar-20 20:41:24

As a PP said, it's amazing how people expect a system would work exactly the same when it goes from 8000 claimants a day to 100000 a day (or whatever the numbers are). DWP has 5 weeks to get your claim up and running - it doesn't have to be done in one day. DWP staff are now working extra hours and weekends to meet with the demand.

If you can't verify your ID, leave a message on the journal and you will get a call. A new system called 'outbound calling' is happening now, which is where they are working through a list of everyone who has made a claim and contacting them by phone to verify the ID. If they can't get to you, they'll book you a phone appointment for a few days.

Whatever the case, they are drafting people in to help. Some patience is needed. The people administering the benefits are people too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »