Talk

Advanced search

Is it my fault I scratched my car?

(253 Posts)
HadToWreckMyCar Mon 24-Feb-20 16:53:24

So I’m in a situation where I scratched my car whilst driving, but wasn’t really given another choice (there was one other choice but it would’ve been a nightmare). I’m wondering who you would hold at fault for this?

I have a diagram, I’m uploading from a phone (please excuse the scribbles my toddler grabbed the pen 😂)

Finfintytint Mon 24-Feb-20 16:54:59

Yes. It’s only a scratch though. Easily rectified.

Heismyopendoor Mon 24-Feb-20 16:54:59

Car was blocking the car park but you still squeezed in?

Popc0rn Mon 24-Feb-20 16:55:00

Whoever was driving the green rectangle.

Did you scratch it on another car?

JustInCaseCakeHappens Mon 24-Feb-20 16:55:33

well, if there's not enough space for your car to go through, it's your fault if you go anyway?

Is that what you meant?

Aloe6 Mon 24-Feb-20 16:56:03

Your fault. Sorry. Hope it can be easily fixed.

RedRed9 Mon 24-Feb-20 16:56:13

Are you the green car or the blue car?

Are you reversing or turning or parking or... what?

What are the round bits on your diagram?

Finfintytint Mon 24-Feb-20 16:56:57

The round bits are toddler art.

HadToWreckMyCar Mon 24-Feb-20 16:57:12

I am the green car and the purple lines are tall brick walls.

This is school run, gridlock traffic.

The blue car wasn’t visible from my vantage point and I was driving into the car park. Blue car was the only one not correctly parked in the bay.

I had committed to turning in and got part way before realising I’d never get past the blue car.

The pink cars went back in both directions and followed me when I moved (getting right up my back end). There was 15-20 cars behind me so the chances of reversing were extremely slim.

My only options (in my eyes) were to squeeze through the gap and know I’d damage my car. Or sit and wait, at peak school leaving time and hope the person in the car would arrive at some point blush

I went through the gap and took the paint off the side of my car. Could I have done anything else?

pussycatinboots Mon 24-Feb-20 16:57:24

What did you scratch your car on?

Hingeandbracket Mon 24-Feb-20 16:57:50

So I’m in a situation where I scratched my car whilst driving, but wasn’t really given another choice
Yes you were.

HadToWreckMyCar Mon 24-Feb-20 16:58:02

(Sorry for writing the explanation in a separate post!) 🙈

RedRed9 Mon 24-Feb-20 16:58:08

The teeny tiny neat ones, @Finfintytint (maybe bollards?)

Nicknacky Mon 24-Feb-20 16:58:22

You had one other option, reverse out and find another space.

HadToWreckMyCar Mon 24-Feb-20 16:58:41

The little purple dots in the entrance are metal poles, I scratched my car on the right hand one

Nicknacky Mon 24-Feb-20 16:59:26

Sorry, just seen that other cars were behind you. Then they would have to reverse if not one is getting through without damage. Did they follow you and also damage their cars?

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Mon 24-Feb-20 16:59:36

Is the blue car reversing or driving out? If you are in the green car you should wait until the way is clear.

HadToWreckMyCar Mon 24-Feb-20 16:59:38

Nicknacky, I couldn’t reverse as a lot of other cars had me gridlocked confused

HadToWreckMyCar Mon 24-Feb-20 16:59:56

Blue car was parked and the driver had left it

SimonJT Mon 24-Feb-20 17:00:12

You could have waited, or not turned in and parked elsewhere. You essentially purposely drove into a wall...

pussycatinboots Mon 24-Feb-20 17:00:26

ah, cross posted.
Did you damage the other car?
If not, just get it repaired either through your insurance or if it's an old banger/not that bad (no dents) get an independent garage to quote for a respray.

Nicknacky Mon 24-Feb-20 17:00:33

So did they follow you and damage their cars?

RedRed9 Mon 24-Feb-20 17:00:36

The person who left the blue car like that was a dick.

But it’s your fault. Obviously don’t purposely drive through a gap when you know it will scratch your car!

JustInCaseCakeHappens Mon 24-Feb-20 17:01:19

If you can't go through, you stop and wait until the ones gluing you get the message and reverse too.

I am not sure scratching your car, and the other car in the process, would have been the solution chosen by the majority, it wouldn't have been my own choice.

Popc0rn Mon 24-Feb-20 17:01:20

I went through the gap and took the paint off the side of my car. Could I have done anything else?

...you could stopped your car, got out and had a look, decided you wouldn't get through without damaging your car and waited for the blue car to come back? If it's a car park for school pick up they couldn't have been far away confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »