Talk

Advanced search

To expect plane damaged buggy to be FULLY repaired or completey replaced by baggage claims

(13 Posts)
MrsPuddleduck Sat 08-Sep-07 14:48:08

I have a Pliko which I completely love and which we took to Majorca this year on holiday. It is 3 1/2 years old but still works well.

When we got back from Palma I noticed that the fabric was ripped and that there was a small tear in the hood and the hood is bent and at an angle now.

I have sent it off to be repaired by M&P who have sent it back to me with patches on the front where the rip was and said that they can't replace the hood as they no longer make the particular fabric/style.

I am a bit of a puschair snob and to be quite honest it has gone from acceptable to Chavvy.

I am making a claim for the damage anyway as I have been charged £50 for the repair job. Who would insist that they got a replacement buggy?

derlor Sat 08-Sep-07 14:53:03

Me, i would - shout loud till you get it replaced, good luck.

Anoah Sat 08-Sep-07 14:54:50

I think the airline should be liable. There was no need for your pushchair to be damaged. They could at least give you a voucher or something.

derlor Sat 08-Sep-07 15:00:47

you know what, the way baggage handlers just chuck everyones cases and buggies etc about is a disgrace, stuff must get damaged all the time.
we had a case that got damaged once and the airport would only give us a replacement one that they had to hand. the case in question was part of a set and obviously the replacement one didn't match. i was angry cause i like my things to match (some may say i'm sad and snobby but i don't care)
I feel your pain and anger - no one wants a chavy buggy wink
Bloody airports!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK, sorry rant over smile

Budababe Sat 08-Sep-07 15:11:15

Who did you fly with? Ryanair don't cover you for buggies anyway as we discovered to our cost.

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 08-Sep-07 15:19:07

You will need to check their terms and conditions re claiming, some dont cover buggies at all. If they do offer some form of cover its usually the repair cost or the cost of the original item less depreciation. Very few offer a new for old policy.

If they do cover them, they should pick up the repair cost but unlikely to give you a new buggy.

MrsPuddleduck Sat 08-Sep-07 15:20:49

We flew with Thompsons and I know that they will reimburse me the £50 repair bill (less a £30 excess grrr).

I feel like telling them that the hood was fine when we left, it now slopes to one side and that I want a replacement puschair as it cannot be repaired(at a cost of £230.00 blush).

LIZS Sat 08-Sep-07 15:55:23

Trouble is you have already "accepted" the repair which may compromise any further claim to a new one. Did you have to agree a quote ? Someone else on here (nailpolish ?) had a dispute with an airline over a damaged buggy and didn't even get full replacement value, it was depreciated each year for wear and tear regardles sof previous actual condition, so you may not actually get much more for it that way.

LIZS Sat 08-Sep-07 15:56:19

Can't you get a generic coloured hood to coordinate - they used to do plain ones.

MrsPuddleduck Sat 08-Sep-07 16:00:20

I am cross because I took it to the local department store to send it away to be repaired.

They just phoned me to say it was back and it could be collected and then presented me with a bill for £50.00 so I didn't have much choice other than to pay.

I suppose I should of told them to get M&P to phone me with a quote but I actually thought it was fixable.

I presume that there is not a matching hood as M&P wold have suggested it, although I could phone and ask them.

I have decided that I am definately not spending the next two years walking around with a wonky hood! The pushchair looks ridiculous!

LIZS Sat 08-Sep-07 16:00:36

ah no sorry, it was mckenzie thread here

3madboys Sat 08-Sep-07 16:10:56

i think as you have had it repaired (despite it not being up to a good standard) then you will be hard pushed to get much compensation

also despite the fact that the pushchair now does not look very nice (i wouldnt want to use it either going by your desciption) it IS still functional and fulfils its 'job description' unless you can show that the wonky hood creates a problem? ie when you attach the raincover is it too close to the childs face etc, and therefore unsafe as the child may overheat or feel claustrophobic etc? if you can show that it is unusable you will have a better chance at claiming, rather than the fact that is it 'unsightly' ifyswim? hth

MrsPuddleduck Sat 08-Sep-07 16:11:32

Thanks. The McKenzie thread made grim viewing.

I will have to say the pliko cost as much as I can and hope for the best I suppose.

I have looked after the puschair really well as I knew I would be able to use it for DS2 and it looks as if I needn't have bothered!

I do have a report from M&P saying that the hood can't be fixed and we do live in a rainy country fgs so I can hardly be expected to use it all winter.

If I've had it 3 years and they knock of 20% per year it wont be anywhere near enough to replace it!

Bloody airlines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: