Talk

Advanced search

No children allowed in supermarket

(669 Posts)
flashbac Wed 25-Mar-20 11:52:22

My sister went to Tesco with her toddler and was told no children allowed from next week. Understand this is wise for infection control but what if you're a single parent with tiny kids and can't do online shopping?

Lifeisabeach09 Wed 25-Mar-20 11:53:53

Fair point, OP.
I hope there is an answer.

Iris243 Wed 25-Mar-20 11:56:05

I’m sorry but that’s ridiculous. More pressure, stress and worry for anyone who is a single parent.

Or not even single parents, but a parent who must take a child shopping because their partner is a key worker.

I can’t imagine many supermarkets will actually do this?

lilmishap Wed 25-Mar-20 11:56:10

Fuck. I have two, my online isnt until 11th april. (only available slot) So we should have all joined in with the panic and stockpiling

Samcro Wed 25-Mar-20 11:56:22

sounds a good idea. but hope they come up with a solution for lone parents(and parents of kids with sn)

tegucigalpa13 Wed 25-Mar-20 11:58:59

I think the difficulty is that some parents have been taking their kids into the supermarkets and then not controlling them making it impossible for people to keep two metres apart.

At the weekend there were tweens on roller blades skating around as if the aisles were play equipment.

Maybe a compromise would be no unrestrained children? So you could have a baby/toddler in the trolley or in a stroller but would have to make other arrangements for others.

BeetrootRocks Wed 25-Mar-20 12:00:33

?

I don't understand why they would essentially bar single parents from getting food! What on earth??

halcyondays Wed 25-Mar-20 12:01:21

What arrangements can you make if you’re a single parent with no family support? And everyone is supposed to be staying away from family members who don’t live with them, especially the elderly.

BeetrootRocks Wed 25-Mar-20 12:01:23

Tesco have made a series of Ill thought out, shit decisions during this which have caused way more harm than good.

The people making their policies are idiots tbh

lilmishap Wed 25-Mar-20 12:02:27

www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=54728&headline=Tesco%20bans%20groups%20of%20shoppers§ionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

When Tesco opens its doors on Tuesday morning, it will only be allowing one person per household to enter the building with each shop

Mr Hallwood accepted that some people, such as single parents, may struggle to get into the store under the new rules but that we all must find way to do this, whether that means someone else doing our shopping or making other arrangements

Mumof2202022 Wed 25-Mar-20 12:02:49

I have two children under 6. Looks like we won't be getting any shopping anytime soon

stophuggingme Wed 25-Mar-20 12:02:54

If this is the case then supermarket must make single parents with no other support a priority customer like the elderly and NHS staff. They are singlehandedly taking care of children on their own and if they get ill or run out of food who helps them? They will often have no choice but to go and get food with their children.

Or allocate a chunk of online slots for deliveries and do something about the fact it is impossible to get an one delivery.

enjoyingSun Wed 25-Mar-20 12:03:49

Is it just that one store or a wider policy?

I don't see how it would work as food delivery slots are all gone and many children would be too young to leave by themsleves and were not supposed to be micing with other households even if there was someone to ask.

lilmishap Wed 25-Mar-20 12:03:50

other arrangements

Not shopping in supermarkets

CaptainButtock Wed 25-Mar-20 12:05:56

Where’s Dad? (Unless he’s dead/mia in which case apologies obv)

ilovecakeandwine Wed 25-Mar-20 12:06:18

I think there needs to be some common sense applied here yes I agree children shouldn't be going to the supermarkets at the moment. I always go on my own anyway and it annoys me often that whole family's go to the supermarket like it's a day out , there had been a thread on it .
But like others have said if you are a single parent you have no choice just try go less frequently .

Awwlookatmybabyspider Wed 25-Mar-20 12:06:41

Like what, lilmishap. There are no online deliveries.

Oldbutstillgotit Wed 25-Mar-20 12:07:10

@ stophuggingme how do you police that ? If we keep adding to priority groups then everyone will be one however it does seem a strange decision.

PilatesPeach Wed 25-Mar-20 12:07:24

That is Isle of Man - is this going to be in rest of UK?

SoupDragon Wed 25-Mar-20 12:07:57

Where’s Dad? (Unless he’s dead/mia in which case apologies obv)

Seriously??

JenNtonic Wed 25-Mar-20 12:09:20

Stupid, thoughtless and possibly discrimination. Bad move Tesco 💩

Mumof2202022 Wed 25-Mar-20 12:10:04

My kids dad hasn't seen them in 3 years. My parents who help are both stuck in 12 week isolation.

Mine are both under 6 so can't be left alone. I don't think I've ever felt so vilainised for our situation.

Metheven Wed 25-Mar-20 12:10:15

Very, very difficult for single parents. But on the other side, on Saturday there were whole families out shopping, including some very small babies. Letting the kids run riot, touching everything, it was a nightmare. Why would you do that if you didn't have to?

flossyflorenceflounces Wed 25-Mar-20 12:13:07

Thanks for that Tescos. So short sighted.

Devlesko Wed 25-Mar-20 12:13:29

Can you get it delivered?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »