Talk

Advanced search

To take my old kitchen knives to the cops?

(148 Posts)
TheQueef Sun 23-Feb-20 13:39:20

Cleared out the draw of failed utensils and have now 14 knives all sharp, various sizes.
I checked Google and as far as I can find you wrap the blade in cardboard etc and throw it in general waste, ours goes to landfill.
I don't like the idea of that at all firstly they could accidentally hurt someone, second they could be discovered by kids, thirdly resurface in ten years with my DNA all over them looking like a knife fetishist.
So.
I want to take them to the police station, put them in the amnesty bucket or summat.

My Ddad and DS think I'm being melodramatic and over thinking it. Plus there isn't a knife amnesty so won't be a bucket hmm

AIBU and getting carried away?

Thymelord Sun 23-Feb-20 13:40:50

You are being utterly ridiculous. This is a joke, surely?

june2007 Sun 23-Feb-20 13:40:58

Where do you think the police knives will end up?

DDIJ Sun 23-Feb-20 13:41:34

My knives are stabbed into the garden with the handles sticking out. I didn't know how to dispose of them blush

TheQueef Sun 23-Feb-20 13:41:44

Is that where they go? Landfill?

BubblyBarbara Sun 23-Feb-20 13:42:01

Police knives get smelted, they don't go into landfill

ChippyDucks150 Sun 23-Feb-20 13:42:40

Haha I was going to do this too grin but I don't want to look like a loon so they're currently in my hall cupboard

Wifeofbikerviking Sun 23-Feb-20 13:42:59

Metal scrapman

ElizabethMountbatten Sun 23-Feb-20 13:42:57

Obviously, the police will keep these knives in a secure vault, after blunting them and removing all traces of your DNA in case of a criminal mastermind breaking in and taking them, framing you for a terrible crime 🙄

Just chuck them safely

GinDrinker00 Sun 23-Feb-20 13:43:07

Made me chuckle, this is something I’d worry about.

Bubblemonkey Sun 23-Feb-20 13:43:26

With the levels of knife crime, I wouldn’t say you’re being too unreasonable

GinDrinker00 Sun 23-Feb-20 13:43:40

*Pressed post to quickly. Just wrap them up and chuck them in the bin.

managedmis Sun 23-Feb-20 13:43:43

My knives are stabbed into the garden with the handles sticking out. I didn't know how to dispose of them

^

You're kidding?

Babyg1995 Sun 23-Feb-20 13:43:44

Wtf confused

Wifeofbikerviking Sun 23-Feb-20 13:44:13

Ours comes driving round every Sunday ringing a bell from his ban thing and shoiting "scrap metal"

But there is also a metal recycling point at the local tip. So it's not just landfill

TheReluctantCountess Sun 23-Feb-20 13:44:55

😆

Withorwithouthim Sun 23-Feb-20 13:45:06

Recycle them? Our local tip takes metal, I must admit I probably wouldn't take all in one go, but then I also worry about daft things.

Fr0g Sun 23-Feb-20 13:46:22

call 101. the non emergency police number?
let us know what they suggest.

wafflyversatile Sun 23-Feb-20 13:46:39

I tried to give kitchen knives to a charity but they wouldnt take them and directed me over the road to the police station. There was a knife box. Dont know if it is always there. I felt slightly embarrassed as people looked round at the clanging.

TheQueef Sun 23-Feb-20 13:47:36

Tut.
I had an idea that the police would melt it all down, you've made me feel silly now!

I need to visit the tip anyway so I can check there, after I blunt them. Good idea.

Melfish Sun 23-Feb-20 13:48:36

The main police station in a neighbouring borough has a knife bin.

KittenVsBox Sun 23-Feb-20 13:49:02

We have permanent knife amnesty bins at the local police stations, so I think I'd take a collection there. Just one I would probably wrap and put in the wheely bin.

Have a Google of "knife angel" to see what they have done with some surrendered knives. I think people who have lost family through knife crime could get a message engraved on some of the blades.

Sizeofalentil Sun 23-Feb-20 13:56:38

I'd just offer them for free on a local freebie site or freecycle

Walkthedinosauuuuur Sun 23-Feb-20 13:58:34

I put mine into a plastic milk bottle with the top cut off and then into the general waste bin. This is what the results on Google told me to do. I understand your apprehension but the advice came from the government recycling programme website so it's obviously the right way to go.

millymae Sun 23-Feb-20 13:59:42

You can laugh at OP (and me) all you want but I I don’t think OP is being stupid at all and if the police had anything about them they’d give the matter some consideration. Part of their job is to prevent crime so a safe drop of point would fit in with this.
It’s easy to say dispose of them safely but what exactly is safe. I live in an area where knife crime is rife and a metal scrapman does a tour of the area once in a blue moon. There is a recycling system where the collectors empty the receptacles using their hands so leaving knives in the bin would be a health and safety issue for them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »