Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To expect a newspaper to not use slang in a serious news article

(41 Posts)
lucyellensmum Sat 08-Sep-07 21:30:40

I dont usually get all precious about the English language, on account of the fact that mine is pretty rubbish. However, i picked up a copy of the Sun in the hospital waiting room yesterday, i was trying to keep up with what was happening to the poor Mc Cann family. Throughout the artical, the police were referred to as cops. shock
angry. I do appreciate that the Sun is not exactly a broadsheet and the news is presented in a, how can i say without causing offence, dumbed down context. But Cops???? This is not only slang, but almost a humourous description of the police and i actually found it inappropriate in this instance. I find it a little patronising towards its readers too, the assumption that they would rather read slang than correct English. It is not like police is a difficult word is it. Thats it, rant over.

themoon66 Sat 08-Sep-07 21:32:32

YANBU

But then again... It is the Sun.

lucyellensmum Sat 08-Sep-07 21:37:23

well quite, but i was surprised, even for the rag. My dad said he used to buy it for the crossword, hmmmm hmm

Elasticwoman Sat 08-Sep-07 22:00:45

It used to be said that the Sun could be read and understood by any one with a reading age of 6.

Also wasn't there a political candidate once who claimed to stand for the party of Reclassify The Sun As A Comic? Any one remember that? Was it Screaming Lord Sutch?

donnie Sat 08-Sep-07 22:03:12

ummm....sorry but are you serious here?

Elasticwoman Sat 08-Sep-07 22:03:20

ps the crossword is the same one for cryptic or concise clues. Too hard for the average 6 year old I'd say.

Elasticwoman Sat 08-Sep-07 22:03:44

Serious about what, Donnie?

SenoraPostrophe Sat 08-Sep-07 22:03:55

cops is better because it takes up less space. They also use "pal" for friend, "boffin" for scientist/engineer/mathematician (presumably because they can't be bothered to check which is involved ever.

There are probably more.

Desiderata Sat 08-Sep-07 22:05:01

YANBU. It would jar with me, too.

donnie Sat 08-Sep-07 22:06:15

serious about being surprised and/or taken aback at the Sun using slang/colloquialisms and dumbing down news stories. Have you only just noticed this lucyellensmum? because it's been happening for around 30 years now.

WideWebWitch Sat 08-Sep-07 22:10:07

(or used to be), There's a fantastic book called Stick it up your punter which is v illuminating and a great read about The Sun. Don't underestimate it.

But anyway, if you read a tabloid I hardly expect you can be surprised to read stuff like

MP in 3 in a bed romp shock
tot in dog maul horror

So either don't read tabloids or live with it. YABU imo.

LittleBella Sat 08-Sep-07 22:10:13

LOL

Are you serious?

<bemused>

LittleBella Sat 08-Sep-07 22:11:12

Tot and romp are words you don't use in real life, they're only used in tabloids

WideWebWitch Sat 08-Sep-07 22:11:29

Sorry, don't know what happened there, was talking at same time and my hands made a multi tasking mix up

donnie Sat 08-Sep-07 22:12:46

the fewer syllables the better. Plus lots of alliteration. Puts Eliot to shame.

WideWebWitch Sat 08-Sep-07 22:12:52

Exactly. There are lots of words used by the tabloid press which are rarely used irl. The trouble is, if you read them you find yourself saying things like "did you read about X in the MP Sex shock shocker?" - i.e. repeatig the headline verbatim! (Used to buy news of screws sometimes)

stepfordwife Sat 08-Sep-07 22:14:06

...and has anyone ever had a "romp"? grin

stepfordwife Sat 08-Sep-07 22:16:35

..sorry just seen your post, lb...
makes two of us who haven't romped then...

southeastastra Sat 08-Sep-07 22:17:53

god all the orrible things going on in this world and you worry about the sun

ScottishMummy Sat 08-Sep-07 22:24:46

LOL southeastra o i think of sun as a comic not reputable newspaper

LittleBella Sat 08-Sep-07 22:26:15

I love the idea of romping.

It sounds so healthy and natural and outdoor.

But I suspect it may not be...

donnie Sat 08-Sep-07 22:27:01

I have a romper suit.

LittleBella Sat 08-Sep-07 22:27:46

LOL

Would it be a mistake to ask you what it looks like?

Would it lead us places we may not want to go?

startouchedtrinity Sat 08-Sep-07 22:28:40

I agree with WWW. If you read the Sun, that is what you get.

Another Tabloid word is raunchy. Ugh!

donnie Sat 08-Sep-07 22:30:08

You don't want to go there bella.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now