Talk

Advanced search

Shit birthday

(97 Posts)
madcatladyforever Sun 23-Feb-20 16:00:46

I don't care about birthdays usually but this year has been really shit. I got divorced, lost my job, had to move to another county and have been unwell and was just gutted that my son just totally ignored my birthday. I've not had a call from him or a card or anything.
I'm on my own. I don't have anything to do or anywhere to go and I just feel really hurt.
They obviously must have remembered at some point this afternoon as I got an impersonal gif on WhatsApp doesn't say happy birthday or anything.
No phone call or email. We normally get on fine. I feel properly taken for granted and really disappointed.
How hard is it to send a card?

Lordfrontpaw Sun 23-Feb-20 16:02:52

How old is he?

Happy birthday - I know it’s strangers on the internet, but heartfelt nonetheless, from one Pisces to another.

💐

Palavah Sun 23-Feb-20 16:03:22

Oh that sucks. Have you moved overseas for work? For a set period of time? It sounds as though you've been having a tough time and this is just the icing on the cake.

I don't think it's unreasonable to let your son know that you were miffed he didn't remember your birthday properly.

Can you do something nice for yourself today?

FuzzyPuffling Sun 23-Feb-20 16:05:18

Happy birthday from me too.
Sounds like you have had a whole heap of rubbish at once which has perhaps made you more sensitive. Buy yourself a birthday present - it will be exactly what you wanted!

Franticbutterfly Sun 23-Feb-20 16:07:03

Happy birthday! Why not do something nice for yourself tonight? Cinema then a takeaway followed by a tub of ice cream or a big bar of chocolate? Xx

WinterCat Sun 23-Feb-20 16:07:04

Happy birthday. flowers

tiredsleepysleep Sun 23-Feb-20 16:07:33

I'm sorry OP, it does sound pretty shitty of your son. I doubt he's intentionally done it to hurt you, he'd have just not thought.. but then that's the whole issue isn't it, he hasn't thought.

A genuine happy birthday from me! And here is some birthday cake for you too! cakecakecakegrinthanks

Lordfrontpaw Sun 23-Feb-20 16:08:28

And boys can be a bit rubbish when it comes to things like this (well the ones I know anyway). Don’t take it personally!

I agree with the poster above - buy yourself something nice. It sounds like you deserve a nice treat.

madcatladyforever Sun 23-Feb-20 16:10:16

Thank you all. He's 40 so not exactly a baby.

RositaEspinosa Sun 23-Feb-20 16:11:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ILiveInSalemsLot Sun 23-Feb-20 16:11:07

Call him. Say ‘hey! Am I not worth a phone call on my birthday?’ And have a nice chat.

Sorry you’re having a rubbish day. Maybe get yourself some nice food sorted or buy yourself something.

Happy birthday cake

PinkiOcelot Sun 23-Feb-20 16:12:47

Happy birthday OP!!
That’s shit and no excuse. I don’t blame you for being upset xx

DorisDances Sun 23-Feb-20 16:15:05

I would feel the same too OP. Birthday flowers from me for you flowers

Upstartcrones Sun 23-Feb-20 16:15:31

Call him out on it otherwise it will become the norm. Tell him you are hurt.

My brother did this to my mum for years and she was just hurt over and over. She's passed now and never really said how she felt. Speak up and don't let him be a lazy bastard who takes people for granted.

Happy birthday OP. wine cakeflowers

Lordfrontpaw Sun 23-Feb-20 16:16:02

Remind him - I assume there’s no wife or partner to remind him?

FedUpOfAdulting Sun 23-Feb-20 16:17:29

Hopefully he's thinking that'll he will call you this evening x

Largeyellowdaffodil Sun 23-Feb-20 16:18:26

I don't care about birthdays usually

So he is meant to know that this year you do?

YouokHun Sun 23-Feb-20 16:20:14

I agree with @Upstartcrones, don’t be quietly hurt. Let him know, throw your toys out of the pram!

YouokHun Sun 23-Feb-20 16:21:00

And also HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! flowers

YesThatsATurdOnTheRug Sun 23-Feb-20 16:22:12

Definitely tell him how you feel.

Jayfee Sun 23-Feb-20 16:22:17

Lordfront why should a wife or girlfriend remind a 40 year old about his mum's birthday?? OP just text him and say some thing to remind him. I got a phonecall last birthday and although I am not grabby at all I just said ' so.. no birthday card for your mum?' and two days later he came over with a card and flowers. He probably needs reminding that it matters to you. Happy birthday.

Thedogscollar Sun 23-Feb-20 16:22:50

Theres always one isn't there largeyellowdaffodil?hmm Happy Birthday OPflowerscake

ScarlettBlaize Sun 23-Feb-20 16:24:08

@Lordfrontpaw

Remind him - I assume there’s no wife or partner to remind him?

Sorry, what?

Lordfrontpaw Sun 23-Feb-20 16:24:13

Because most men I know need a reminder to buy a card or preset. Sad but true. My brother and dad (and son) were/are the same - the assumption was that mum/sil would do the honours.

TwoleftUggs Sun 23-Feb-20 16:29:02

Happy Birthday OP!
Your son sounds like my brother. His wife sends cards and gifts on his behalf but I’ve never had a text message or any other kind of message on the day to show he remembered!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »