Talk

Advanced search

to be sick of having my photo taken at work?

(52 Posts)
KatDubs261 Mon 24-Feb-20 19:00:18

Ok fair enough when I started I had an employee photo taken for online. Now we are made to put it in our signatures which I hate as my own face pops up all the time!

For the last couple of weeks at almost every meeting or event we've been having our photos taken, close ups of us working, videos of us walking around the office, you name it. I think it is because the brand is trying to make more of an effort with its image but I hate it.

Today we were asked to have our photos taken for instagram posts and I finally snapped (inside anyway). I don't want my face all over social media and I'm starting to find it quite intrusive. AIBU?

SayNoToCarrots Mon 24-Feb-20 19:02:48

Tell them you're in the witness protection programme.

KatDubs261 Mon 24-Feb-20 19:06:43

Ho ho!

KatDubs261 Mon 24-Feb-20 19:11:44

I honestly didn't mind at first but now it seems constant. I've heard others grumbling about their faces in the email sigs too

SayNoToCarrots Mon 24-Feb-20 19:12:54

I get you though. Will your name be associated with the pictures and do you have a google-friendly name?

Chottie Mon 24-Feb-20 19:16:00

According to your online poll 107% of respondents agree with you. smile

MitziK Mon 24-Feb-20 19:18:19

Find out who is responsible for GDPR. Tell them you do not wish to have your photograph used for anything and withdraw consent for it to be used. As your photo is produced along with your name in external communications, it's deemed as identifying personal information and employers must allow you to withdraw your consent and remove all photographs, such as those on letters or on social media.

You may find the section on When is Consent Invalid? useful here

roseelizabeth Mon 24-Feb-20 19:18:34

Withdraw your consent. You can do it at any time. I don't want someone to google my name and find out where I work, and to confirm it with my mug shot. Our work has just had a professional photographer in to take our pictures. I wasn't the only one not to participate. So just withdraw your consent in writing, they cannot object.

LynetteScavo Mon 24-Feb-20 19:19:44

Say no. In our website we've had photos taken down, although our names are still there. One colleague used a fake surname at work though.

crosser62 Mon 24-Feb-20 19:21:44

I outright refuse.
Not even my own mother has a single picture of me as an adult.
I absolutely, without exception will not have my picture taken at work for any purpose other than my id badge.

In today’s social media way of communicating it becomes “pressure”. I feel pressured into smiling and feeling excruciating discomfort at being photographed.
I just say no thank you, it’s not for me.
And yes, they go on and on at me but I still refuse.

SheepSocks Mon 24-Feb-20 19:23:16

I rebelled against this at my former work place and had a picture of Shaun the sheep.

purplemunkey Mon 24-Feb-20 19:23:42

I take photos at my work for promo purposes. I need consent forms every time though and people are free to say no - if they do I don’t use any pictures with them, no issue whatsoever. As above I’d ask your GDPR reps about this as it should be a given, it should be consent based.

purplemunkey Mon 24-Feb-20 19:24:55

*shouldnt be a given I mean

KatDubs261 Mon 24-Feb-20 19:30:15

Oh thank you everyone!

I had been grinning and bearing but today really gave me pause for thought - I offered alternative suggestions to having my personal photo on social media but nothing else was deemed acceptable. I'm going to opt out of this one for sure.

KatDubs261 Mon 24-Feb-20 19:31:19

There are never any consent forms. I have always had to sign consent forms for promo work at other events which is what got me thinking.

KatDubs261 Mon 24-Feb-20 19:32:00

Also @SheepSocks you are a legend

SenselessUbiquity Mon 24-Feb-20 19:51:44

This is not ok.
I hate the use of photos in sigs at work because while some people see it as "helpful" to put a face to a name, I think it just helps them with their unconscious bias. Why do you need to know I am middle aged, female and fat? You'll just fob me off. Read my words. I am sharp, quick and lethal in writing.

In public it's even worse. I've felt like we're fattened farm animals, the way my company want to exhibit us as specimens. I refuse everything that is asked, but I think they share stuff (with potential investors etc) that isn't technically legal. It really pisses me off.

BridgeToTerabithia Mon 24-Feb-20 19:52:00

I feel your pain. No photos, but there is a CCTV in my OFFICE that is just me. So no one else is there, just me and the camera. Creeps me out! It has no set hours, I will just turn around and sometimes it is on. hmm

JemilyJ Mon 24-Feb-20 19:57:40

I once paused a presentation I was giving to point out to the member of staff taking photos that I had declined consent (we were asked at every event) She looked shocked and stopped then told me afterwards she’d assumed it was ok as I’d consented in the past.

YouDancin Mon 24-Feb-20 20:01:30

@BridgeToTerabithia - that is really creppy. Do you know who is monitoring it?

YouDancin Mon 24-Feb-20 20:01:45

or creepy ... you choose

BritneyPeedOnALadybug Mon 24-Feb-20 20:02:29

Can you not just refuse? I had a photo taken for security ID card purposes but point blank refused to allow them to upload it on their website. I don’t have any identifiable social media and if you put in my (unique spelling) name on Google, no trace of me comes up and I like to keep it that way. To be fair, this is such a big deal for me that I would have walked straight out and quit if they had tried to enforce it, it wasn’t an empty threat or me being difficult for the sake of it.

Throckmorton Mon 24-Feb-20 20:05:52

Pictures in sig files?! Ask them what assessments they've done with regard to unconscious bias and the deleterious effect of this policy on their female employees. Also point out that anyone external getting an email from your company will absolutely hate you for it as the picture will make every email much much bigger. Plus it looks unprofessional.

ShesGotBetteDavisEyes Mon 24-Feb-20 20:06:25

I would leave the workplace if they insisted on this! I don’t “do” social media at all. Why should you be dictated to if it’s not your wish? Those photos presumably will be out there on the internet for evermore. YANBU.

Throckmorton Mon 24-Feb-20 20:07:42

And not just female employees actually - any protected classes that are obvious from a photo.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »