Talk

Advanced search

To think if you don't give your kids pancakes

(403 Posts)
peettaleetta Mon 24-Feb-20 21:38:20

Tomorrow that is really mean!

Unless you never partake in pancake /shrove Tuesday,

If you do, and just 'can't be bothered' you're a mean mum/dad..

Have seen people who can perfectly afford it saying nah won't be bothered making kids any pancakes or giving them something sweet.

SouthernComforts Mon 24-Feb-20 21:41:08

Nope. I make dd pancakes every Saturday morning. Tomorrow we are making a chocolate fudge cake as we are both off for half term. She's not deprived.

Weebitawks Mon 24-Feb-20 21:41:32

I didn't realise it was pancake Day tomorrow 🤷

GetUpAgain Mon 24-Feb-20 21:41:37

Shrove Tuesday is a big deal in our house! I will be up early to make pancakes even though I hate mornings...

Does 'can't be bothered' = depressed? If not then yes I think its mean!

MissingLinker Mon 24-Feb-20 21:42:29

How about if I offer to pay for future ensuing therapy caused by deprivation from pancakes?
Am I still mean?

stoplickingthetelly Mon 24-Feb-20 21:42:33

We won’t have time tomorrow due to various activities so we’ve done it tonight instead. Dc seemed happy enough with that.

DesLynamsMoustache Mon 24-Feb-20 21:42:39

Ooh thanks for the reminder! We have pancakes quite a lot anyway and DD is too young to know about pancake day, but any excuse for more pancakes and I'll take it grin

We used to always have crepes for tea with lemon and sugar on Pancake Day when I was a kid smile

Reginabambina Mon 24-Feb-20 21:43:55

I didn’t realise English people did shrove Tuesday until the day before yesterday and I’ve lived here for years. I think that most people can’t be bothered surely?

ATowelAndAPotato Mon 24-Feb-20 21:44:35

Neither DD or I like pancakes. DH usually makes them for him and DS.

I think YABU though, it’s not exactly a basic human right, is it!! grin

PorpentinaScamander Mon 24-Feb-20 21:45:04

I cant make pancakes for shit. Sometimes I remember to buy ready made ones. Sometimes we don't bother. We're going to the cinema tomorrow evening anyway so I'm sure that will make up for lack of pancakes.

Lindy2 Mon 24-Feb-20 21:45:06

We will be having pancakes here tomorrow for dinner.

I like keeping up traditions. I remember having pancakes as a child and loving Shrove Tuesday. I hope to pass that on to my children.

PlugUgly1980 Mon 24-Feb-20 21:45:05

We did ours last night. Kids get them at school tomorrow anyway, and evenings are always a rush when I'm at work.

TowerRavenSeven Mon 24-Feb-20 21:45:09

I was at the corner shop and they had a bunny pan to make pancakes! So tomorrow I’m making bunny pancakes for shrove Tuesday.

peettaleetta Mon 24-Feb-20 21:45:10

Im irish, not English and yea I forgot until earlier too! @SouthernComforts yes I said anyone who can't be bothered giving their family anything sweet is kind of mean! Enjoy the cake.

OhioOhioOhio Mon 24-Feb-20 21:46:13

I think the teachers should do it, in case the children have mean pancake depriving parents.

peettaleetta Mon 24-Feb-20 21:46:15

I also like to keep the tradition (my own one) my mum couldn't make them so it was always those not so nice packet small thick ones..

I make a great pancake/crepe from scratch now grin

AudacityOfHope Mon 24-Feb-20 21:46:23

Ummm, I don't give a fuck about pancakes or pancake day. And I'm shite at making them.

Here, take my parenting badge back. I hope you can find a more worthy candidate for it than me.

CanIHaveATiaraPlease Mon 24-Feb-20 21:46:32

We had ours yesterday as dc1 was home from university. Tomorrow dc2 won’t be home till around 10pm. So none tomorrow.

ThunderboltandLightning Mon 24-Feb-20 21:46:34

Why? We are not a religious household. Why should we observe a feast day which has its origins in religion?

We eat pancakes on plenty of other days in the year when we fancy eating them.

WinterCat Mon 24-Feb-20 21:47:38

DC1 and DC2 aren’t really fans. DC4 might try a bit. I love pancakes though so plenty for me and DH.

Seasonalanxiety Mon 24-Feb-20 21:47:41

We're mid renovation. Everything is covered in dust, we have to eat sitting on sofas wedged into the spare room as the downstairs is uninhabitable. I'm cooking on a one ring electric counter top hob that goes from cold to warmish very very slowly.
DH has just asked how we me are going to manage cooking the pancakes tomorrow. So that's a family of four, 3 pancakes each, cooked individually and carried up two flights of stairs then?
We are not having pancakes.

sazapple Mon 24-Feb-20 21:47:42

Do you celebrate Ash Wednesday? Do you give something up for lent?

Some people do it, some don't. I don't think it's 'mean'.

I will be making Ive bought pancakes

DesLynamsMoustache Mon 24-Feb-20 21:48:07

DH and I were always lazy and got the mixes for ourselves but when DD arrived I decided I should really make from scratch and discovered it actually wasn't really much more difficult than the mixes, and my ones seem to turn out better too. We've got blueberries in so blueberry pancakes tomorrow it is!

Darbs76 Mon 24-Feb-20 21:48:11

I’ve been making my daughter fresh pancakes every morning since pancake day 2018. Was hoping she would tire of them but nope. If I don’t make them she goes to school without breakfast and given she’s underweight (she’s 12) I’d rather she at least ate a decent breakfast. One lot of batter lasts 2 days. Could do without it especially on work days but kind of used to it now. So normal day in my house! Ds might want one in the evening, I’m out for a meal with a friend

Herpesfreesince03 Mon 24-Feb-20 21:48:18

It’s not exactly child abuse to not take part in pancake day. It is a lovely tradition that children look forward to though, and I feel sad for the children who are going to miss out because their parents are too lazy to make the effort. You can buy pancake mix for a quid and it takes 2 minutes to make one

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »