Talk

Advanced search

Big Row

(8 Posts)
MilkMonitor Fri 07-Sep-07 08:35:06

My MIL simply won't throw anything away.

This weekend, a just walking DS grabbed her clothes horse and one broken rusty rail end whipped up and scraped him under the eye.

DH got angry not least because DS was hurt and there's always lots of broken toys and ancient stuff at his mum's. She got angry too and an argument really got heated.

Apparently it was our fault because we've always known it was broken and dangerous. WTF?

I know DS is our responsibility but one would expect a clothes horse to be intact, surely and not represent a hazard? Or AIBU? It's v. frosty round our end now!

binkleandflip Fri 07-Sep-07 08:37:52

Neither is being unreasonable imo.

You know she wont throw anything away and so stuff is liable to be a bit dodgy at her house.

She knows DS just walking and needs to be safe.

Can you compromise that when he's there stuff can be put out of his way a bit or he can be watched a little more closely.

MilkMonitor Fri 07-Sep-07 08:39:20

But a clothes horse?

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 07-Sep-07 08:40:13

I think you're both being unreasonable - and you're both right!

Next time you go round there, your first job should be to toddler-proof the room(s) that you're in. You will see things that your MIL won't see anyway because you're more 'in the moment'.

I'm sure she's angry/frosty because she probably feels very guilty about the whole incident.

binkleandflip Fri 07-Sep-07 08:49:13

but its her house = her stuff so irrelevant whether clothes horse or anything else. I think compromise can be reached quite easy if you can make up over it and not let if fester tbh.

Spandex Fri 07-Sep-07 09:01:52

YANBU.

She knew you were coming with your child. She should toddler proof her house if she wants you to visit. How are you supposed to relax if something inocuous like a clothes horse can hurt a child? Is she very poor and can't get a decent one or something? Being vigilant with toddler is v. important but there are limits!

gobledegook Fri 07-Sep-07 10:21:20

No you are not unreasonable. If your dc loses his eyesite because of dangerous environment you will spend the rest of your life blaming yourself for being weak and so will DH. I would remind her that we all have to put safety first and then sadly if she still thinks this is unreasonable u must stop going there.

Neverenoughhandbags Fri 07-Sep-07 10:37:11

YANBU. Of course you want to ensure your baby is safe.A nasty injury was avoided by sheer chance.You wouldn't allow him to play in a junkyard. If her house is full of potential dangers why would you want him to go there?
The options are: she makes it safe or allows you to do so (if you want to)or you don't take him there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: