Talk

Advanced search

I just heard a coronavirus theory and it kind of has weight...

(183 Posts)
Strawberrypancakes Fri 28-Feb-20 21:30:35

So, this time of year people get sick. I personally have had a bad cough with fever, my daughter a chest infection and several friends flu. (Mild though, to be fair)

So the world is in turmoil and at boiling point re people flying etc. What to do... how about we invent a super panic situation with an illness that is quite general in terms of winter illness symptoms and try to get people to care...

Cue businesses saying they work remotely, people cancelling flights and holidays, people not booking flights and holidays, airlines having to cancel flights due to last of sales and airports closing, and I don’t even believe we’re at the pinnacle. (I’m paraphrasing from a friend)

People might not care about the earth as an ‘ I’m alright jack’ thing... but do they care about a pandemic?? Sure.

So, I know it’s probably unreasonable... but I can kind of see it.

What do you think?

Sparklesocks Fri 28-Feb-20 21:33:10

Sounds a bit tin-foil-hat-flat-earthy to me I’m afraid OP. Who is the ‘they’ who created this then?

TheMemoryLingers Fri 28-Feb-20 21:34:05

I don't think it really has legs - a fake pandemic situation couldn't be dragged on forever and any cancelled flights etc. would be too insignificant to make a difference in the long term.

wouldyouadamandeveit Fri 28-Feb-20 21:34:16

To be honest, in this day and age, nothing would surprise me.

bookworm14 Fri 28-Feb-20 21:34:44

Oh for god’s sake what nonsense.

Lockheart Fri 28-Feb-20 21:35:15

YABVU to post another bloody coronavirus thread, although I'll give you points for originality.

Strawberrypancakes Fri 28-Feb-20 21:35:45

I’m not sure... but it’s not unimaginable to me. What sets this coronavirus apart from the general January sickness? And why the huge panic situation etc...

LidlDonkey Fri 28-Feb-20 21:36:01

If only our government cared that much!

WickedlyPetite Fri 28-Feb-20 21:36:16

Nah.

I'd buy into the theory that the Chinese government have released the virus to control their population though.

Strawberrypancakes Fri 28-Feb-20 21:36:40

Bookworm - why nonsense? Something a very educated friend put to me and it didn’t sound entirely unreasonable.

Rumplestrumpet Fri 28-Feb-20 21:36:47

Who are you suggesting is behind this?!? And who is in on it?!?

In my experience of 15 years as a civil servant, people vastly overestimate the government's ability to organise things. That's how I know conspiracy theories are nonsense- they give far too much credit to government!

avocadoze Fri 28-Feb-20 21:36:49

I wonder whether it’s against mn talk guidelines to post conspiracy theories about a serious health topic? I’ll find out by reporting, I guess.

skyblu Fri 28-Feb-20 21:37:15

I think.......wha????
Sorry, I don’t really understand your post or what you’re trying/not trying to say confused

AudacityOfHope Fri 28-Feb-20 21:37:15

What are you on about, I can't make out who you think has made it up or what they would have to gain?

SerendipityJane Fri 28-Feb-20 21:37:45

Correlation is not causation grin

With that being said, I'm mildly amused that while last year "the worlds on fire and other people are dying" didn't seem to garner much of a reaction the message "The worlds on fire and you might die" seems to have concentrated minds wonderfully.

attatiti Fri 28-Feb-20 21:38:28

No

FlamingoAndJohn Fri 28-Feb-20 21:38:39

I understand the stock markets have dropped. They won’t want that to happen (whoever they are)

RealLifeHotWaterBottle Fri 28-Feb-20 21:38:41

I really cant imagine someone saying "lets tank the stock markets, cripple self employed and small business owners and place even more strain on our health services to cut down on flights".

Its a no from me

FredaFrogspawn Fri 28-Feb-20 21:38:55

That Greta is a meddling kid. hmm

grin

BudgieHammockBananaSmuggler Fri 28-Feb-20 21:39:13

I think you must be hard of thinking. Maybe get it checked out

Cremebrule Fri 28-Feb-20 21:39:17

A load of rubbish. Pandemic plans have been in place for years. It’s always been known that flying and international travel will speed up the transmission of disease. It is only natural than travel will potentially need to be restricted. No-one is doing this for the fun of it. No-one is doing this as a stealth climate change solution.

FlibbertyGiblets Fri 28-Feb-20 21:39:17

Tin foil hattie for OP but huge Omg AMAZINGs to LidlDonkey. Genius level cleverness there with that username.

gamerchick Fri 28-Feb-20 21:39:37

Na man, this is my favourite theory. It's all happening. 'they' wouldn't fake a pandemic just to stop planes.

Butterer Fri 28-Feb-20 21:39:38

I'm not sure how to read your theory - are you saying that CV is a deliberate strategy to stop climate change? Or that it's to induce more empathy among the general population?
Either interpretation sounds equally bats.

Strawberrypancakes Fri 28-Feb-20 21:40:10

Hmmm.. the stock market thing is true. Actually, that makes me doubt it 😂

I was kind of convinced my friend had a point about the world wanting a way to save the environment but I agree they wouldn’t want to tank the economy to do so...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »